↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > Security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
Bluest wrote:
I think the problem, from Martin’s perspective, once you start collecting personal data you are into a whole world of regulation.

No data would be collected. For instance i know Andyred90 and Caterham, as well as others i have done business with. I can vouch for these people. They can vouch for me, the network sort of spreads out itself from wherever it starts really. V8 90...WIP

Last edited by Paulv8 on 11th Nov 2017 7:35pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #663507 11th Nov 2017 7:30pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
^ exactly Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #663508 11th Nov 2017 7:32pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Maybe for those members who have sold items to other members on this forum they could add a short note saying, successfully sold such and such to this person or persons. That way anyone who is not confident of the sales add could PM the people mentioned who have completed transactions with the seller to verify the person selling as someone who is trustworthy. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #663512 11th Nov 2017 7:39pm
Chris90V8

England 1987 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Portofino Red
⬆⬆⬆⬆...wise words ðŸšœ. ...... . .... . .. 🚗ðŸšðŸš›ðŸššðŸššðŸš—🚙ðŸš
Post #663517 11th Nov 2017 7:45pm
flydive

Switzerland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Paulv8 wrote:
Bluest wrote:
I think the problem, from Martin’s perspective, once you start collecting personal data you are into a whole world of regulation.

No data would be collected. For instance i know Andyred90 and Caterham, as well as others i have done business with. I can vouch for these people. They can vouch for me, the network sort of spreads out itself from wherever it starts really.

I still think is an overreaction and not practical at all.

In my instance, the closest forum member to me is probably 4 hours drive from here, should I drive all the way just to sell a £50 item so he can vouch for me? And how would you trust him?

I do not know you and I do not know Andyred90, why should I trust you to vouch for each other?

Yes, what happened is bad and I hope he gets caught and pays for everything, but let's not overreact and distrust everybody and complicate things to an excess.
Post #663518 11th Nov 2017 7:49pm
Paulv8

But have you bought and sold anything already? Could you verify yourself by other means? if not, it won't mean you cant sell.. But it'd be no worse than it is now. But if you could be verified, all the better.. What i suggest means that at least some woukd be verified.

As to those I know, well hopefully we would start with martin and those who he can vouch for.... Somewhere down the line, i would hope others can be verified that can verify me.. If not, i am no worse off.

But when you need some 1200 quid seats collecting from near me and moving to somewhere i travel too, at least, if verified, you have some idea that they might not be stolen. V8 90...WIP
Post #663522 11th Nov 2017 8:00pm
Paulv8

gilarion wrote:
Maybe for those members who have sold items to other members on this forum they could add a short note saying, successfully sold such and such to this person or persons. That way anyone who is not confident of the sales add could PM the people mentioned who have completed transactions with the seller to verify the person selling as someone who is trustworthy.

My only issue with relying on transactional history alone is that it's too easy to sell a couple of cheap bits, gain trust, then go for the big scam.

Problem is of course, i guess that even with my method, its pretty hard to trust people fully. I know that both Andy and Wayne could be trusted with my money and my car even, and they know that that applied in reverse but that isn't always the case V8 90...WIP

Last edited by Paulv8 on 11th Nov 2017 8:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #663524 11th Nov 2017 8:05pm
flydive

Switzerland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Yes, I can vouch for a couple of guys on the Disco forum, and they can vouch for me.

Would you then feel comfortable to buy from any of us.

Can we make the list?
Post #663528 11th Nov 2017 8:09pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Yes, perhaps a list of approved / verified sellers? Then it's up to the buyer to check the list? 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #663541 11th Nov 2017 8:47pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
ginjez wrote:
I think I will keep my avatar as it is for now.

Yes, you can quickly lose respect for people Laughing

In all seriousness...
Don't lose faith in people, chaps.

Good, decent long lasting friendships have been born from this forum. There's a lot of good guys I've met here and proud to class them as friends, in person, on Instagram and Facebook.

