↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Main relay on Defender? ** Car still randomly cutting out **
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
When it cuts out:

Does the radio go off? It did originally but sure it stays on now?

When the mileometer comes back on has the trip counter reset back to 0.0? No stays as it was on whatever it was on prior

Do other things running (wipers) go off? The sat nav (tomtom had gone off not had it plugged in for a while so cannot tell now), also not sure if wipers stop as no have them on when it goes off. The lights 'light' I'm pretty sure stays on, I'm unsure if the lights are on from the outside. I do know the power steering and signals go off.

Does wiggling the key rather than switching off and back on again do anything? I will be honest I have not tried that.

I've tried wiggling the key while driving and nothing....

When you say 'Switch' do you mean the one at the other end of the ignition barrel?

Is there a wiring diagram for the car anyone can send (2.4) my electrician friend was keen to look (house electrics but will know more than me)
Post #654358 2nd Oct 2017 3:56pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Yes I mean the round switch of the end of the barrel. Thumbs Up

As the trip comes back to the old value, it isn't an earth or permanent 12V dropping off the instrument pack.

Power steering stops as engine is no longer running.
What do you mean by signals? Indicators?

The ignition dropping out wouldn't affect the front and rear side lights, but it would turn off the headlights, and cut the supply to the brake lights.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #654359 2nd Oct 2017 4:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dorsetsmith

wiring diagram for the car anyone can send (2.4)

see link below

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AtZSoWFHDgnGhDbxYedTopmyd1rA
Post #654360 2nd Oct 2017 4:05pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Thank you Dorset

Yes I mean the round switch of the end of the barrel. Thumbs Up - Great I have this on order, I did try wiggling the connectors when the dash board pod was out but this did nothing, I guess the 'workings' are in the switch?

As the trip comes back to the old value, it isn't an earth or permanent 12V dropping off the instrument pack. (Thanks, I think)

Power steering stops as engine is no longer running. (ok Thanks)
What do you mean by signals? Indicators? (pretty sure the indicator (left to pull in did not work) It's happened so quick didn't notice so will check

The ignition dropping out wouldn't affect the front and rear side lights, but it would turn off the headlights, and cut the supply to the brake lights.

^ This point is what concerns me... I drive home down some narrow country lanes, even at 40 mph in a de restricted if I lose lights.... Not great as winter is coming...

Your recommendation of the switch is hopefully a good one Smile
Post #654361 2nd Oct 2017 4:15pm
dorsetsmith

Post #654363 2nd Oct 2017 4:23pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Sorry I'm a bit late to this conundrum.

Can I ask without getting my head bitten off.

Is it lack of fuel to the engine that makes it stop rather than the ignition switch? Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #654381 2nd Oct 2017 5:39pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I've no idea but would think it would start to splutter? It's just like an off switch no warning etc...

Bl__dy annoying 😣
Post #654382 2nd Oct 2017 5:42pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Sorry for not replying in the other thread Stacey, I have been paying attention to this one though.

I'd almost certainly say that it's not a fuel issue. Fuel wouldn't cut ignition so you wouldn't see clocks and dials drop. Let alone headlights etc. No head biting Smile

If you really cannot get any further using the information so far though, it's going to be a case of going through each switch or relay within the ignition circuit IMO. If you're not savvy enough (and I'm certainly not) I'd get an auto electrician to go through it. It sounds like it's basically like you're switching off the key whilst your driving, so that should narrow it down somewhat.

Really sorry I can't help more.
Post #654716 3rd Oct 2017 11:21pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Have you actually made sure that relay 2 is really tight in its socket and that all four spade terminals are making proper contact. I have seen symptoms like this on more than one 2.4 which have gone away completely after this relay has been properly reseated.

This relay (and indeed the others) should be firm enough in its connector to feel as though when you remove it you are likely to rip the connector off the car rather than the relay from the socket, ie really tight! You may need to extract and close up the female spades from the socket moulding if you have an extraction tool and can do it - somethimes the harness is too restrictive - alternatively put a slight kink in the male spades on the relay.

I know that this has been suggested before and you may have done it, but I cannot see in any of your posts confirmation that you have done it.

There are relatively few components that can cause these symptoms on a 2.4 amd this is one of the simpler things to rule out.
Post #654744 4th Oct 2017 8:38am
Martin
Site Admin

The supply for the dash isn't through a relay so can't see a relay issue causing it; however it's not a bad idea to check them all for poor connections and re-seat anyway.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #654757 4th Oct 2017 9:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I have wiggled all the relays (under the seat) and the fuse box but not taken each one out and re seated.

I will try this and change the new man relay I fitted for another new one (as I bought 2)

Would the main relay not cause the dials to drop if it failed?

Narrowing it down then does the ignition switch look like the culprit? as I have this on order.

As the trip does not zero when the car comes back on does this mean the ECU is ok?

I will check all the relays soon as my next job and tighten them up, your right about them being tight as the main one I swapped I pulled the thing so hard to get it out... plus its awkward to get a grip on it.

Thanks all
Post #654761 4th Oct 2017 9:31am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Stacey007 wrote:
Would the main relay not cause the dials to drop if it failed?

Yes, I would expect the dials to drop. Are you saying that they don't drop but continue to show engine speed, road speed, etc? If so I confess I missed that in your posts. I will reread your threads when I get a moment.

If the engine is cutting out but other things are still working, maybe and intermittent fault with the crankshaft position sensor?

This is getting wierder.
Post #654765 4th Oct 2017 9:45am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Yes the Dials fall to zero, everything off, including engine

revs, speed, fuel all drop down

Thanks

Last edited by Stacey007 on 4th Oct 2017 9:51am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #654768 4th Oct 2017 9:47am
Martin
Site Admin

As in my earlier post, there is no "main relay" really - it's a misnomer.

Most of the ignition circuits are directly switched by the ignition switch.

What is referred to as the "main relay" is the one which the ECU controls to provide power for itself and its sensors/actuators/etc. A fault with relay this would mean the engine would switch off, but NOT the dash or any other ignition circuits. The rev counter would drop to zero, various warning lights would come on, but it would not go instantly blank as if the key had been turned off.

The dash trip not resetting means we can discount permanent 12V connection or earth connection issue to the dash cluster.

An engine ECU fault would not turn the whole dash off, the entire dash is not run by the ECU. Some of the functionality (oil pressure light, rev counter, etc) does come from the ECU, but the dash will happily operate without an engine ECU present (I've done this).  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #654769 4th Oct 2017 9:50am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Martin

Would you think the ignition switch is a good candidate for being faulty?

Thanks for clarification
Post #654772 4th Oct 2017 9:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>