↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Rotating tyres.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tony.g

Rotating tyres.
2005 Td5 110 CSW.
The manual advises not rotating tyres, yet one site I've come across recommends that 4x4 tyres should be rotated - both rear to the front and swapped over, and both front to the back swapped over.
They say this should be done particularly if the front treads are noticeably shallower than the rear (which they are on mine),
even allowing for the limited slip diff.
Any views on this?
Post #646327 25th Aug 2017 8:06pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Interested to take advice on this also. Seems sensible to make use of the spare to keep all treads similar depth. Other than either hassle or cost of rotating I can't think of a down side? James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #646335 25th Aug 2017 8:45pm
Dobby

I've done a lot of reading on this, after burning through tyres quite regularly on a Disco. It's a topic thas been discussed at length on other forums so there's plenty of good advice about.

IMHO now, if I may offer it, is that you're safe to rotate front to back, back,to front on the same side. But don't rotate side to side unless on the same axle. Obviously different sized tyres on the same axle 'could' cause additional diff strain, so swapping front to back to front means you'll always have the same sizes opposite each other. I also read somewhere that tyres can wear into their direction of rotation, so keeping them turning the same way reduces additional wear caused by turning them round.

At least the idea that on a 4x4 of any type, when replacing tyres it's best to do the whole axle at once. Which does reinforce the point above too, about opposite tyre size.
Post #646367 25th Aug 2017 10:57pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have run BFG mud tyres on several vehicles for many years and regularly rotate them diagonally to even up wear. Muds tend to wear rotationally and in my view it is important to reverse the direction of rotation to even up treadblock wear. Ideally do this frequently enough to ensure that the rotational wear (treadblock wedging) is not significant.

The only downside of this is that all four need replacing at the same time, but there are many upsides including the fact that all are always the same size, tyre life is maximised, and it reduces road noise.

I tend not to include the spare in the sequence and keep it just as a spare, it makes things much simpler.
Post #646377 25th Aug 2017 11:58pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Have owned Discos and 90s for 25 years as well as a couple of Freelanders and have always done tyre changes as follows - fronts wear down so move rear tyres to the front and put new tyres on the rear. Have never had problems doing this. Tyres have been various manufacturer spec Michelins & Goodyears, as well as quality branded all terrains such as BFG, General, etc. not done it with mud terrains as my winter set get taken off at the end of the shooting season & stored but are not marked so end up going back on whichever corner they happen to get put on if that make sense?
Post #646385 26th Aug 2017 6:41am
custom90

United Kingdom 
As Blackwolf suggests is what I will intend to do. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #646397 26th Aug 2017 10:56am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Had this for ages, although you dont see it very often.

Im convinced the tyre companies dont want you rotating tyres because it means they can sell more...just like the ones that want you, when buying new tyres, to put the new tyres on the rear and the older tyres on the front when getting new tyres. On one of our cars i did have an argument with the tyre guy who refused not to switch the new tyres with the old tyres without switching them...i pointed out i wanted the best tyres on the wheels that do all the drive, steering and breaking and promptly swtiched them myself when i got home. Mike
Post #646401 26th Aug 2017 11:24am
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ That behaviour annoys me so much when you get a self proclaimed "expert" who basically tries to tell you what to do and what is best.
When they don't know the first thing about a 4wd and should stick to Fiestas etc. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #646405 26th Aug 2017 11:43am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I wouldnt even trust them with fiestas!

i would rather them focus more on tightening the nuts and inflating the tyres properly than where i put my tyres on my car.

Its the bull they spout about why, when you clearly can show they know little more than the training on how to change a wheel Mike
Post #646414 26th Aug 2017 12:37pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I've had a wheel nut loose before, and they are over tightened sometimes.

Last year I had a fail on a tyre but otherwise clean sheet, I stupidly forgot the locking wheel nut key.
And apartently the tyre was a no go, but a rough visual brake examination with all the wheels still on was fine. Shocked

I leave. A piece of paper with the wheel nut key with the torque on but I swear they still don't bother.
And it's often just one wheel as well. Whistle

Why not ask for the key.. Rolling Eyes Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #646441 26th Aug 2017 4:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1