↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > Security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
Security
How viable is it that we start a list of bona-fide verified members? To be on the list you must be verified by another member who has met you, knows your address, knows you etc. There would not be "guarantees", but at least we would then know that at least a lot of us are genuine? People not on the list or not known have the option of being deemed safe by dint of long communication (or other agreed method) or visiting or being visited by another member for a chat.

Because you see, I don't actually approve of PayPal. They are robbing Censored in my book. Also a relay service needs to be done using a trusted network, not some dodgy pikeys who nicks your seats. V8 90...WIP
Post #663395 11th Nov 2017 10:45am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
It's a fine idea Paul, but it would likely be a full time job for someone, plus the liability involved in getting it wrong Shocked

Lots of ideas floating around my head as well (including stopping ads entirely).

Understand your comments on PayPal too, however for a buyer what's the alternative? The banks have no similar secured/protected fraud-free system in place.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #663406 11th Nov 2017 11:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Do you mean in the context of "safe sellers"? or a general two tier system throughout the forum?
The former makes some sense, not sure about the latter.
One thing to bear in mind is that by definition this is an internet forum and not a "real" 4x4 club and some people might live remote or work unsociable hours etc and shouldn't be made to feel second class members or feel left out in general.
But when it comes to selling, which is (or is meant to be) a peripheral benefit and not the core purpose of the forum then any pre-screening etc is fair game.

One thing we shouldn't do is let the recent incident ruin the forum (easy for me to say as I wasn't a victim).
Just my thoughts. Thumbs Up

Edit: started typing before Martin's reply but was slooow)
Post #663410 11th Nov 2017 11:22am
Paulv8

Martin wrote:
It's a fine idea Paul, but it would likely be a full time job for someone, plus the liability involved in getting it wrong Shocked

Lots of ideas floating around my head as well (including stopping ads entirely).

Understand your comments on PayPal too, however for a buyer what's the alternative? The banks have no similar secured/protected fraud-free system in place.

There must be a method of doing it without it being a huge workload. Also it must be understood there is no liability. It is up to the group (who would alawys jnow at least one other person) to self police. V8 90...WIP
Post #663448 11th Nov 2017 1:25pm
Paulv8

apt100 wrote:
Do you mean in the context of "safe sellers"? or a general two tier system throughout the forum?
The former makes some sense, not sure about the latter.
One thing to bear in mind is that by definition this is an internet forum and not a "real" 4x4 club and some people might live remote or work unsociable hours etc and shouldn't be made to feel second class members or feel left out in general.
But when it comes to selling, which is (or is meant to be) a peripheral benefit and not the core purpose of the forum then any pre-screening etc is fair game.

One thing we shouldn't do is let the recent incident ruin the forum (easy for me to say as I wasn't a victim).
Just my thoughts. Thumbs Up

Edit: started typing before Martin's reply but was slooow)

I meant the former V8 90...WIP
Post #663449 11th Nov 2017 1:26pm
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Martin wrote:

Understand your comments on PayPal too, however for a buyer what's the alternative? The banks have no similar secured/protected fraud-free system in place.

It would be a real shame if the actions of one forum member mean't we cannot buy and sell on here.

If the only safe way of sending money is to use Paypal then perhaps make that a requirement of selling on here, I appreciate that they charge but it amounts to between 3 & 4% so in reality on a £200 item it's around £7. Not a lot for the reassurance that if something goes wrong you can get your money back. 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #663461 11th Nov 2017 2:44pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Its simple if someone comes on here to sell with a few posts dont buy off them. If a long term poster is selling something ask other members if its safe to buy. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #663470 11th Nov 2017 3:37pm
ken

United Kingdom 
What he said
Post #663481 11th Nov 2017 4:48pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
What about making it mandatory for all ads to explicitly state that payment can be made by PayPal protected purchase? Could the forum automatically put a header or footer on all ads to say the buyer should use PayPal to buy? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #663482 11th Nov 2017 4:57pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
AndrewS wrote:
Its simple if someone comes on here to sell with a few posts dont buy off them. If a long term poster is selling something ask other members if its safe to buy.

Yes Andrew and Ken I agree but this Con man was smart and its easy see how people got caught out ......

I believe he had a post count of over 400 odd, which he was bumping up by adding words to the word association thread and commenting now and again in threads to make it look like he was a genuine member.

Nidge
Post #663483 11th Nov 2017 5:03pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
pug306.net changed their rules on selling, by stating if you want to sell anything, you have to become a donator, That way if there was any trouble the buyer could ask for the address of the seller from the admin etc. The club used the extra money to upgrade the site software etc, Question did it work? yes it did. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #663488 11th Nov 2017 5:21pm
flydive

Switzerland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Re: Security
Paulv8 wrote:
How viable is it that we start a list of bona-fide verified members? To be on the list you must be verified by another member who has met you, knows your address, knows you etc.

Might work for UK members, but what about us foreigners?
Post #663489 11th Nov 2017 5:23pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I think the problem, from Martin’s perspective, once you start collecting personal data you are into a whole world of regulation. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #663490 11th Nov 2017 5:25pm
Paulv8

Re: Security
flydive wrote:
Paulv8 wrote:
How viable is it that we start a list of bona-fide verified members? To be on the list you must be verified by another member who has met you, knows your address, knows you etc.

Might work for UK members, but what about us foreigners?

Well it is difficult. But like I also said, there needs to be an additional process which may just involve direct comms with some evidence.

Personally I would have to go through that process with you anyway to buy/sell as you are abroad. So doing it once and having you on a deemed safe list would reassure me. V8 90...WIP
Post #663492 11th Nov 2017 5:36pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
I think I will keep my avatar as it is for now.
Post #663506 11th Nov 2017 6:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>