↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance Rip Off for Basic Modifications - LATEST UPDATE .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
BLACK LAB

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Blackwolf . You dont have a clue what your talking about son .

There's the picture of the bull bar / A-frame whatever else you want to call it . Feel free to zoom in on it and you will see that it is part of the bumper . It hasnt been added on as an after thought by somebody somewhere .
I dont care if you feel sympathy as I wasnt asking for sympathy . I was trying to highlight the fact that some insurance companies try and use any means they can to squeeze extra money out of folk .

Click image to enlarge

Incidently I managed to eventually trace the original owner . A lovely chap from a shooting estate down in England .
He remembered his old truck very well and we spoke in great length about Defenders , shooting and salmon fishing .
The spec he chose fitted at factory included chequer plate and spot lights mounted on that very metal bar
.( granted that I now replaced the spot lights due to water ingress on one of the originals ). 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
2018 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE DYNAMIC

Last edited by BLACK LAB on 24th Oct 2017 8:58am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #659297 24th Oct 2017 8:13am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
That A bar wasn't factory. The design had been changed to a either a rotomoulded bolt on A bar or soft A or bull bar by 2001 pictured...

as featured in the 2006 accessory brochure http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122764098180

If it was delivered with the bar on then it must a dealer fit, using a non-std accessory: i.e. a modification. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #659301 24th Oct 2017 8:40am
Lodelaner

...oh - and your air intake grilles and wingtop grilles are aftermarket. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Post #659302 24th Oct 2017 8:41am
Lodelaner

Have you declared the window-tint as well? JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Post #659303 24th Oct 2017 8:42am
BLACK LAB

Widget ,

Maybe the guy who bought the car originally from the dealer is talking complete nonsense to me then ?
I could only take him at face value over a phone .

It seems you have went to great lengths to go onto ebay looking for a brochure to try and prove somebody wrong ? The brochure you have found by trawling the internet has 34 pages but there are only 5 shown in the ebay pictures , Could you be definitely sure that in the other 29 missing pictures there is not a metal A-Bar like mine ?

Perhaps you could upload every single page from this 34 page brochure just so we can determine whether the original owner of this car is lying to me or not ?

This would help me get a better nights sleep ............

I did mention privacy glass and they said as long as it was legal and confirmed to legal limits and done by a proper installer it was ok . I have the invoice to prove it . PM your address and I can scan and send you a copy if you wish so you can also get a better nights sleep ....... Laughing

Seeing as you are so keen to pick my car to bits ......Is your vehicle completely standard right down to the very last nut and bolt or tyres etc ? I'm sure it wont be and I'm sure your insurers will not know about it either . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #659311 24th Oct 2017 9:08am
Lodelaner

I thought it might be helpful - so I looked for a little validation to make the point - took 60 seconds.

My car is rebuilt - and insured to an agreed value, inspected and photographs held on file. So I'm all good thanks.

Go and find contention elsewhere - I'm not up for it thanks. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Post #659338 24th Oct 2017 11:08am
BLACK LAB

You started the contention- really you did .

The 2006 in your picture looks very like a Puma .....Mines is a TD5 .

Though I dont know if that will make any difference to what A-frame/ Bull bar is on a vehicle since day one ?

On the subject of modifications- whether its truly classed as a modification or not the fact remains that it is indeed big business and a great hobby for members of this forum . I just didnt want folk invalidating their insurance unknowingly due to simple straight forward things that are quite common across Defenders . Insurance companies are slippery at best . 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #659346 24th Oct 2017 11:45am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
BLACK LAB wrote:
Blackwolf . You dont have a clue what your talking about son .

Black Lab, you can be as patronising and generally belligerent as you wish, but the fact remains that no standard Defender has EVER left the factory with a bullbar, A-bar, or call-it-want-you-want bar WELDED to the front bumper.

It is possible that special order vehicles may have left the factory with standard bolt-on bars fitted, but as a general rule if a normal non-commercial customer walked into a dealer and ordered a single vehicle, the bar, along with wingtop CP and all other similar accessories (including winches) would be DEALER FITTED.

