↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Puma DCPU - Rear Seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Three brackets. Two seater has brackets on either side, single seat has one bracket. You need a 10mm spanner.
Remove the nuts on the side of the seats and then you can easily fold them.
Post #664379 14th Nov 2017 8:19pm
tookaphotoof

@Blackwolf, the brackets are there because of the headrests. anyways, I unbolt them a lot as the childseat can’t be installed with the headrest in place.
Post #664380 14th Nov 2017 8:22pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Care to explain? How does the headrest make a difference? Thanks!

I can't see any plausible reason for the brackets, and their removal hasn't caused me an issue in the last 7 years.
Post #664408 14th Nov 2017 10:33pm
the gamekeeper

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
I'm with you on that one Blackwolf, removed the bolts from the said brackets 7 years ago to install seat covers never replaced then, I drop the seats all the time to access socket set and first aid box, good little storage space.

Tony
Post #664421 15th Nov 2017 7:39am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Took this photo this morning. It seems to be similar to the part suggested by Blackwolf. However, it is only on the right hand side, no LHS version visible at all, and is not actually attached to anything. Is this the right item? Is it in the right place? Or is this an inexplicable extra item and the correct placement is behind (as opposed to alongside) the seats, as seems to be indicated by the exploded diagram uploaded by BW. Would a MY2011 DCPU have ever had a simpler, non-folding set of seats or were they always Puma from the get-go? Seriously confused and wonder if someone in the past has replaced these seats with a duff set?

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #664433 15th Nov 2017 8:54am
TimDaw

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Aintree Green
Do the tipping levers at the base of the seat, back corner seem to work? On mine one side they click open and close properly but n the other side it seems to be slightly misaligned and only unlocks with a bit of pushing on the seat back.
Post #664438 15th Nov 2017 9:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As far as I know all TDCi SW, USW, and DC vehicles left the factory with essentially the same second row seats. Obvoiusly the upholstery differs, but the subframe is (as far as I know) the same throughout production with two exceptions.

The first, and only significant, exception is that the second row seats in DC vehicles have a modified tipping catch on the backrest so that when the backrest is in the raised (ie being sat-on) position it is more upright than it would be on a SW/USW seat, since there is insufficient clearance behind the seats for the normal level of reclination. Thismeans that although a DC seat could be fitted into an SW, and SW seat will not fit in a DC.

The second is that the DC seats are fitted with the brackets which have been the subject of this thread.

On my 2007 DC, although I cannot remember if there was one bracket per seat or three (or four) in total, I can remember that each bracket was in two parts. There is one part which bolts to the bulkhead, which is the part shown in the photo above and the part shown in the parts catalogue illustration I posted above, and there is a second smaller part which is bolted to the seatback and which then joins to the bulkhead bracket. This is not shown in any parts listing I can find, appears to be missing in the phots above, and I do not have a picture of one. I do somewhere have all the parts I removed from mine, but finding them would be prohibitively time-consuming, I am afraid.

It certainly appears, Grenadier, that your seats had the brackets but that the seat has been disconnected from them, and there is not sign of the bit that should be attached to the seat. If you seats were the original, unmodified, ex-factory seats, I woudl expect them to tip when the tipping lever is operated. The fact that they have clerly been messed with, the brackets have been tampered with, and you say that you can't tip them, suggests to me that they are not the originals, or is they are, they have been altered.

Perhaps someone has fitted SW/USW seats and has locked the backrest at a non-standard angle somehow to allow the to be fitted? Perhaps someone has attempted to modify the original seat to be more tilted? There is definitely something that is not standard about your seats, I am afraid.
Post #664465 15th Nov 2017 10:53am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I removed the brackets from my DCPU a few weeks into ownership. Definitely recommend doing so as the space it opens up is so useful...

On inspection I remember it being blatantly obvious what needed removing. This and the fact that your seats rock slightly make me wonder whether your issue may be somewhere else.

When the brackets are fitted there is no movement in the seat backs whatsoever
Post #664493 15th Nov 2017 12:08pm
Grenadier

I think something dodgy is going on. Any thoughts on how I might find out the original spec? Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #664591 15th Nov 2017 6:32pm
tookaphotoof

Two seat part of factory standard:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #664593 15th Nov 2017 6:36pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Grenadier wrote:
I think something dodgy is going on. Any thoughts on how I might find out the original spec?

Is yours an xs from factory? If not someone may have put half leather seats in to replace cloth and not bothered bolting the brackets back on? Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html

Last edited by mk1collector on 15th Nov 2017 10:50pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #664599 15th Nov 2017 6:51pm
Grenadier

Think you may be right.

Tookaphotoof, thank you for ‘taking a photo of’ ( Thumbs Up ) the brackets, will do some digging over the weekend.

Frankly I don’t care if the brackets are there or not. But if they’re not, I’ve no idea how to get the seats to fold so that I can get them out for soundproofing. Could be a right &@5^€%.... Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #664603 15th Nov 2017 6:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12