Except that gay guy, who was hitting on many of us Laughing
Post #663546 11th Nov 2017 9:02pm
NoDo$h

England 
flydive wrote:
Yes, I can vouch for a couple of guys on the Disco forum, and they can vouch for me.

Would you then feel comfortable to buy from any of us.

Can we make the list?

There are a few who are part of the furniture on more than one of Martin's sites. I think of you as a rather well kept Chesterfield Thumbs Up 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #663550 11th Nov 2017 9:16pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Procta wrote:
pug306.net changed their rules on selling, by stating if you want to sell anything, you have to become a donator, That way if there was any trouble the buyer could ask for the address of the seller from the admin etc. The club used the extra money to upgrade the site software etc, Question did it work? yes it did.

The scammer needed an address to open his bank/building society account. If he was able to do that, how hard would it be to give a false address to a forum administrator?

Whilst not affected in this case, I have been a victim of an eBay fraud so I do know how it feels. This coatseyy thing is all very recent and probably very raw and I’m just wondering whether anger, annoyance and betrayal is colouring our opinions and ideas too much in the Security discussions?

I have to say I’m not in favour of the “vouching” proposals as this would tend to alienate and unfairly affect many of our fellow members from overseas and from more isolated uk locations.

Martin has given some good advice and so too have others. If we heed this, the risk is lessened. In the meantime, it might be prudent to let the dust settle a bit before we push forward changes which could affect the nature of what is a first rate community.
Post #663584 11th Nov 2017 10:46pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Yes I agree let the dust settle and in the meantime follow Martins advice. My chat with the bank this morning suggested this type of scam is going on all the time. The advice this morning was the same as Martin's. If you cant see the person and the goods use Paypal. If the seller wont use it, walk away. 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #663585 11th Nov 2017 10:54pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
rockster57 wrote:
Procta wrote:
pug306.net changed their rules on selling, by stating if you want to sell anything, you have to become a donator, That way if there was any trouble the buyer could ask for the address of the seller from the admin etc. The club used the extra money to upgrade the site software etc, Question did it work? yes it did.

The scammer needed an address to open his bank/building society account. If he was able to do that, how hard would it be to give a false address to a forum administrator?

Whilst not affected in this case, I have been a victim of an eBay fraud so I do know how it feels. This coatseyy thing is all very recent and probably very raw and I’m just wondering whether anger, annoyance and betrayal is colouring our opinions and ideas too much in the Security discussions?

I have to say I’m not in favour of the “vouching” proposals as this would tend to alienate and unfairly affect many of our fellow members from overseas and from more isolated uk locations.

Martin has given some good advice and so too have others. If we heed this, the risk is lessened. In the meantime, it might be prudent to let the dust settle a bit before we push forward changes which could affect the nature of what is a first rate community.

the scammer has to with draw money from paypal at some point, also the administrator would have the scammers pay pal and address too, what the admin did on pug306.net was send a free sticker and a daft little keyring thing that had to be signed for. If things went tits up, they would step in if the seller didn't sort it out. Admin would give the seller a warning to sort it out, then they would hand over the address to the buyer, and the admin would lock the sellers account right down until everything was sorted, a few accounts did get a warning bad seller. Also they did introduce a feed back system too rating the seller. It was a good system, but they did have the admins too, not to sure how many are on here, to back martin.

martin, feel free to PM me for more details about what I am suggesting, as I can ask the pug306.net admins on what they did etc, also I could even try and ask him to talk to you too. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #663622 12th Nov 2017 2:00am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Nope, I reckon to leave things as they are.
I mean, how often does this stuff happen? If what has happened is a warning to us all, then IMHO perhaps we will all be more aware in the future if we wish to purchase something, not only on this site, but anywhere.
Perhaps if one looks in hindsight (yeah, I know, it's a wonderful thing!), but maybe one might just realize a few checks one could've made, that will definitely be made next time, to prevent a repeat of this?
Perhaps some of you guys that are astute, more used to on line purchasing etc, can suggest a few checks that you do, combining to make up a site "checklist" etc?
Pickles.
Post #663623 12th Nov 2017 2:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>