Home > Puma (Tdci) > Fuel line mod - adding another fuel filter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Fuel line mod - adding another fuel filter
Hi,

Been looking for some information about a way to extend/modify the fuel line in 2.4 Puma in order to add second fuel filter.
As there are specific connectors in the tank and fuel filter, original quick connectors probably must be used. I thought of using the original ones from the fuel line (cut them out) but did't find anyone around Warsaw to make new, plastic lines.
Heard the soft ones (made of rubber) are not that durable and I don't like the option the connector should be fixed using the band.
Has anyone modified the lines/added the secondary fuel filter and can share the experience?
Also - found DORMAN company making the quick connectors - are those the same type as the ones used in our Defenders?

Few picks of what I'm planing to achieve. Copper brake lines imitating future fuel lines.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up
Post #649893 12th Sep 2017 5:24pm
Simon.pl

Post #649895 12th Sep 2017 5:25pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
WHY
Post #649899 12th Sep 2017 5:28pm
Simon.pl

Very good contamination detection system including warning buzzer in the cabin and easy to see-through bowl.
Two years ago Armenian diesel almost killed my Disco3. Would like to avoid it as the Puma engine is very sensitive for the contamination as well.
There is also an option for the heater that can be installed - may be another nice add on in the very cold climate regions. Contaminated fuel caused us a lot of problem last winter. I couldn't start the engine with the -35C deg in the night. Changing fuel filter helped.
Post #649901 12th Sep 2017 5:36pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
We looked into this a few years ago prior to exporting a fleet of RoW 2.2 110s to Ghana to support a project there. The standard of the fuel, especially in the rural areas was pretty shocking.

The kits supplied were from a main dealer and quite pricey but came with everything required to install including instructions, I don't recall them being LR branded however. From what I remember their main function was a water trap with an LED connected in the dash to warn of contamination but there was also a secondary disposable filter included within the system.

In the end we didn't fit them because we needed the vehicles urgently so instead opened a fuel account with a reputable supplier and on the whole have been ok since. They are still in a box in Ghana, would you like me to ask the guys for a bit more info about them? 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #649905 12th Sep 2017 5:54pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
The fuel lines under the bonnet aren't that expensive if i recall. Just buy them and you can chop them about to use the connector from the ends to connect to the existing lines under the bonnet.
Post #649920 12th Sep 2017 6:44pm
Simon.pl

Cheers Harry!

Yes, please do. Any info would be great - especially where they planed to install those pre-filters and how the fuel lines were designed.
Seems like my setup - I also have a LED in the dash for warning and there is 10 micron fuel filter before the main one.

Thumbs Up

Which fuel lines you mean ZSD-PUMA? I mean what are they made of?
Post #649921 12th Sep 2017 6:45pm
Sadi

Namibia 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Simon - have you considered mounting it in the engine bay - more protected, easier to inspect (and drain if necessary) and catches some heat from the engine:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showth...r-2-2-Puma
Post #649924 12th Sep 2017 6:48pm
Simon.pl

Sadi,

I did. But as this is 10 micron filter it should be installed before the main one which is 2 micron (as I recall). The pre-filter is thought of getting the water and minor dirt first, to protect the main filter.
I will make some shield to protect it where it is installed as I know this is not the safest place, but it is easier to have it here considering how the fuel lines run.

Thumbs Up
Post #649925 12th Sep 2017 6:53pm
Biffas

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
JUST CHANGE THE FILTER EVERY 3 MONTHS!!!! SEEMS A LOT OF WORK AND MORE CHANCE OF GETTING AIR IN THE FUEL SYSTEM.
Post #649926 12th Sep 2017 6:58pm
Simon.pl

My car is still in pieces anyway, so fuel lines are totally empty.
And I'm not talking about maintenance but the locations where there is a lot of water in the fuel and either you would be forced to drain the tank to keep going or change the filter every 50kms...
Post #649928 12th Sep 2017 7:03pm
Biffas

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Not sure what u mean but as you know the water sits on the bottom of diesel.
Post #649930 12th Sep 2017 7:07pm
Simon.pl

I mean when you fill up with the contaminated diesel and I mean really bad quality fuel like we had in Armenia, changing filter helps just temporary. We lost power in our Disco as the pump wasn't able to produce proper pressure. The higher in the mountains the worse it was (as expected). New filter would be affected very soon so it's not a solution in such situations. You need an option to be warned before the water gets into the engine and be able to easily get rid of the water. So additional system is a better solution than having 10 filters with you on the trip (although I always have a spare one with me)
Post #649932 12th Sep 2017 7:14pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Totally agree with additional filter for common-rail diesels. The standard filter is 2micron or less. With 300Tdi or even TD5 it is not so bad, these can consume bad diesel fuel much easier.
I se no problem with fuel hoses - they are designed for fuel and normally rated for approx. 20Bar pressure. Just hold them tight to prevent chaffing. And protect the all filter from stones or another mechanical damage.
I think, I have seen somewhere add on filter for the standard fuel filter. But is was only a watter trap, not a real filter. I was just screw on solution.
TDCi engines on Ford cars are (the same as Puma TD4) are a bit sensible for bad fuel. Surprisingly TD5 is not. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #649940 12th Sep 2017 7:36pm
Bushpig

Wales 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
I used a racor & fitted it in the engine compartment...
Look here http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic48466.html Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

2012 2.2 Puma
Post #649994 13th Sep 2017 4:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>