↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Increase the height of my concrete garage?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Increase the height of my concrete garage?
Hello

So I have spent ages sorting this garage and getting it ready for my car once finally back...

However I may have a slight technical in that I need more height...

Its a prefab concrete garage at the back of house, the Gap from floor to roof is 200 cm

My car on the std wheels is 194.5cm tall Leaving 5.5cm (there is also a slight ramp up)

Click image to enlarge

However I plan on putting 7.50 wheels I have done up..

Click image to enlarge

This could take it over the 200cm I have...

My question, can I grind off this metal part on the lower bit of this picture to give me 204cm

Click image to enlarge

My first though would be to take the front bit off completely at the top but I'm guessing its structural? The concrete floor is so hard I don't fancy drilling down to get more height and then if I need to take the garage apart to build again on a higher base I might as well build a nice new wooden garage....

I am hoping I can modify this top part,

This is the garage from out side and in.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

What do people think?
Post #659300 24th Oct 2017 8:30am
xcentric

can you lift the roof of the garage in it's entirety?
Post #659304 24th Oct 2017 8:46am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
OK, I'm no structural engineer but... That steel angle is structural and will not only be holding up the roof but also tying together the top of the wall to stop it splaying out and supporting the front cladding. I would, therefore, be very reluctant to cut it, without some additional replacement bracing. Presumably, the garage has a similar truss or two along the length of the garage which will be at the same height so would need to cut them all, risky!

As suggested above can you lift the whole roof by inserting either brick or 6x3" timber rail? But again make sure you brace this well back to the wall below.

You could cut the brace if you welded in an additional RSA a little higher and brace back to all the other trusses. Not a big job if you know someone handy with a welder. But I suspect just raising the whole roof might be easier??

I'd guess digging up the floor and lowering would be cost prohibitive and potentially cause drainage issues.

What about air suspension and self-inflating tyres to lower in and out Rolling with laughter James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #659309 24th Oct 2017 9:05am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I wouldn't be grinding off anything of the part you've shown. The vertical bit of the angle is what gives it its' strength.

To be honest, I'd fit the new tyres and measure the actual height before doing anything. On paper, they should add about 40mm to the overall height but the real world often doesn't work quite like that.

If it is too tall then, as xcentric suggests, look at raising the roof structure and adding in a timber plate on top of the concrete walls. With a bit of ingenuity, raising the roof could be done without dismantling it. Beware the roof sheets though as they look very much like asbestos cement which needs special precautions if you're going to disturb it.

It really depends on how much money you want to throw at it but a better overall solution would be to remove and dispose of the existing sheeting, lift up the structure and then reclad with something modern. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #659310 24th Oct 2017 9:05am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Take off the safari roof
Post #659314 24th Oct 2017 9:30am
LandRoverAnorak

Heathen Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #659316 24th Oct 2017 9:39am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Don’t you mean sacrilege Rolling with laughter
Post #659320 24th Oct 2017 9:59am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Obviously first plan is fit wheels see if actually fits... if not then scratch head... Smile

Good suggestion about raising the roof on wooden blocks..

I'm not planning on spending much at all on this garage as if I am to spend it will be on a wider / higher wooden new one... But I didn't want to have to do that just yet.

The bit in my picture I was going to grind is hard to show it does not look like that parts itself is part of the bracing? the bit between 200cm and 204cm. Also I could leave at least a foot each side before I ct a piece out...

Think I will ask me dad he's always good at these types of things Smile Thumbs Up

I could of course keep the small wheels on... but I don't want to Smile
Post #659322 24th Oct 2017 10:05am
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, that too Laughing Darren

Post #659323 24th Oct 2017 10:05am
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
I've got a similar problem to you - my Ninety just about fitted fine on 600's, but the want for 750's was too strong to resist Rolling Eyes
My garage is an internal house one so my solution is to replace the up & over door with a side opener or roller, neither of which helps you, but I discovered two things during my very careful measuring sessions:

1) My real height increase when fitting the 750's was bang on 50mm.
2) If the drive is lower than the garage floor, the highest point on the car will temporarily be even taller as it drive in or out - I did a CAD model and it was about 8mm which made a difference believe it or not!
Good luck. Instagram: l90andy

2006 Land Rover 90 TD5 CSW Silver Edition

My 1984 Ninety: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56071.html - SOLD!
My 2015 Defender: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39625.html - SOLD!
Post #659335 24th Oct 2017 10:54am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^

5cm increase will be very tight...... Smile I can live with tight as long as it goes in.

However like you there is a small ramp into the garage...
Post #659337 24th Oct 2017 11:03am
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
First job would be to get it on the 750's and measure it, but for exacting purposes you need to factor in the weight of the driver as it makes a difference. As does whether the fuel tank is full or not...
I measured with a near empty tank as don't want to store excessive flammable fluid in the house.
Perhaps you could be disciplined enough to brim the tank every time you park it up?
Every little helps Thumbs Up Instagram: l90andy

2006 Land Rover 90 TD5 CSW Silver Edition

My 1984 Ninety: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56071.html - SOLD!
My 2015 Defender: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39625.html - SOLD!
Post #659340 24th Oct 2017 11:13am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Reduce your tyre pressure?

I had a friend who when he retired, did a little maintenance on cars as a side line to help bolster his pension. He got the job to rebuild an engine in a Renault Master. His garage door was just too low to get the van in so he reduced the tyre pressures and he just about squeezed the van in.

He was an 'old school' engineer. I'm not sure if this would help you as I presume you are looking for a permanent fix?

One thing to watch if you are playing around with your roof. That looks like concrete asbestos and although it is pretty stable, you wouldn't want to go breaking any of the sheets.
Post #659351 24th Oct 2017 12:01pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Or just let your rear tyres down to get it in and out Thumbs Up not ideal but would work in the short term
Post #659353 24th Oct 2017 12:02pm
LandRoverAnorak

Stacey007 wrote:
The bit in my picture I was going to grind is hard to show it does not look like that parts itself is part of the bracing? the bit between 200cm and 204cm. Also I could leave at least a foot each side before I ct a piece out...

What you've got to remember is that structures like this were built to be as cheap as possible and so there is very little 'extra' material. Hack them about at your peril. Darren

Post #659357 24th Oct 2017 12:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>