↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Front radius arms bushes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pannawonica

Australia 
Front radius arms bushes
Whilst my 110 puma steers well it now has got a little harsher feed back through the steering wheel. So with new shocks and after checking wheel bearing and king pins, l had a bo-peep at the hockey sticks. Not really knowing the best way too test or check l used a lever between the axle and inner arm between the two bushes. Movement was easily induced meaning I have about 3mm slack. Is this the best definitive test, or is there a better way? Would Sykes Pickavant 18775500 kit be able to remove replace these large bushes ? All other bushes seemed good, however testing method advice woul be much welcomed! My puma has 95K Kms after 7 years so maybe some wear would be expected! Thumbs Up Very Happy
Post #660196 29th Oct 2017 5:49am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Morning pannawonica. Your testing method is precisely what I have seen other garage mechanics doing to test for play in those bushes. 👍

Replacing them is pretty easy if a little time consuming. I presume you have the original metalastic sleeve-rubber-sleeve bushes. If you intend to replace these yourself there area many how to threads on the web to help you. The easiest by far is to get the radius arms off and to a friendly someone with a hydraulic press. The alternative and what I have always done is to drill out the rubber then using a hack saw remove the out metal sleeve. I never burn the rubber out.

As for replacements. OEM Vs poly bushes... your choice. For me the latter are much easier to install for a DIYer and equally easy to replace down the line too. I have used six or seven brands over the years and have found Super Pro bushes to be the best by a country mile both in manufacture and longevity.

Whilst you are thinking about replacing those bushes I would also do the pan hard rod chassis to axle as this also can produce some interesting steering issues.

Good luck
Post #660211 29th Oct 2017 7:52am
pannawonica

Australia 
No longer morning Very Happy Thumbs Up however it’s beer o’clock, anyhow thanks for the heads up. I want to go OEM because I like the ride of the original and just short of 100K is a fair go for me. Thumbs Up not wanting too open that can of worms. Very Happy l would buy a shop press but her indoors wants too move to FNQ, burger I have just built the shed and put the hoist in. Big Cry That’s why I’m interested in the Sykes and now have funds set aside, easy to pack up and shift! Thumbs Up
Post #660219 29th Oct 2017 8:45am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
If you want decent rubber bushes then avoid OEM buy genuine only, I've not yet seen an OEM bush with Metalastic cast into the rubber. If it doesn't say Metalastic on the side it's not OEM.
HTH
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #660264 29th Oct 2017 1:10pm
pannawonica

Australia 
Thanks Thumbs Up genuine it will be! Very Happy
Post #660428 29th Oct 2017 10:57pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I haven't tried it yet but SP say that that tool will fit those bushes.
Post #660555 30th Oct 2017 12:50pm
pannawonica

Australia 
I will check out SP website again, have been looking at UK vendors all around 380GBP plus postage. The ram I believe can be used for other applications! Thumbs Up
Post #660564 30th Oct 2017 1:19pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yesm it is the standard 12 ton ram, which fits things like the large ball-joint splitter, various pullers, and so on. It may also fit the Defender/Disco/Transit steering box drop-arm puller as an alternative to the supplied force screw (but I can't remember for certain if this takes the 12 or 15 ton ram - I will check tonght to see if it fits if I get time).

SP tools are never a bad investment due largely to their quality and modularity, although they can lead to domestic trouble. I tend to use the same approach as the fairer sex does with clothes, namely if you collect enough and they all look similar to the untutored eye you can use the "I've actually had this for ages, but you may not have seen this before" ploy! Provided that you have enough tools you stand a good chance of getting away with it.
Post #660570 30th Oct 2017 1:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1