↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Removing an lt230 from my td5 90 for a ratio change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Removing an lt230 from my td5 90 for a ratio change
Hello all, im looking to change the ratio of my lt230 to the same as the disco box.

I will be working on the drive and have 1 assistant, 2 trolley jacks and axle stands at my disposal, how hard is it to remove it from underneath the car?

I have searched around for tutorials but unfortately most have been around for too long to still have images available. I have read that i'll need to remove a floor panel or the hatch under the middle seat to undo the linkages before i can go ahead and drop it and i will remove the handbrake etc to try and make it lighter.

Any tips and advice from anyone who has experience doing it? And also any tips on the ratio change would be handy.

Thanks
Post #647269 30th Aug 2017 9:00pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Engine crane in front door suitable jacks and chocks underneath preferably two people disconnect hand brake cable ,I would take it to Ashcroft as you have to press on new bearings
Post #647275 30th Aug 2017 9:16pm
LandymanStefan

Of course I would love to take it to Ashcroft and have them do it all but I can't justify the price for a job I know I'm capable of. I do have access to a hydraulic press at the local garage for the pressing of the bearings. As for a crane unfortunately don't have one, my father and I normally use the winch attached to my fathers garage ceiling but my landy is too tall to get in the garage door Sad Hence why I any advice and tips for doing it under the vehicle which I have read is possible.
Post #647323 31st Aug 2017 6:58am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Support from the top makes it much easier to balance, as the trasfer box has an odd shape and is a bit heavy.

I have a roll cage and used a ratchet strap around that and through the door opening and another ratchet strap to that to lift the transfer box. That way I did it alone without help.

my 90 td5

Click image to enlarge
 Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #647327 31st Aug 2017 7:29am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Unbolt the roof and roll it into the garage? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #647329 31st Aug 2017 7:31am
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
You can do it from underneath, disconnect the linkages, hand brake and props, support the gearbox and transfer box, remove the t-box mount, remove 6 bolts connecting the boxes and remove the t-box. That makes it sound easy but it's a very heavy unit and you will be working in a confined space. I've done the job on my own before but it's really a 2 man job, just be careful.
Post #647331 31st Aug 2017 7:33am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There is a special tool (part number 100-045) which helps when removing the transfer box with a jack, which is a wedge-shaped adaptor that bolts to the bottom cover of the t-box to give a flat level surface to jack on. The special tool is expensive for what it is, and the first time I removed the t-box I used a strong piece of flat wood of a suitable size with a block screwed at one end to make an equivalent. If you do this you can get the jack directly under the COG of the box and the job becomes a doddle.

The t-box isn't excessively heavy - one person can carry it about without difficulty - but it is heavy enough to change your life permanently if it falls on you when removing or refitting, so do be careful.

However, it isn't a difficult job to do from underneath, even on your own.

Here is a link to the official special tool: https://jlrequipment.service-solutions.com...KU=100-045

The illustration gives a very clear indication of what it does.
Post #647337 31st Aug 2017 8:03am
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
I bought a 35 quid jack adapter from eBay and used timber spacers to get it to support the tbox. It's an easy job from underneath. Drain the oil first! Remove the centre panel of the seatbox for access and light. Ensure you pull it off straight backwards and don't damage the oil seal by catching it on the gearbox output shaft. Ensure you Mark the propshaft and flanges. You'll need to support the gearbox as well whilst it is off. V8 90...WIP
Post #647347 31st Aug 2017 8:58am
LandymanStefan

Click image to enlarge

Thanks for the replies, I will take all your advice into account. I have found the technical drawings for making that tool lrt-99-010 yourself which I think may be worth while to make it easier. I will be calling a couple of steel suppliers up Monday to see how much some steel plate would cost. It might even be worthwhile buying the tool for the £69 it's listed for an re sell it on here once I'm done...
Post #647768 2nd Sep 2017 2:58pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Be aware that it is not easy buying JLR special tools from the official supplier (Bosch) unless you have a trade account.

I had to set up an account in order to do so.
Post #647802 2nd Sep 2017 5:02pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
my mate did his disco one last week by lowering it down onto his chest. 🤤🤤🤤
he then lifted and put the new one in on his own. 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #647849 2nd Sep 2017 8:50pm
Litch

England 
Did mine from underneath just a few weeks ago when I changed from 1.2 to 1.4 and it was no problem.
I had the transfer-box off last year when I changed from R380 to auto (300TDi Ashcroft kit) and did it the conventional way using my engine crane through the drivers-door but this time decided that I wanted to disturb the interior as little as possible so decided to do it from underneath.

I made up a simple wooden frame to support the transfer-box and this sat on top of my 3T trolley jack, the only panel I removed was the tunnel to get access to the linkages. I sat the vehicle on axle-stands to give me a few extra inches as I would be working mainly underneath.
Remove props & handbrake (X-eng disc in this case), speedo-cable, linkages, drain oil, undo the single mounting and bolts that fit Tbox to Gbox. Support the Tbox using the frame, gently pull back to separate, lower jack and manoeuvre out from under the vehicle.
Refitting is simply the reverse of removal, the frame sits the Tbox at the correct angle so as soon as you have the height right then they will just slide together (I did use a couple of un-threaded bolts as guides, I didn't really need them but had them to hand from last time so on they went). Bolt everything up, fill with oil and job done.

All in all a simple 1-person job which will be done in time for tea. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #648001 3rd Sep 2017 4:03pm
LandymanStefan

Bingo... Made a mount that I'll picture later and the rest is as you all mentioned above! Ordered my new gear set and a few other bits ready for the rest of the job! Will keep you all posted. Smile All in all it came off fairly easily. I will add I did remove my exhaust and front crossmember for a bit of extra room to move about under there.

Click image to enlarge
Post #649672 11th Sep 2017 8:08pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
I made up an adaptor for my trolley jack, it replaces the cup on the top of the jack and bolts to the transfer box in 4 places. I've done it in the past without making one up and managed OK but taking the time to make up a bracket saved a LOT of stress and strain.

If you get some M10 threaded bar it can make it easier to locate the box when replacing it. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #649678 11th Sep 2017 8:21pm
Litch

England 
"If you get some M10 threaded bar it can make it easier to locate the box when replacing it."

Threaded bar is a faff as the case can drag on the threads, I used long shank bolts with the heads cut off and it slides along them without effort. ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #649954 12th Sep 2017 7:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>