↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Middle Lane Roadhogs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
rockster57 wrote:
On that subject, here's one that intrigues me - common occurrence to see drivers who have just overtaken on the motorway to signal left when returning from their overtaking lane to an inside lane. Why?

If you're in lane 3 planning to move to lane 2, you make sure you indicate otherwise the person in Lane 1 planning to move to lane 2 is likely to hit you.

I recently did the IAM advanced driving course (never got round to the exam), You indicate when it could be useful to other road users, not because you're about to change lane/turn etc. That means if you're turning at a roundabout, there is no need to indicate if indicating does not help other road users.
If (like me), you were taught the standard way to indicate at every junction/roundabout, it's a hard habit to get out of, but does make you much more aware of other road users.
Post #651048 18th Sep 2017 5:05pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Quote:
That means if you're turning at a roundabout, there is no need to indicate if indicating does not help other road users.
If (like me), you were taught the standard way to indicate at every junction/roundabout, it's a hard habit to get out of, but does make you much more aware of other road users.

Yes - I indicate at roundabouts by automatic reaction =- even late at night when no one's around.

However, as a motorcyclist - I think that's what we should all do. Having been knocked off a bike, and getting the "oh sorry I did not see you" - an indicator on a car even when there's "no-one there" could save lives... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #651059 18th Sep 2017 6:07pm
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
As someone who has just passed their test and been through learning to drive this year, I thought I would share my experiences.

With regards to motorways and dual carriageways, my instructor always said very clearly: keep left unless overtaking. Very simple, no extra clauses or conditions. A mate of mine got failed for unnecessarily being in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway for too long.

For indicating we were told when rejoining a carriageway (from parked up by side of road for example), only indicate if there was someone there to tell. This almost always means I don't indicate since if there's someone coming, I can't go anyway. In fact my instructor pretty much advised me not to indicate so as not to get a 'minor' fault for potentially making it look like I'm turning off down a side road.

We got the same advise when it comes to changing lanes - only indicate when there's someone there to tell. It's extremely rare to be changing lanes on a motorway/dual carriageway when there's no-one around you at all so I always indicate to change lanes. Also they were really hot on signalling at a roundabout - at ALL times

scotty38 wrote:
In my mind the lane changing on motorways without indicating only seems to have become really commonplace over the last few years so I'd love to know why.

I guess this comes from new drivers misinterpreting/forgetting/too lazy to check around them and decide whether a signal is necessary, but the motorways in this country are busy enough to warrant a signal for lane change pretty much all the time.

Not sure what instructors/driving school were telling their pupils that left lane is for HGVs and caravans only but I'm sure they would be failed if they were asked to drive on a dual carriageway in their test Shocked Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #651071 18th Sep 2017 6:55pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
"For indicating we were told when rejoining a carriageway (from parked up by side of road for example), only indicate if there was someone there to tell."

During my driver training it was suggested to me that signalling to someone who derives no advantage from knowing your intention is just as pointless as signalling to an empty road.

I'm not in favour of advocating signalling every time. Habitual actions tend to suppress thoughtful observant driving. The onus is on the driver changing, direction, course, speed etc to ensure his/her manoeuvre doesn't jeopardise the safety of other road users. Hence the need to carefully observe AND be aware of who may benefit from a signal.

Last edited by rockster57 on 18th Sep 2017 9:39pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #651149 18th Sep 2017 9:30pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Have just done some long miles on motorways over this weekend.

Saw some 'driving' which only just did not cause collisions. Car enters busy motorway from slip road into lane 1, immeadiately into lane 2 then into lane 3. Car in lane 3 (probably exceeding 70mph) has to do a nose dive to prevent rear ending the car which has just entered motorway. No wonder there are collisions on the motorways.

Drivers not maintaining 'safety zones' 'braking distance' or '2 second rules' preferring to keep to the idiotic 1-2 car distance apart.

A lot of drivers do not realise that turbulent traffic flow slows dow mass traffic volume flow compared to laminar traffic flow.

A lot of drivers do not realise in the UK we drive in lefthand lane unless overtaking.

Brendan
Post #651154 18th Sep 2017 9:38pm
rockster57

"A lot of drivers do not realise that turbulent traffic flow slows dow mass traffic volume flow compared to laminar traffic flow"

Very true Brendan.

Sadly it is only those behind the errant driver who suffer the consequences of his/her chaotic driving, whilst he/she who creates the problem is unaffected by it. Too many selfish people on the roads for us ever to reach that collective responsible utopia.
Post #651157 18th Sep 2017 9:50pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Driving is a privilege, not a right. Learning the mechanics of operating a car is in no way the same as learning road craft. There are soooooooo many people out there who wouldn't know road craft if it drove into them in a waggon. In all honesty I learned to drive once I had passed my driving test not before, which is a sad report on the driving test. Until the test is improved to reflect actual driving conditions nothing will change. Oh and one test at 17 and you are good until 70 is not responsible either, a retest every ten years to 57 and then evey 5 thereafter. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #651190 19th Sep 2017 5:34am
rockster57

"Oh and one test at 17 and you are good until 70 is not responsible either, a retest every ten years to 57 and then evey 5 thereafter."

I think I know where you're coming from there Lambert. Although I suspect the culprits in most of the examples of poor driving we grumble about are not the elderly. Bad driving isn't age related - it's attitude related.
Post #651266 19th Sep 2017 1:06pm
dorsetsmith

lambert.the.farmer wrote:
Driving is a privilege, not a right. Learning the mechanics of operating a car is in no way the same as learning road craft. There are soooooooo many people out there who wouldn't know road craft if it drove into them in a waggon. In all honesty I learned to drive once I had passed my driving test not before, which is a sad report on the driving test. Until the test is improved to reflect actual driving conditions nothing will change. Oh and one test at 17 and you are good until 70 is not responsible either, a retest every ten years to 57 and then evey 5 thereafter.

Thumbs Up
Post #651282 19th Sep 2017 2:13pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I can still remember my driving instructor telling me after I passed "Now I've taught you to pass the test, now you need to learn to drive!" Shocked James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #651291 19th Sep 2017 2:54pm
rockster57

Whilst I agree the test should be more "testing", I doubt the changes would amount to much. Yes, the failing eyesight, reactions and judgment of some of the elderly will be exposed. As for the rest of the motoring community, too many will play the game to requalify but then lapse into bad driver behaviour just as they do now. It's the anonymity of being enclosed in a metal box that reveals a drivers true character. How can that be tackled? Or the bravado of the younger drivers in the company of their mates?

Anyway, I'm getting off my soapbox now and heading back to my favourite forum section - you know, the grumpy old git thread Rolling with laughter
Post #651297 19th Sep 2017 3:06pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
I'm not saying it would weed out all bad driving but it would be an improvement on once and done. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #651418 20th Sep 2017 5:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123