So your vehicle may have had a bar fitted by the supplying dealer, but I am pretty certain that no franchised dealer would WELD a non-standard bar to the front on a new vehicle for a whole variety of reason, not least warranty issues.

So the inescapable conclusion is that your bar either is not welded on (but I am generously assuming that you can tell the difference between a bar welded to the bumper and a bar which is welded to a bracket bolted to the bumper mountings) or that your bar has been retrofitted by someone other than a dealer.

Either way, there can be very few people on earth now who can honestly claim to be surprised that have having an non-type-approved and unpadded bar on the front of a vehicle causes insurance complications and a general reluctance to insure the vehicle. Perhaps however you are amongst that few.

Incidentally the resolution and lighting of the photo that you so helpfully suggest i zoom in on (I hadn't thought of doing that, really) is such that it really isn't possible to make out how it is fixed to the vehicle, and frankly I no longer care anyway.
Post #659388 24th Oct 2017 1:48pm
BLACK LAB

Yer making some bold statements empahsised with capital letters so we can understand your superior wisdom.

Makes me wonder though........

Do you own Landrover ?
How do you know exactly what Landrovers have came out the factory ?
Did you build every single Landrover ?
Have you inspected every single Landrover as it rolled out the factory door ?
Have you went back in a time machine 11 years to the time when this one was built ?
Have you ever spoken to the original purchaser ?
Were you there when the original purchaser signed the deal to buy the vehicle and chose all the extras he wanted on it including heated steering wheel as standard ( I'm guessing not many of them on 11 year old Defenders either )?

I never posted this thread to gain your sympathy that you uncaringly held back from me in your previous reply so lets see if you keep to your new promise when you say you dont care now anyway .
EVIL FRONT BUMPER

Click image to enlarge
 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS

Last edited by BLACK LAB on 24th Oct 2017 3:39pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #659399 24th Oct 2017 3:11pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #659401 24th Oct 2017 3:21pm
BLACK LAB

Laughing Laughing Laughing 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS

Last edited by BLACK LAB on 24th Oct 2017 3:51pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #659405 24th Oct 2017 3:44pm
BLACK LAB

ericvv wrote:
^^ That surely is not a factory bumper/nudge bar.
Heated steering wheel as standard too... Shocked
Wow, that must have been a good day at Solihull. Rolling with laughter
Eric

I'm quite sure there are more experts who maybe own Landrover and more that single handedly built every single Landrover in existence on this forum who could tell us if it was a good day at Solihull or not ?

Maybe I'm so daft that I hadnt noticed that I have been steering the thing for the past year with a hot water bottle ? Rolling Eyes 2006 DEFENDER 90 TD5 CSW XS
Post #659407 24th Oct 2017 3:48pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Hi Blacklab, I think you may be misunderstanding the earlier replys on this topic. I'm certain that most if not all the people who have replied will agree that insurance company's are a complete rip off but...... It is something we all have to have and in recent years pretty much all insurance company have been clamping down on every mod imaginable as a way to make more money (even stickers have made a price rise in some cases) As such I think people were just trying to point out the none factory parts which were on your defender so the insurance company cant wriggle out of anything. The close up picture of the bull bar you put up doesn't look welded to the bumper to me, it looks like it wraps around the bumper although I'm sure you know what your talking about so I'll leave it at that but I believe this kind of bar was never offered from factory but may have been fitted by a dealer when the defender was new before the owner picked it up causing the confusion. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #659425 24th Oct 2017 4:42pm
nitram17

Madness
This insurance stuff is a minefield Laughing So if you buy a second hand Landy,you have to go through the truck with a fine tooth comb and register everything that is not standard for that truck from led lights to springs.........everything has to be OEM.........springs,dampers,brake pads?....its bonkers!
Post #659429 24th Oct 2017 4:54pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
just to add my 2p - I've recently insured with Adrian Flux and the process was pretty good. Sure I had to list every modification (that is, anything the car didn't come from the factory with) in great detail. But once you've done it, save the list and its simple next time.

I have since been unfortunate enough to need to make a claim due to an accident and although the process is still in full swing, so far they have been excellent. My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #659431 24th Oct 2017 4:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>