↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Tablet advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Interesting info, will give it a try. Thumbs Up

The OS maps I use are £13.99 for the whole South West for Land a Ranger map and the same for other parts of the UK.

I thought that was pretty good.
You can plan trails etc and record routes with other info etc, I'd imagine other Apps and software do the same too but I've not used them. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #659421 24th Oct 2017 4:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The Garmin Glo looks good:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/109827 Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #659426 24th Oct 2017 4:44pm
v8bobber

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
I decided to go with the Asus Zenbook in the end as for 130quid I didn't think I could really go wrong seeing as I wasn't really sure how much I will be using it.

I still haven't got to the bottom of the whole GPS thing and I think the way forward will be just to take it out and about and try it.

I have downloaded iPlayer and Netflix etc and that all works a treat so it is just the mapping to sort. Another advantage of the Asus I have discovered is that it has a mini USB port so can attach a GPS antennal if needs be

More research is needed I think

Dave

P.s. I am writing this now on the tablet and its not even too bad with my fat fingers!!
Post #659509 24th Oct 2017 11:20pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
You can always use this and then just use Google Maps app which recently I have found to be very good.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/109827

Edit. iPad wasn’t updated, so didn’t notice Custom 90 got there first!! Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #659530 25th Oct 2017 8:03am
v8bobber

Thanks Grenadier,

My plan this evening was to research gps antenna, I’ve used Garmin products a fair bit in the past so will certainly look into that one.

I thought google maps was web based though, can you download it to the tablets memory?
Post #659557 25th Oct 2017 11:48am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Does the google maps give you visual and audio guidance though? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #659568 25th Oct 2017 1:21pm
v8bobber

I would have thought that once you had something that gave you your position any after market app would give you guidance.

I’ve got Navmii on my iPhone and that works a treat whether you have signal or not - the map data is stored on the phone

Perhaps Grenadier would be able to enlighten us
Post #659583 25th Oct 2017 2:52pm
Grenadier

custom90steve wrote:
Does the google maps give you visual and audio guidance though?

I've found it to be really good, really reliable and with very clear descriptions. Just from a phone for now, but does the job.

Click image to enlarge

V8 Bobber - As far as how it works, for now I just been using the iPhone App, but hope to use my standard iPad as my spotify interface and SatNav once I have completed the internal mods. Likely on an arm. I presume (presumption being the mother of all...) that once you have linked the tablet to the garmin, the Google maps app would use the GPS signal in much the same way as it would when supplied by the service provider on your phone? Please know that I am a complete tech muppet, (am I allowed to say that, or is it Muppet-ist in our modern snowflake world?), and tend to cuff it. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #659585 25th Oct 2017 3:25pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Very interesting.
And quite future proof too!
Sat Navs then selves are quite expensive and models go out of date quite quickly, it's hard enough keeping up with Apple much less multiple devices.
An iPhone, sat NA and iPad in themselves are getting on for a good £1500. Shocked

Brendan sells good Ram mounts with a claim,p you can use on the passenger grab handle.
No bolts, bo damage nothing.

They are quite expensive though but you get what you pay for, the cradles themselves are quite cheap if you need different ones as models change etc. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #659603 25th Oct 2017 4:52pm
orkneydave

United Kingdom 
Grenadier wrote:
I presume (presumption being the mother of all...) that once you have linked the tablet to the garmin, the Google maps app would use the GPS signal in much the same way as it would when supplied by the service provider on your phone? Please know that I am a complete tech muppet, (am I allowed to say that, or is it Muppet-ist in our modern snowflake world?), and tend to cuff it.

Unfortunatly, that's not how it works. The GPS signal is purely for positioning (lat and long) and does not provide any mapping data. It is not provided by your service provider. For Google maps to work, you need to have a data connection too either via wifi or mobile network. You can dounload map data on google maps but this is usually for a route only soyou would need a data connection every time you planned a new route. Other navigation apps do allow downloading of map data so that is a possibility.
Post #659608 25th Oct 2017 5:03pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Sounds correct to me.
It'd be incredibly useful to me to use for OS mapping, in fact if you have a stand alone sat nav you could use both. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #659610 25th Oct 2017 5:10pm
orkneydave

United Kingdom 
For OS mapping I use Viewranger. I have it installed on my phone, an old Blackberry Playbook and on the Parrot Tablet in my D3. You can purchase OS map tiles for whatever area you need (I think you can use various free maps too). Works really well and can record your track.
Post #659612 25th Oct 2017 5:12pm
Grenadier

orkneydave wrote:
Grenadier wrote:
I presume (presumption being the mother of all...) that once you have linked the tablet to the garmin, the Google maps app would use the GPS signal in much the same way as it would when supplied by the service provider on your phone? Please know that I am a complete tech muppet, (am I allowed to say that, or is it Muppet-ist in our modern snowflake world?), and tend to cuff it.

Unfortunatly, that's not how it works. The GPS signal is purely for positioning (lat and long) and does not provide any mapping data. It is not provided by your service provider. For Google maps to work, you need to have a data connection too either via wifi or mobile network. You can dounload map data on google maps but this is usually for a route only soyou would need a data connection every time you planned a new route. Other navigation apps do allow downloading of map data so that is a possibility.

Told you I was a muppet.

Bu*ger Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #659620 25th Oct 2017 5:49pm
v8bobber

Just got back from a short trip and the the tablet worked perfectly. Despite what ive been told there is obviously some kind of gps already build in as the Asus has no cellular capability and it was not connected to the internet.

I downloaded maps.me before I went (map data stored in the tablets memory) and navigated me home perfectly.

Unless I’m missing something obvious I don’t need an external gps aerial.

I might have to download a separate app mind as the guidance woman’s voice on it is awful
Post #659626 25th Oct 2017 6:36pm
Bobtailkev

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
What would people recommend as the best app for an iPad to show me where green lanes are, whilst I'm driving about? I've researched a few of them, but can't seem to find one for geeen lanes. They only give the options of walking, running or cycling.
Post #663530 11th Nov 2017 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>