↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Winter tyres on Eurobox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Keith5

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Winter tyres on Eurobox
I'm considering options for putting winter tyres on my other car, a Honda Civic. Not worried about snow etc just looking to ensure I've got the right tyres with the right compound on for the cold weather.

A really helpful colleague suggested getting 15" steel wheels with winter tyres and putting the current alloys aside with the normal tyres still on them until the spring. The idea of not paying to have the tyres changed and wheels rebalanced every year (with associated costs) has an appeal, as does being able to switch them myself when I want to.

My question is where do I go to start looking at what the right wheel is (offset, hole pattern colet) and the right tyre given that I need to ensure I still have the same diameter. Any hints would be gratefully recieved. Particularly if it saves the premium over buying them from kwikfit.

Thanks in advance Keith
Post #662218 6th Nov 2017 3:29pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I used to do the same with an old Mercedes E-Class estate - a set of alloys with summer tyres and a set of steels with winter tyres. Winter tyres are great for a comfy, quiet ride. Its said that running winter tyres all year round is less of a compromise than running summer tyres all year round but I don't have the stats to back this up.

Put your car details into https://www.mytyres.co.uk/Steel_wheels.html and hopefully it'll report the offset and a price for a full set with tyres. Failing that Google should be able to find the correct wheel spec from this list https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheels/honda/civic/15
Post #662222 6th Nov 2017 3:41pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
We used to have a spare set of wheels with winter tyres that we swapped over on our Passat as the clocks changed. I went to a local tyre/alloy place for advice. There are websites that advise PCD/Offsets for all models if you want to look up.

However we have just changed for a Nissan xtrail and to make it even easier and cheaper we are getting all season tyres fitted.

Goodyear Vector 4 season G2 we have ordered as they were best in autoexpress test. They are getting fitted next week so can update you after that.

Here is the test:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-t...y-category
Post #662223 6th Nov 2017 3:43pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Michelin Cross Climate a another great alternative

Remember (Some) steel wheels require shorter bolts Thumbs Up
Post #662225 6th Nov 2017 3:45pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Pcd should be pretty easy to find. Wheel width can be roughly guessed using the tyre width currently fitted. Offset is quite often stamped on the back side of the spokes.

Check that reducing wheel size doesn't interfere with brake calipers etc.

I did it for a few years before getting my defender, but could get the tyres changed very cheaply so just did that. Used nexen winguard sports and they were unstoppable! Passed several range rovers on snowy hills spinning all 4 tyres
Post #662226 6th Nov 2017 3:46pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I would suggest looking at MyTyres. I have done exactly what you want to twice with them. Bought a set of winters on alloys for a BMW and a set of winters on steels for a Merc. Your choice of tyre, on your choice of wheel with the correct PCD etc. If you want to double check, the PCD and offset will be cast or stamped into back of your current wheels. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #662268 6th Nov 2017 7:43pm
Keith5

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Thanks for all the replies, looks like mytyres is the place to start.

I'll check on the clearance for the brake calipers, it's 17" Alloys that are on it just now.

Thanks Keith
Post #662355 7th Nov 2017 10:18am
xcentric

note than in general winter tyres need temperatures below about 6 degrees C to be properly effective. This is because the rubber compounds are different to work better in the cold (as well as the snipe and tread pattern changes).

But as someone says, they are probably less of a compromise all year round than summer tyres, but you'll chew through them much faster (esp in warmer temps).

Well worth buying steelies and separate tyres - less potential for damage when changing them, cheaper to buy smaller tyres, and damaging your steel rims if you slide into the gutter/get lots of salt on them is much less of an issue.
Post #662365 7th Nov 2017 11:49am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Just dug some pics out of my XC70

With Winter Wheels & Tyres (Volvo XC90 “Antaeus” rims):

And with it's summer wheels/tyres (Sargas originals):

The investment has been well worth it - I bought mine in 2009, and only paid around £600 all in for the wheels and tyres - the wheels off ebay, and the tyres (Vredestein WINTRAC) from Ostles Tyres in Galashiels.

With a trolley jack I can swap them in under 30 mins (including tyre pressures, and cleaning the wheels for storage). Also I rotate the tyres front to back every time I change them over...

They've proved their worth a few times on the A9 in snow.

My G3 XC70 has 63.4mm hub centres, and 55mm offset. My standard rims were 17 x 7.5”

The XC90 wheel (winter wheels) has 67.1mm hub centres and 49mm offset. The wheels I purchased were Volvo XC90 “Antaeus” rims, which are 17 x 7” (i.e. half-an-inch narrower).

You can easily buy 67.1 / 63.4mm "spigot rings" to amend the hub diameter (only £5 on ebay). I replaced the plastic ones with metal as they break after a few on/off jobs. Photo:

By sticking with Volvo wheels (stamped "XC") I'm hoping I don't need to advise the insurance company of modification...Always lots of loose wheels on ebay...

Also on my car, if I used smaller diameter Alloys, they probably would not fit over the (huge) front brake caliper...Maybe you need to check this...

The winter tyres (I'm on my 2nd set Vredestein WINTRAC) seem ok in summer. When my 1st set were down to ~4mm, I ran them thru summer to get my money's worth, then put new ones (i.e. deep tread) on for winter coming...

Suggest having alook at the Bay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-Honda-Civic...SwzilZ2ND0

I'm actually swapping mine tomorrow, from summer to winter Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #662394 7th Nov 2017 1:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1