↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Winter road tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
deejayen

Scotland 
Winter road tyres
I'm thinking about buying some winter road tyres for my 90. It has alloy wheels, and I think the tyres are 235/85 x 16"

The only winter specific tyres I can see at online tyre places are the Nokian Hakkapeliitta. Are these okay for road driving (not just in winter), and are they any good as a winter tyre? I'm wondering if there'd be a lot of roll when cornering at higher speeds on dry roads etc. Would one of the general purpose all terrain tyres (I normally use the standard General Grabber tyres) be almost as good in winter, or would there be a definite benefit with the Nokians? Also, are there any better winter tyres in this size?
Post #651762 21st Sep 2017 12:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Proper winter tyres are marked with the mountain/snowflake symbol and can make a huge difference when the temperature drops. Some AT tyres are so rated but not all. I've used General Grabber AT2's in the past which do have the mark and they were great in the snow and ice.

The big difference between dedicated winter and regular tyres is both the sipes in the treads and the rubber compound, which is much softer. This means that they can wear faster in warmer temperatures, but there shouldn't be any significant detrimental affects on handling.

I've also used General Snow Grabbers, which are a more dedicated winter road tyre and also found them to be superb. They were fitted to a Freelander 2 and provided very good directional handling even in warmer weather.

Nokians are very highly rated though and you can't really go wrong with them. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #651767 21st Sep 2017 12:46pm
nick345345

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
I've used various Nokians over the years (on other cars) and always been impressed during winter. I've had Nokian Hakkapeliittas (albeit 285's) on the Defender for the last 12 months and have had no problems. There's not been any significant snow to test them on, but they've been fine through the summer for normal road driving. I guess they're wearing quicker than a summer tyre, but I don't do too many miles. They're quiet in comparison to the mud terrains I had on previously.
Post #651768 21st Sep 2017 12:54pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
I've been running BFG AT KO2s as they are winter rated (snowflaked). They got plenty of runs out in the snow and were way better in the snow / ice than the KM2 Mud Terrains I'd run previously. 
Post #651769 21st Sep 2017 12:58pm
deejayen

Scotland 
Thanks very much. I'll check my existing tyres to see if they have the snowflake symbol on them, although I don't think they do.

I've driven a Defender for years, but not had specific winter tyres. I tend to drive sensibly in winter conditions, but any extra grip would be good, even if only for the mental reassurance!
Post #651771 21st Sep 2017 1:00pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I have KM2's and they are excellent tyre's all around and would not ever swap them.
But they are frightening on hard pack ice, but good on soft snow.

In snowy conditions which we hardly ever have, I prefer not to drive anyway due to risk with or without different tyre types.
KM2's are designed for purpose, I'd say K02's on balance would indeed be better in icy snowy conditions.

But in general use I'd not swap my KM2's at all, and are far more suitable across the board for most weather we get.
We rarely get icy snowy conditions, and as I said it's extremely risky to drive in anyway so I prefer not to.

Insures could argue it's negligent to purposely be out in it also in case of major damage, not something I'd like to risk. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #651782 21st Sep 2017 1:12pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
5 posts on winter tyres and no sign of Eric?! Rolling with laughter
Post #651789 21st Sep 2017 1:22pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
custom90steve wrote:
I have KM2's and they are excellent tyre's all around and would not ever swap them.
But they are frightening on hard pack ice, but good on soft snow.

In snowy conditions which we hardly ever have, I prefer not to drive anyway due to risk with or without different tyre types.
KM2's are designed for purpose, I'd say K02's on balance would indeed be better in icy snowy conditions.

But in general use I'd not swap my KM2's at all, and are far more suitable across the board for most weather we get.
We rarely get icy snowy conditions, and as I said it's extremely risky to drive in anyway so I prefer not to.

Insures could argue it's negligent to purposely be out in it also in case of major damage, not something I'd like to risk.

I too was a KM / KM2 fan for years Smile
However swapped to AT's (KO2) when I last replaced them and they are like chalk and cheese.
The ATs don't flinch in the ice / snow where the Muds where pretty scary on ice / hard packed snow.
On the road they are also way quieter.
If I was in deep mud everyday, I'd go back to MTs however 
Post #651794 21st Sep 2017 1:34pm
Dunc99

United Kingdom 
After ending up in a ditch last winter when the BFG AT's lost all grip in slushy snow, I looked for proper winter tyres that could also do green lanes.

I went for Cooper Discover M+S tyres 215/85 on steel rims. Haven't tried them in snow yet but they've been great on green lanes in the Lakes (tibberthwaite, parkamoor etc) and better than the old BFGs at pulling camper vans through the mud at Kendal Calling this year.
Post #651800 21st Sep 2017 1:43pm
NickEJ

Slovenia 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Galway Green
We have a great arrangement here. Your local friendly tyre fitter stores whichever tyres you're not using for a small fee - 16 I think. Then on the 15th November and thereafter by law you have to have winter tyres - so you call up your man, arrange a time and he swaps tyres for you. It's tempting to get another set of boosts to make life easier but, to be honest, it couldn't get much easier.

I got a set Kumho last year and was impressed with the grip. I always carry snow chains as well though just in case. Interestingly, when we lived in Washington DC it would take them about 3-4 days to clear any snow if it was a significant dump. Here, it's done before you get out of bed - pavements included.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by NickEJ on 21st Sep 2017 2:06pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #651803 21st Sep 2017 1:55pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Scotm wrote:
5 posts on winter tyres and no sign of Eric?! Rolling with laughter

No point really in commenting this again. Use the search feature on here and you will find enough threads/sensible opinions to make up your mind.
Right now still busy anyway with digesting last nights concert here. Cool
Eric

Click image to enlarge
 You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #651805 21st Sep 2017 2:04pm
Petrovich

Russia 
Its all depends on what kind of winter you have ))
How much snow if any?
For last 10 years for me (in the most northern megapolis in the world) Cooper Discoverer M+S 235/85 R16 120/116Q with pins
Good grip, no aqua planing, good side walls

Defender 110 '07

Last edited by Petrovich on 21st Sep 2017 5:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #651806 21st Sep 2017 2:04pm
TomekW

Poland 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
+1 for Cooper Discoverer M+S
had them on D2 and have them on D3 and Defender 2021 Defender 90 D250
1998 TUL
1997 TUM FFR
2003 Defender 110SW Td5
1985 ExMOD 110 ST 3.9 V8
1971 Series IIa Lightweight
Post #651854 21st Sep 2017 5:05pm
deejayen

Scotland 
I've had a look, and my current tyres are General Grabber TR, which, although they have M + S on them, are classified as a summer tyre. Does the M + S give any indication that they might not be too bad in winter?
Post #651901 21st Sep 2017 7:57pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
No, not really. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #651905 21st Sep 2017 8:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>