↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Rear step install cross member holes issue ( FIXED)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Djcla

United Kingdom 
Rear step install cross member holes issue ( FIXED)
Hi , after removing the rusty rear step on my Defender and my new rivnuts arriving it's now clear the holes are not m8 rivnut sized, an M10 rivnut may just work but I don't have the tool for that size. I'm thinking a nut and bolt maybe a better solution and that was how it was before. However I've no idea how I'd access the nut with a socket/spanner on the right side as there is only a tiny access hole, any ideas? The left one maybe doable from behind.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Djcla on 10th Nov 2017 11:20am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #660553 30th Oct 2017 12:48pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You can't, which is of course why threaded inserts were used n the first place.

You have limited choices really:

1. Cut an access hole in the crossmember to allow spanner access (highly un-recommended!).

2. Find some sort of captive nut plate you can get in the crossmember (difficult but not impossible, but probably involves cutting an access hole so also highly un-recommended).

3. Install larger threaded inserts, if necessary using larger machine screws for the towing attachment afterwards (easy, quick, and low risk).

I know which I would do.

Remember that you don't actually need a tool for setting threaded inserts, just a suitable long-ish machine screw, a nut, some washers, and three hands.
Post #660565 30th Oct 2017 1:20pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
so Option 3 , you mean just move up to M10 size rivnut if its a good fit and say and use an M10 bolt instead assuming it not to big for the step holes?
Post #660572 30th Oct 2017 1:44pm
blackwolf

Yes. If need be you can enlarge the hole to take the larger size M10 rivet nut, and set the insert with the bolt and nut technique. You may have to enlarge the hole in the step to take the M10 screw.

If there is some unexpected reason why you really cannot use a larger thread-size rivet nut, then you may be able to find an M8 rivet nut with a larger outside diameter, a larger head, or even a hex body which, with careful filing of the hole, you may be able to use.

If you have a look here you will get some idea of the wide choice available. You may want to look at the "swaging inserts" page as well, since the crossmember may well be thick enough to use one of these.
Post #660576 30th Oct 2017 2:05pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
thanks the M10 rivnuts i have are still a little too small for the hole by a 1/2mm and i dont think the flange will grip enough. so perhaps i need to find some with a bigger flange.
Post #660582 30th Oct 2017 2:32pm
blackwolf

Could you move the step an inch or so to the nearside and drill two new holes?

Could you attach the step to a plate, and attach the plate to the crossmember using fixings in a slightly difference location?

Isn't it curious how sometimes the jobs that seem as though they should be the simplest on a Defender end up being the most hassle!
Post #660588 30th Oct 2017 3:18pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
i did consider moving the holes left a littke but it will be pretty close to the high lift jacking point / hole , ill have another look and take a pic, but this is from the gallery and shows the distance

https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...member.JPG
Post #660589 30th Oct 2017 3:22pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
right ive order some m12 rivnuts as i think that they will be nice and snug in the holes , just need to now learn how you install them without a special tool
Post #660614 30th Oct 2017 4:43pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Before making an irreversible action I would suggest you carefully drill out the existing rivnut without enlarging the hole.

A m10 rivnut needs a hole size ranging from 12.7 mm up to 13.5mm dependent if rivnut is ali, steel, ribbed, round body, thin sheet etc.

So it might be possible by selection of appropriate rivnut you might not have to go non standard size. Have a look at http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/Vprod1.asp?cat=3882001938 for sizes.

Brendan
Post #660653 30th Oct 2017 6:39pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
@leeds Thank you for the tips , there was no rivnuts in the holes just bolt and a nut the other side , i think in past life someone has bodged the holes as they are way to big now for an M8 and an M10 is quite loose as well , ill try and work if my rivnuts are 13.5mm hole size but i have a feeling an m12 might just go in the hole with no drilling.
Post #660674 30th Oct 2017 7:31pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
The M12 rivnuts fit the hole a lot better. Fitting them is a little challenging trying to do it without the proper tool upside down and keeping the rivnut in place. Might find a local garage and see if the have the right rivnut tool for the job.
Post #661782 4th Nov 2017 8:30am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Not easy unless you have three hands!
Not having the proper tool, I practised on a spare bit of metal to get a feel for how the rivnut grabbed the metal before doing it on the crossmember.
Have you someone who could help and hold things in place, before resorting to the garage.
Post #661796 4th Nov 2017 9:48am
Djcla

United Kingdom 
I did yesterday but still pretty hard to do and keep everything in place, thinking of glueing rivnut in place first to stop it moving about might help.
Post #661798 4th Nov 2017 9:58am
Djcla

United Kingdom 
well in the end i just bought the long arm version of the sealey riv nut tool for £63 to add to the short arm version i bought recently lol Sad I've managed to get the riv nuts in place although the left hand one is not flush or in as id like Sad and spinning slightly. However its holding and the step is back on the vehicle. I don't fancy trying to remove it and will see how it goes, should it pull through the cross member i may look at putting a piece of metal support inside and holding a nut on the end of a bolt as you can just about access the left hand one from behind.
Post #663066 10th Nov 2017 11:19am
nitram17

rivnut tool
The memfest tool is the best on the market (£100 Big Cry Big Cry )and you dont need a run up or arms like popeye!The quality of the chroming is a work in progress though!You could have tried the rubber rivnuts ..you dont need special tool and they may have held and you can reuse them if it didnt work....hope your fix lasts Thumbs Up
Post #663072 10th Nov 2017 11:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>