↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Lumpy idle for a few seconds after stopping, when hot
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Lumpy idle for a few seconds after stopping, when hot
I've been on a decent long run down to West Wales this week. I had to take the TD5. The car doesn't normally do long journeys, and usually runs great.

Today I noticed that when its been running for a while, for example when I pulled off the M56 this evening after cruising along at 70 for half an hour, the tick over is quite lumpy. After about 10 seconds it settles and idles smoothly.

Never noticed this before, is it normal? 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #650388 14th Sep 2017 10:12pm
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Is it hunting for 740rpm, meaning it is idling between 720 and 760? Or is it looking even worse?

If you steady the throttle at 900rpm does this go away?

Is the ecu tuned?

Do you have ac running? From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #651184 19th Sep 2017 12:32am
Alextd5

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Hi Gareth,

I had the same with my 06 td5, yet my 03 plate never done it. I done a lot of research and spoke to several td5 owners which 3 out of the 5 say never experienced it. I fitted another ECU, also had the injectors tested and replaced with new seals it never made a difference. It Only done it when hot and when coming of the
Motorway?!

I then read a post about the flywheel causing it? I haven't replaced mine as to be honest it’s very rarely does it now ? Why I don’t know. Let me know if you every find the cause ?

Alex
Post #695634 23rd Mar 2018 10:45am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yup mine has begun to do this exact thing since the head was skimmed and replaced. Injectors have also begun to get a little rattley too, but suspect that is down to them having covered 190k miles.

I was pondering on this whilst driving from Anglesey to Devon and figure it must have something to do with the fly wheel and crank sensor. So have a spare sensor which I will swap over to confirm whether that is the issue or not.

The other posability is that it could be an earthing issue. Generally the control systems on the TD5 work at very low voltages, so any loss (or gain) could effect the functionality of the ECU to "live" adjust settings. I will also be going over all of the vehicles chassis and engine earthing points and running a dedicated ECU earth back to the battery.

The latter point I think is a good thing to do anyway as part of general maintenance, it cannot hurt...
Post #695646 23rd Mar 2018 11:14am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I used to get this a lot on the previous engine I had in my 110. I've recently swopped it for a slightly newer with half the miles on the clock Discovery II engine that had a recent clutch and flywheel. Instantly I noticed the difference with no lumpy idling when pulling up at traffic lights or in traffic. The clutch and flywheel had been changed on the old engine in 2006 and by looking at the mileage it had done at least 150K miles before I did the engine change and when I took the old clutch apart there was quite a lot more rotary movement on the dual mass flywheel and more alarming was the fact that you can rock it along the same lines to checking wheel bearings.
After looking up some prices on dual mass flywheels I came across a few comments saying that LR recommend replacement of the DM flywheel at 70K Whistle
Post #695965 24th Mar 2018 8:32pm
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Have you removed the egr? 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #695990 24th Mar 2018 10:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1