↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Another new Land Rover?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Another new Land Rover?
I was driving in Perthshire, not far from the LR Experience. Spotted something that looked like a Disco Sport/Evoque/any other recent LR vehicle decked out in the at black and white camouflage paintwork that they use when disguising a new vehicle. It was towing a small trailer, presumably the test kit.

Sadly, it was through woodland with low sun, so the dashcam hasn't picked up much. On holiday at the moment, with limited software, will try and improve video on return.

Any thoughts? Surely not another new model? Are any due a facelift? Would they bother with the camouflage if it was just an electric variant of an existing model?
Post #660611 30th Oct 2017 5:34pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Maybe you have seen the holly grail....the new defender Shocked
Post #660623 30th Oct 2017 6:17pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I hope not - looked like all the other current Land Rovers.
Post #660626 30th Oct 2017 6:22pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I see them at work all the time, along with Fords, Toyotas, Nissans etc.. Sometimes they're just doing something mundane like engine calibrations or maybe in this case something do with with trailer stability. Just because it's camouflaged doesn't mean it's a new vehicle, it might just be an existing one which they're making a change to.

I've seen cars with just the bumpers camouflaged, where they're testing out a new body kit or facelift. When the XF estate was being developed we kept seeing XF's with just the back half in camouflage. I've seen Fiesta's with ugly plastic bumper covers where they're driving a car which has new prototype bumpers, they might just be driving it to a supplier for them to test for example new headlamps. I remember a Mondeo, which was LHD and all badged up as a Fusion with i think US plates and all sorts of other mismatched bits of trim, if i recall correctly the driver said he was just doing engine calibrations, they drive them in various bits of Europe in different climates to give them real world data to allow them to get the map right. The same applies to gearboxes, traction control, active suspension etc. Ford still have a big development site in Essex, Nissan and Toyota both develop vehicles in the UK too.

Sometimes i think they leave them camouflaged just to attract attention, i mean it obviously worked in this case. Wink Or it's just a late production ready development mule and they can't be bothered to strip the camouflage off but they're still using it for testing other things. Lets say for example they've had lots of complaints about the Disco's traction control when towing on slippery surfaces. (just a random example i've made up), they might then take a test mule out on some slippery surfaces to see if they can see what the problem is and issue a software update for it.

It might well be the new Defender, with a Disco body on it. Sometimes they'll test a chassis and running gear but dump another body on top to hide what it is. The first BMW mini's used at the first design preview were actually Fiat Punto's underneath, because they had the same wheel base and track, so they could graft a body shell on to the floorpan.
Post #660633 30th Oct 2017 6:47pm
LiftedDisco

Did you happen to see if it had any warning symbols around it showing 'electric' zig-zag flashes?

The Range Rover Sport is due for a facelift with the new model coming out in Jan and the plug-in Hybrid should be out for March or so - they are currently running this around our area in camo and they have to clearly identify the hybrid element for members of the testing teams, hence the stickers.

The trailer could be a battery life extender...

Rolling with laughter
Post #661002 31st Oct 2017 9:22pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
zsd-puma wrote:
I see them at work all the time, along with Fords, Toyotas, Nissans etc.. Sometimes they're just doing something mundane like engine calibrations or maybe in this case something do with with trailer stability. Just because it's camouflaged doesn't mean it's a new vehicle, it might just be an existing one which they're making a change to.

I've seen cars with just the bumpers camouflaged, where they're testing out a new body kit or facelift. When the XF estate was being developed we kept seeing XF's with just the back half in camouflage. I've seen Fiesta's with ugly plastic bumper covers where they're driving a car which has new prototype bumpers, they might just be driving it to a supplier for them to test for example new headlamps. I remember a Mondeo, which was LHD and all badged up as a Fusion with i think US plates and all sorts of other mismatched bits of trim, if i recall correctly the driver said he was just doing engine calibrations, they drive them in various bits of Europe in different climates to give them real world data to allow them to get the map right. The same applies to gearboxes, traction control, active suspension etc. Ford still have a big development site in Essex, Nissan and Toyota both develop vehicles in the UK too.

Sometimes i think they leave them camouflaged just to attract attention, i mean it obviously worked in this case. Wink Or it's just a late production ready development mule and they can't be bothered to strip the camouflage off but they're still using it for testing other things. Lets say for example they've had lots of complaints about the Disco's traction control when towing on slippery surfaces. (just a random example i've made up), they might then take a test mule out on some slippery surfaces to see if they can see what the problem is and issue a software update for it.

It might well be the new Defender, with a Disco body on it. Sometimes they'll test a chassis and running gear but dump another body on top to hide what it is. The first BMW mini's used at the first design preview were actually Fiat Punto's underneath, because they had the same wheel base and track, so they could graft a body shell on to the floorpan.

The MGF prototype was a metro van with the engine in the back with a odd looking body kit.
I did start me lessons in the Nissan almera prototype new car, it was registered on an X plate, It had electrodes instead of spark plugs and a few features that were doubled up. Ie the car could be locked from the inside by a button in the centre console. Not sure what model that feature ended up on if it ever did. Also the engine management was a blue print unit too. The body lines were a little different to the production model for some reason too. What my driving instructor told me, was that Nissan said do not tell anyone etc about the car etc. The car was de badged too and it was a plain white colour. He had the car from 0 miles right up to about 170k the engine was still pulling strong but the rest of it was getting tired sadly. It was a good car mind and I did think about buying a almera before going Peugeot 306. Mind I have to say this, the prototype car was better built than the production models, I don't think the electrode system ever made it to production at all, unless it went on something else further down the time line. Only two prototypes were made and were owned by two driving instructors. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #661013 31st Oct 2017 9:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1