↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Wiper Park Switch Problem (And How To Fix)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Snorkers

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Wiper Park Switch Problem (And How To Fix)
I have recently experienced some issues with my wipers not parking correctly on speeds 1 & 2 or with a partial wipe. They would usually park correctly if I was using the intermittent and wash wipe functions.

Vehicle is a right hand drive 2007 110" hard top with 100,000 miles. No air con fitted.

Having done some research it all pointed to the wiper park switch Land Rover part number LR057182. There are other posts regarding similar issues and how to fit the new switch, some advocating pulling out the entire dash, some advising that the dash can be left partially in.

Having carried out this job this morning, I am happy to confirm the whole dash doesn't need to be removed. The procedure I carried out is as follows

1. Removed the three torx headed screws from the top of the dashboard. They are easily visible.
2. Removed the two torx screws from the side of the dash at the passenger door jam.
3. Removed the three torx screws from the underside of the dash in the passenger foot well area. Again these are easily seen. I also removed the same three screws from under the drivers side as I believe this will help to allow the dash to flex.
4. Remove the two torx screws which hold on the passenger grab handle and withdraw same. Then I removed the same two fasteners on the drivers side which retain the trim under the instrument cluster. As per no3 this will assist in allowing the dashboard to flex.
5. I removed the two torx screws which hold on the passenger side dash cover then by pulling up formulate two spring clips will release this. (This step may not be essential but yet again, I think but helps the dash flex.

6. Now grasp the near side edge of the dash and you should be able to pull it towards the rear about 5" without unduly stressing anything. Note- the passenger door must be open at this time to allow the dash to move freely! Also note that I had not released the dash centre section and the radio remained undisturbed.
7. Looking behind the dash towards the near side, you should see the wiper motor with the white switch perched on top (and x years worth of spider carcasses Very Happy ) above this is the passenger window air trunk. This is now removed by releasing a plastic screw style panel fastener which is clearly visible. This plastic Philips screw is screwed out as far as it will seemingly come then pulled out. It will now be seen to be an expanding rivet type fitting. Now withdraw the short tube to allow better access.
8. Now pull off the grey coloured loom connector from the wiper park switch. Note - no locking tab fitted, simply pull. Then pull off the three coloured wires from the other side of the switch noting their respective positions (spade terminals)
9. Now pull up on the switch and it will slide off the motor. It is held on by a small panel fastener style spring clip. (This will be obvious if you are in possession of a new switch)
10. Push on the new switch - this was a bit fiddly but it was obvious when it was correctly seated, feeling as though it 'clicked' if in doubt try to pull it off again. It seems to take more effort to remove than to fit. No harm should come of removing and refitting. (Just be sure not to drop it down the back of the dash!)
11. Refit the three spade connectors and the grey multi plug. At this point switch on the ignition and test the wipers. If all is well they will now work and park correctly. If satisfied that all is well, simply reverse the procedures carried out to reinstate the removed parts

This took about an hour and a half going canny. With the knowledge gained, I believe it would take about 30 mins to to the job again, should the need arise. (Hopefully not)

All in all not an overly taxing job, and I've freakishly large hands (think Frankenstein sized!) The part was purchased from local Land Rover dealer - about £20.70

If your wiper symptoms match those above then this is the most likely cure. I've read some horror stories about several hours work and whole dash out, not so much of an issue if your doing the job yourself but costly if your paying someone to do it for you. I don't know if having air con would effect this procedure but I'm sure someone who has done this job would be able to clarify

Again, sorry there are no pics Sad I don't post much, only when I think I've something that may help others, but I've gleaned much over the years.

To those who have read this far, sorry for the length of the post. No point in posting half a job as it would likely create more confusion than help

Hope this finds you all well.
Regards
Snorkers.
Post #662467 7th Nov 2017 7:27pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Excellent info thanks for sharing Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #662473 7th Nov 2017 7:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NormanD

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Martin, can you pin this please NormanD WE191

2015 110 XS Utility
2014 VW Caravelle 180 Executive
Post #662476 7th Nov 2017 7:54pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I did notice that there was a little prior warning when the park switch went on mine recently, I had a couple of "hesitations" when the wipers were working as if the power supply was interrupted when working. Another thing was that I have one of those "99" programmable intermitant wiper relays and it was becoming harder to set, sometimes I couldn't alter away from the default. This became apparent four or five days before it packed up, I use mine as a daily driver and I thought it was the relay starting to fail but after replacing the park switch, all is back to normal.
Post #662487 7th Nov 2017 8:57pm
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thank you

Fabio
Post #806209 14th Dec 2019 7:27pm
Steve_overland

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Chawton White
Got this job to do tomorrow, fingers crossed will go ok ! Building a 110 expedition vehicle, pictures can be found: @steve_overland on Insta.
Post #806314 15th Dec 2019 5:02pm
Fabio

Steve, let us know how it went i'm doing it next weekend.

Fabio
Post #806323 15th Dec 2019 6:02pm
hopeydaze

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Cairns Blue
Great write up because this costs £520 at a Land Rover dealer.

I know this because I had exactly this problem when I picked up my, new to me, 2010 vehicle. They fixed it for me and presented me with said £520 invoice. I politely and quietly told them what to do with it.
Post #806506 16th Dec 2019 8:45pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I posted a detailed "how to" on this very subject in 2011, in this thread:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post68216.html

(Ninth post down). Thumbs Up
Post #806537 16th Dec 2019 11:17pm
Fabio

Thank you Snorkers and Blackwolf.
I did this on Sunday and it worked a treat.
Whilst doing this the battery also failed... Rolling Eyes
Thank you Gents.

Fabio
Post #807565 25th Dec 2019 6:54pm
G4UJS

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Thanks Snorkers and Blackwolf.....job done in 45 mins (but my Step Son did help me, he works on the line at JLR, so a bit more confident then me}!!!

Happy New Year all

Rob
Post #808243 31st Dec 2019 4:14pm
Steve_overland

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Chawton White
Fabio wrote:
Steve, let us know how it went i'm doing it next weekend.

Fabio

Went super easy the second time, the first time I stupidly bought a cheap copy and it fell apart fitting it..... Building a 110 expedition vehicle, pictures can be found: @steve_overland on Insta.
Post #808295 31st Dec 2019 11:29pm
Fabio

I did mine last week and it was pretty simple, once you know what you are doing.
Mine took at least 2 hours to change but the write up is correct.

Fabio
Post #808407 1st Jan 2020 7:30pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I'm just about to do mine for the 3rd time (the new lucas switch I got, I managed to muller the plastic moulding of the switch so the C shaped spring clip wouldn't hold it in position... even with cable ties around it. So refitted the old switch.

New one (2nd) arrived yesterday so I'll get around to fitting it sometime (Td5 not puma)
Post #808416 1st Jan 2020 7:49pm
Swollock

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Word of warning, when I did mine I somehow managed to detached the metal clip removing the old switch that holds the switch to the side of the motor which then ended up inside the motor.

What I did find was I managed to remove the motor completely with the dash board only pulled forward by using a crows foot spanner that fitted on the end of a socket set extended bar to undo the drive cable. fiddly but doable.

2008 Defender 110 XS CSW
Volvo S60 T8
Triumph 1200 Rally Explorer
G0UBX
Post #808441 2nd Jan 2020 8:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>