↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 300TDi bulkhead loom (RoW spec) question - again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Orange_Charlie

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi G4 LE Tangiers Orange
300TDi bulkhead loom (RoW spec) question - again
Apologies as I know this is a repetitive thread, but I'm struggling for a definitive answer from any of the forums. Here goes - I'm looking to purchase a RoW spec bulkhead loom for my 300TDi D90, to allow the use of TD5 clocks and centre console switches. Not looking for any further additions to my electrics, just like the basic car features with the newer-style dash. Questions as follows;

- Is the RoW spec loom (I know there's 2 variants) a direct swap/plug & play solution to this?
- Can I retain the original TDi fuel tank under drivers seat (incl. pickup/return pipe and fuel level sender)?
- Does anyone have the part number for the transfer box transducer I need to replace the old cable drive?

I've read the RetroAnaconda and ReedX sites for swapping and using the original loom, but I'd like to try and do it as "standard" as possible.

Thanks for all (hopefully positive) responses....
Post #651474 20th Sep 2017 9:49am
benspray

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Chawton White
Pretty sure you'd need to either modify the ROW spec loom to connect to your existing looms or fit TD5/RoW spec Chassis/engine/Roof/wing looms as well as the plugs etc will all be different.

For info I've got a full set of RoW spec looms going into my 300tdi 110 rebuild, as thats going on a RoW spec chassis (ie basically a Td5 chassis with 300tdi engine mounts) so I get to use the later fuel tank/sender etc.

Regards
Ben
Post #651501 20th Sep 2017 12:04pm
benspray

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Chawton White
Personally in your situation I'd be using retroanacondas guide to fitting the TD5 clocks/warning light panel and leaving it at that - its a lot of extra work/money to get the full looms to gain the centre switches and I'd imagine you could probably modify what you have easier and cheaper.... Wink
Post #651502 20th Sep 2017 12:07pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
If your 300Tdi has the same type of plugs then it should be fairly plug and play. I say fairly because there will always be some Censored about and you may need to modify some of your peripheral looms to suit (change plugs, rearrange wires etc.).

With regard to the fuel tank, notwithstanding the above re. plugs etc. it shouldn't make much difference. Still just a wire to the sender and back. The Td5 gauges work with the Tdi sender unit fine.

Transducer part number is in the guide.

Rather than splashing out a grand on a ROW loom it might be worth picking up a basic Td5 one for cheap and trying with that first. You'll need to modify it a bit but it would save a chunk of cash.
Post #651619 20th Sep 2017 7:32pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I modified TD5 harnesses for my 90, it's an enormous saving on buying ROW harnesses.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #651634 20th Sep 2017 8:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1