↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Rolling 40 year MOT exemtion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
orkneydave

United Kingdom 
Rolling 40 year MOT exemtion
Just been made aware on another forum of a 40 year rolling exemption for cars being introduced from May next year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultation...c-interest

There are some things to watch out for though such as increases of power to weight ratio and significant alterations.

Quote:
To summarise: Vehicles over 40 years old to be exempt from MOT unless they are 'substantially altered' with in the 8-point DVLA ruling or have the power-to-weight ratio increased by more than 15 per cent over original, in which case they will no longer be deemed a VHI. In the case of the power to weight ratio, if the modifications can be proved to have been implemented before 1988, then nothing changes. If you've built a hot-rod Porsche based on an early car since 1988, then you'll lose the rights to Historic status it would appear.
Post #650293 14th Sep 2017 3:10pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
One less thing to forget to do on the 101 Thumbs Up Free road tax and the legal right to use black & silver number plates Cool

However, apart from saving ~£50 per year I'm not entirely convinced that the MOT exemption is a good thing. Responsible owners will always keep their vehicles in a roadworthy condition but what about the others?

Insurance policies for historic vehicles will need new wording, as most specify that the vehicle must have a current MOT to be insured.
Post #650317 14th Sep 2017 4:32pm
forever

United Kingdom 
So i guess not point in MOT'ing mine after its winter layoff, 1971 88" Smile
Post #650323 14th Sep 2017 5:24pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
At first I thought ooh that's good...

But...

Most 40 year old cars will not be daily drivers some maybe do hundreds of miles a year at most. Many even less..

So the MOT is to test the CAR is safe? not just for you but other road users?

for example is this right that I could have my series sat in the garage year on year, bring it out after 14 months sat there and trundle down the road even motorway and no tests on the car would have been done....?

Not sure its a good thing really... As already mentioned people will buy up 'old' bangers' of any make not just LR and sell them in all sorts of conditions?

As said I think 'we' will keep them good as its in out interest but not convinced.
Post #650369 14th Sep 2017 8:34pm
orkneydave

United Kingdom 
Mine is a daily driver and I know that there a couple of minor jobs for next MOT. With an exemption I could in theory just not bother. Will be interesting to see if the part about power to weight makes it into the legislation and how it will be policed.

What is worrying is that I have an MGB that will be exempt too. It's off the road after the engine gave way and I found the sills were made of papier mache. In theory, I could now just patch it up and put back on the road without independent inspection (I wont). But then I could already do that with a pre 1960 car!
Post #650371 14th Sep 2017 8:45pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
What's driving this consultation? I'm not aware the classic car world has been pushing for it, in fact many seem in favour of keeping the MOT. Is this about some how making testing cheaper for government/garages? Maybe they no longer need some equipment to test older vehicles or something? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #650374 14th Sep 2017 9:10pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
you have tony blair and his mates for binning off the 20 year old tax exempt, then they decided to push on the 40 year old thing and bin off MOTs on anything from pre 1970s.
They should have left it all as it was, instead playing about with things that are not broken!
But its nice to see that its finally rolling now, but the MOT thing I have to say should remain, you do get some bodged up classics, minis are a favourite for this thing. Last thing you want to do be buying is a classic car of your dreams only for it to be a death trap! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #650393 15th Sep 2017 1:03am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Is it time I went out and buy up as many cars 39 years old with out MOT's...

Thumbs Up
Post #650421 15th Sep 2017 9:41am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Just because it's not a legal requirement, many insurance companies will probably still insist on an MOT to prove road worthiness. I believe that some companies already do for MOT exempt cars
Post #650425 15th Sep 2017 10:11am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I've always Done voluntary MOTs on my 3 series 1s, (all Historic mot & tax)
But I always think if anything were to happen and it was an insurance Job, would they try to wriggle themselves out of paying out?
I'm sure they would go through the vehicle with a fine tooth comb?

Plus, even though I've restored, and maintained them myself it doesn't hurt to have another pair of eyes look over it from time to time.

I can understand tax exempt, that's a nice gesture but I think the MOT should stay for everyone's safety regardless of age.
I do MOTs and it's scary what people are happy to drive about in! Shocked 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #650428 15th Sep 2017 10:33am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Agree

It's not just your safety driving it but other road users and pedestrians etc..

Seems odd, but if it's needed for the Insurance still then it will still be a requirement really?
Post #650429 15th Sep 2017 10:38am
Thon

United Kingdom 
In all good sense the vehicle should be maintained in accordance with the requirements of an MOT anyway.

I suspect if a vehicle defect was the cause of an accident it wouldn't matter if it possessed a valid MOT or not, or whether it required one or not - the owner would be responsible either way. Irrespective of a yearly MOT the user has a responsibility to maintain the vehicle in a roadworthy condition.

In the same way I would also not be surprised if an insurance company would use the defect as a reason to refuse to honour a claim as the vehicle had not been maintained in accordance with statutory requirements or in a roadworthy condition.

Personally I am happy to have a knowledgeable person check my car from top to bottom, and I think a one year interval makes sense.
Post #650436 15th Sep 2017 11:06am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Don't forget that an mot is only valid at the moment of testing. It is not a guarantee of the vehicle still being in a roadworthy state 6 months later or 6 weeks later or even 6 hours later, hence the plod have the right to demand any vehicle be subjected to the test at any time if they have due reason for concern. The responsibility for roadworthiness rests with the user. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #650478 15th Sep 2017 4:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1