↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Running in 2.4 tdci
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Running in 2.4 tdci
Firstly I'm not in the first flush of youth so every engine I've rebuilt (they were mostly carburetor fed petrols) and every new company Cortina or Sierra has been carefully run in over at least 5k miles.
Now I've had a new engine fitted to the Defender I'm assured that I can put the BAS tune back on and drive as usual!
Bit alien to me - comments - experiences?
Post #687568 19th Feb 2018 3:04pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I am like you - don't like this advice to just drive normally. I always run in a new car/engine carefully for the first 1000 miles.
However with modern oils, I have reluctantly accepted that there is no need to change the oil/filters at this mileage, although I am certain many still do.
Proper running in will do no harm.
Post #687577 19th Feb 2018 3:30pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Yes ... took it easy for the first 1000 miles, then did a full oil change... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #687582 19th Feb 2018 3:42pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
General advice I remember from the handbook when we had new transits and sprinters was to drive them gently for the first 1000 miles, don't over rev them and don't labour them then gradually build up how hard you drove them over the following 1000 miles.

Of course most just got thrashed and laboured from day one the same as 90% of transits in fleet use. We used to get rid of them at around 200'000 miles, and we still see them running around with their new owners now. so I'm not sure how much of a difference running them in actually makes.
Post #687636 19th Feb 2018 6:55pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I just warm up the engine oil and after that I cruise and if needed I give it the beans.
Concerning the Defender... Mine got full throttle for about 10 seconds within 3 miles from home from new. Just to keep me and my family for being killed by a truck when I need to get on the highway. Laughing
Both of my Defenders never had engine problems or used a drop of oil between the service intervals.
Post #687653 19th Feb 2018 7:41pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
the manual says:

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up

Interesting, in 6th gear at 50 uphill, I usually think the engine is laboring, so I often change to 5th to keep the revs around 1800-2000, so the motor is spinning rather than laboring...

The item above seems more suited to td5... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #687665 19th Feb 2018 8:21pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Many years ago the advice with a rebuilt diesel was not to allow the engine to idle for any length of time after initial start up . And not to run with very low load. The reason being that this can cause the cylinder bores to glaze up with combustion residues, leaving a very smooth surface which then makes it difficult for the piston rings to bed in and work properly. Perhaps it's less relevant with modern oils as used in the Defender engines.

There's a description here, relating to marine engines, but I guess the principles are similar.

https://coxengineering.sharepoint.com/Pages/Boreglazing.aspx

If it were my new engine, I certainly wouldn't be thrashing it at high revs for the first 500 or so miles, but nor would I allow it to idle for long periods from a cold start or be too light footed on the throttle. As zsd-puma said, there are many, many Transits out there that will have been hammered from day one with no respect for running in and most are still going strong.
Post #687676 19th Feb 2018 8:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1