↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Belch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Belch
My 300tdi has done 178k. When under load e.g going up a steep hill from a slow start she has started to belch black smoke.... Mrs H is now refusing to drive her. Any suggestions re likely cause?

Thanks

Paul
Post #656050 9th Oct 2017 12:45pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Have you checked the intercooler pipes, they regularly split leading to clouds of black smoke.
also check your air filter isn't clogged up. 
Post #656054 9th Oct 2017 12:59pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
And the intercooler itself for splits. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #656102 9th Oct 2017 4:56pm
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
What about Injectors? Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #656128 9th Oct 2017 6:30pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
All of the above are great suggestions. Just checking you have not recently tweaked the fuel pump?

It is also worth checking your turbo waste gate is operating effectively as being slightly open can cause low down black smoke.

Whilst there check the turbo for any significant wear in the vanes or excess lateral movement in the bearings.

How big a black cloud? small puff or plumes...?
Post #656137 9th Oct 2017 7:03pm
DieselBeast

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Java Black
Black smoke under load is where your air to fuel ratio isn't at the right balance.

This could be a variety of reasons.
Clogged air filter.
Oil in the inlet manifold and inter-cooler (Oil from the cyclonic breather)
Blocked or coked up injectors (Not atomising fuel effectively)
Leak or split in turbo boost pipes

I'm sure there is a flow diagram somewhere for this which should sort you out.
Post #656185 9th Oct 2017 9:23pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Gents, as ever many thanks for your input. The black smoke is pretty thick but as soon as the engine is no longer under heavy load she doesn't smoke. It is bad if I don't rev the engine much and try to pull off uphill, like she is getting bogged down and needs to clear her throat so to speak. I can get her to belch black smoke if I accelerate hard too, not a common occurrence. I've not tweaked anything, certainly not the boost pin. Filter is a K&N, which I will replace with a standard unit.
Post #656222 9th Oct 2017 10:31pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ok. No tweaks.

Out of interest is your 300 a late model with an EGR setup? The reason I ask is that my old 300 (in a disco) came to me with its EGR system intact. When I serviced it for the first time the aperture of the intake manifold (usually about 2" in diameter) was so caked in oil that there was barely enough room to get my little finger in to it. Think i have a photo somewhere. And all because of the exhaust gas recirculation system pumping dirty air in to the clean air intake... Thumbs Up

So as above;

Step 1: The checks. Check your hoses, turbo, waste gate actuator, and boost pressure. Do you have a boost gauge fitted or to hand? The standard max boost pressure for a 300tdi is 1 bar. This will be a good indicator of whether there are any leaks in your intake system, hoses, split intercooler or alike. If there are then you will either not get to boost or it will be sluggish initially then suddenly boost. If this is the case there may also be an audible whistle as air escapes. When you boot it up a hill you should easily reach max boost.

Step 2: Run some injector cleaner through your fuel system. Something decent like Forte. Read the instructions carefully, some want a full tank, some want a virtually empty tank. This should clean your nozzles of any carbon built up whilst this over fuelling issue has been going on. Depending on the product you use it may even clean/lubricate your injector pump as well. I am sure others will have recommendation on products here. If there is no effect at this stage it might suggest that at 178k miles your injectors are getting a little tired and at lower RPMs are not spraying diesel properly, more like dribbling out causing the incomplete combustion of the fuel which then gets dumped out in to the exhaust as black smoke. Incidentally and i am not suggesting you fork out for a new set of injectors today, but when I replaced my 200tdi injectors at 150k miles it was like driving a new car.

This is where I would start.
Post #656278 10th Oct 2017 10:25am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Thanks chaps, I will have a look at the weekend in the 3 minutes between kids hockey / rugby / hockey / father in law's 70th.... Big Cry

I did in fact dump a whole bottle of injector cleaner (can't remember the brand but it was one bottle to 50ltrs) before filling up last time out. I'll do the checks first and see what is what.

Cheers,

Paul
Post #656524 11th Oct 2017 11:36am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
She is off to the man who can tomorrow- he had a look last week and noticed she was heavy breathing at tick over. The suspicion is the head gasket but in any event it needs further investigation. Only done 180k so due some tlc I guess. After the shooting season it will a petrol based heart transplant 👩‍⚕️
Post #661230 1st Nov 2017 8:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1