Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
technophile

Australia 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
2006 Defender OBDII Readable Info
Hi all,

I hope this is on the right place.

So i understand that requirements for OBDII on diesel passenger vehicles didn't come into effect until 2005.

And all the Td5 variants have a small number of PID's available via OBD-II, with no appreciable difference between 1999 and 2004:

Mode 1
- Trouble codes and on board test information
- Calculated Load Value
- Engine RPM
- Vehicle Speed
- Absolute Throttle Sensor position

Mode 2
- Freeze frame trouble code

I would like to know if there are more PID's available on my 2006 Defender, and if so, what would they be.

The reason i ask is because i would like to get either a scangaugeII or a OBDII adapter to use with my iPad, so that i can use it as an EMS, to monitor EGT, coolant, Battery, revs etc.

Thanks
Post #221107 22nd Mar 2013 12:55pm
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Right then.... I'll have a go at making myself look a right t1t and then somebody with the necessary expertise will no doubt be along to correct my useless ramblings Bow down I have a 2005 Td5, so am basing my observations on my experience with that, rather than coming from some position of great EMS/diagnostic knowledge...

First things first... in my experience at least, on a 2005 Td5, a 'generic' OBDII bit of kit will not work. I wanted a Scangauge. Was told by a Mr Scanguage distributor that it wouldn't work on a Td5 as they used some form of LR 'bespoke' comms.... no idea what it is... perhaps the dark side of the force but clearly... I knew better, so I bought myself an ebay special OBDII cheapo connector for my laptop together with necessary software to prove this mad fool wrong and guess what..... didn't work .... DOH!

In the end I bit the bullet and bought a Td5 unlocked Nanocom Evo to give me fault code read/erase along with the ability to tinker with the ABS, the 10AS alarm system, upload fuel maps, test various outputs and obtain real time diagnostic info. Most of the options on the Nanocom scare me Censored so I don't touch them. In terms of real time info, I can obtain the following from the ECU via the Nanocom

Engine speed (rpm)
Idle speed error
Road speed
battery voltage
2/3 way throttle pedal position voltage
throttle pedal supply voltage
Coolant temp
Fuel Temp
Air inlet temp
MAF sensor readings
Ambient pressure
Manifold turbo pressure
EGR modulator percentage
EGR inlet percentage
Cylinder balance - injector tolerance

So that's what I can get from a 2005 ECU with a Nanocom.... You may be able to get far more info from the ECU with other bits off kit but I'm afraid above is all I can help with.....

Hope this is a start at least or sparks a more useful debate Thumbs Up

[Added on edit : My EGR has been removed/blanked off, so obviously I get no readings on those elements] Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #221258 22nd Mar 2013 9:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1