↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Rear step install cross member holes issue ( FIXED)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Djcla

United Kingdom 
it's done now and lets see how it goes.. I did not see rub nuts before how do they work differently ? The memfast tool didnt go up to M12 . The seleay certainly wasn't easy to pull the handles together which is why i dont think i put one in very well.
Post #663097 10th Nov 2017 1:51pm
nitram17

Hi look at the memfast site they work a bit like a rivnut except you just have to drill a hole then place the rivnut in the hole the act of tightening up the bolt squashes the rubber nut....they have there uses and it may have solved your problem!

http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/Vprod4.asp?cat=2250003503

I didnt realise you needed a m12..you must have large biceps ...the rubber m10 may have fit as they need a bigger hole than the metal ones!
Post #663104 10th Nov 2017 2:25pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Although the Memfast tools are superbly made, I actually don't like them, or indeed any setting tool which requires the thread upon which the rinvut is located to turn in the rivnut as the nut is set. The safest and strongest way to set a rivnut is a stright pull on the insert with no rotation, as this is much less likely to damage the rivnut's thread (especially if you are using alloy rivnuts which are easy to damage).

If you set them with a setscrew, nut, and spacer (the traditional "tool-less" way) you are not turning the thread in the nut whilst setting the insert.
Post #663110 10th Nov 2017 2:39pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
nitram17 wrote:
Hi look at the memfast site they work a bit like a rivnut except you just have to drill a hole then place the rivnut in the hole the act of tightening up the bolt squashes the rubber nut....they have there uses and it may have solved your problem!

http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/Vprod4.asp?cat=2250003503

I didnt realise you needed a m12..you must have large biceps ...the rubber m10 may have fit as they need a bigger hole than the metal ones!

haha not really too strong they were tough but not impossible with the sealey tool , it was the lack of space that made it difficult to push the handles together tbh.

The rubber M10 ones would have required a slightly bigger hole than the 16mm i had so actually quite pleased with the route i took because going bigger would have been a gamble if the rub nut didn't work .
Post #663115 10th Nov 2017 2:57pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:

If you set them with a setscrew, nut, and spacer (the traditional "tool-less" way) you are not turning the thread in the nut whilst setting the insert.

That seemed impossible with the m12 steel rivnuts with standard length spanners which is why i gave up and bought the tool.

For some reason none of the local garages i rang had the tool some didnt even know what it was lol, perhaps i should rent it out.
Post #663116 10th Nov 2017 2:59pm
blackwolf

A hollow hydraulic cylinder works well for largr sizes. Some time ago I had to set a number of M24 inserts, they would have been very difficult without hydraulics. M12 should be ok with long spanners though.
Post #663204 10th Nov 2017 7:47pm
Djcla

United Kingdom 
Haha I'm pretty new to all this mechanic stuff never done anything until I bought my Defender. So buying the tool was and seemed the simplest solution in the end . I figure I'll just sell it again when I'm done with it.
Post #663220 10th Nov 2017 8:26pm
blackwolf

I wouldn't sell it, because you'll find you need it again the day afterwards!
Post #663229 10th Nov 2017 8:45pm
nitram17

blackwolf wrote:
Although the Memfast tools are superbly made, I actually don't like them, or indeed any setting tool which requires the thread upon which the rinvut is located to turn in the rivnut as the nut is set. The safest and strongest way to set a rivnut is a stright pull on the insert with no rotation, as this is much less likely to damage the rivnut's thread (especially if you are using alloy rivnuts which are easy to damage).

I will bow to your superior knowledge blackwolf as i have only set about 20 rivnuts with the memfast tool!if the rivnut is not twisted and the the thead is all the way through the rivnut does that not spread the load across the threads when compressing the rivnut ?The chroming on the memfest tool i was sent was hopeless so i sent it back ....they sent a worse one back ..it was just cosmetic but if i hadnt needed the tool urgently i would have returned it again dam my OCD. Embarassed
Post #663244 10th Nov 2017 9:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12