↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Middle Lane Roadhogs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Middle lane hogging is dealt with as careless driving (section 3, Road Traffic Act 1988) and can result in a £100 fixed penalty ticket and 3 points.

Undertake on a motorway and you can fall foul of the same legislation. You may also get wiped out by that middle lane dreamer who quite probably hasn't a clue about what is going on around them and may decide to make a random return to lane 1 just as you are coming up the inside. Is the risk worth it just to make a point to these people?

A point to note however, is that "undertaking" is not illegal in all cases. There is a common sense approach to it in congested conditions. See rule 268
Post #650944 18th Sep 2017 10:05am
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Your last sentence is very true, similar applies to passing very slow traffic on central double white lines. Diesels Lives Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #650945 18th Sep 2017 10:08am
rockster57

Be careful with that last one Steve. There is only an exemption when the road is clear AND the slow moving traffic you refer to is either a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle travelling at 10mph or less. Seems silly to me but if you cross a solid white line to pass a different type of vehicle travelling at 10mph or less, then an offence is committed! Neutral
Post #650949 18th Sep 2017 10:49am
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Middle lane hogs are one thing, although the drivers in lane 4 of the A1M when the others are clear are quite another but the no indicator brigade are the ones that really get to me. Roundabouts and lane changing without using them does my head in.... In my mind the lane changing on motorways without indicating only seems to have become really commonplace over the last few years so I'd love to know why.
Post #650964 18th Sep 2017 11:47am
rockster57

On that subject, here's one that intrigues me - common occurrence to see drivers who have just overtaken on the motorway to signal left when returning from their overtaking lane to an inside lane. Why?
Post #650986 18th Sep 2017 12:56pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
The M25 has to be the worst road for lane discipline , lane 1 is nearly always empty. It is very often a filter for some of the exits but is also a lane Sheep HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #650989 18th Sep 2017 1:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
On the subject of indicating we were told by the 'tutor'? on my last speed awareness course Rolling Eyes that over indicating was an indication (no pun intended) of a driver who is unaware of his/her surroundings.
Just like when people assume that they can pull out into your lane because they had indicated regardless of whether the gap is there or not.
Post #650992 18th Sep 2017 1:14pm
rockster57

Thumbs Up
Post #650993 18th Sep 2017 1:17pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I work with a number or Eastern Europeans (living in UK), and my mate's GF is Chinese.

Only 1 of these people bothered to take UK training (they all have licenses in their own countries of origin) lessons. The Eastern European girl who decided to take UK driving lessons (even tho she did not legally HAVE to) is horrified by the driving of the others... They drive to their own country's defacto standard...not ours! And YES - they never use the left lane (and barely indicate)...

The Chinese GF says "I always drive in the right hand lane"...!!! Confused Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #650994 18th Sep 2017 1:21pm
Chris90V8

England 1987 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Portofino Red
Just like when people assume that they can pull out into your lane because they had indicated regardless of whether the gap is there or not.[/quote]

....i travel to London very frequently with my job
The amount of Lorry drivers that use the "I've indicated, so I have right of way" rule !!!!!
😨 πŸšœ. ...... . .... . .. πŸš—πŸšπŸš›πŸššπŸššπŸš—πŸš™πŸš
Post #651000 18th Sep 2017 1:36pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
The amount of Lorry drivers that use the "I've indicated, so I have right of way" rule !!!!!

I thought this only applied to P.S.V. and Taxi drivers.

A number of years back, possibly 40 years, I received at my home address a letter of caution signed by a Police Chief Superintendent after I failed to give way to a P.S.V. that was indicating to leave a bus stop lay by, his occurred why visiting Somerset and Devon and with it being so long ago I cannot remember which Force it came from, I sent a turs reply to the effect that I had not broken the Road traffic Act and that his letter of caution was a breach of his powers and that I was referring the matter to his Chief Constable. I later received a full apology from the Ch. Constable . [/b] Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #651008 18th Sep 2017 2:35pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
What annoys me is the type of formula one pit lane mentality drivers who race up the fast lane and then drive across the other two or more lanes to exit the motorway well past the three stripes marker. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #651014 18th Sep 2017 2:51pm
dorsetsmith

fast lane on motorway ? driver in left hand line both other to the right are for overtaking only

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 18th Sep 2017 3:44pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #651018 18th Sep 2017 3:15pm
rockster57

ARC99 wrote:

A number of years back, possibly 40 years, I received at my home address a letter of caution signed by a Police Chief Superintendent after I failed to give way to a P.S.V. that was indicating to leave a bus stop lay by, his occurred why visiting Somerset and Devon and with it being so long ago I cannot remember which Force it came from, I sent a turs reply to the effect that I had not broken the Road traffic Act and that his letter of caution was a breach of his powers and that I was referring the matter to his Chief Constable. I later received a full apology from the Ch. Constable .

Rule 223 Highway Code
Buses, coaches and trams. Give priority to these vehicles when you can do so safely, especially when they signal to pull away from stops....

The confusion that often arises from the Highway Code stems from the fact that it contains legal do's and don'ts (offences) alongside good practice (advice only). Rule 223 is an example of the latter. It's not unreasonable to expect the police to get the distinction right but clearly that has not always been the case.
Post #651024 18th Sep 2017 3:39pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Define undertaking?...and whether continuing at a set speed in a lane passing cars on your right is undertaking or whether it is a deliberate act in which you purposefully use the left lane to pass traffic. I believe the later is the answer and was something speaking with a few professionals seemed to be sensible - it also fits into the Highway Code as you an pass cars on your right when say in a queue or filtering etc.

Indicating is an interesting one - i did an experiment, i got less people pulling out and creating gaps when i didnt indicate at islands (well doing it a t the last minute) etc than when i did...seems people actually wait when you dont indicated rather than assume when you do. Mike
Post #651047 18th Sep 2017 5:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>