↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Calling caravan owners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
I have heard bad things about awnings ,the Swift come's with a awning so will try and put up with that for a time while we find what's the right size for us and then go for a air awning.Just how wide is your Elddis Mr Iggle ? I'm sure the Swift is 7'6" wide .
Post #648730 7th Sep 2017 7:34am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Legin, as for the "divorce in a bag" Rolling with laughter

A friend of mine and myself put together a humorous Health and safety notice for caravaners who put up awnings with there other half after spending an afternoon watching a couple put up and awing on a site.

It involved the use of safety helmets to prevent injury from falling roof poles, the working at height regs after the wife fell off a 2' high step, light weight mallets after both hit fingers and other body parts while knocking in pegs and enforced breaks after 5 minutes each in there own space to prevent anger build ups Oh and the best was "must be erected in silence or each party must erect the awning without the use of swear words" Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #648748 7th Sep 2017 9:57am
Iggle piggle

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Alpine White
legin wrote:
I have heard bad things about awnings ,the Swift come's with a awning so will try and put up with that for a time while we find what's the right size for us and then go for a air awning.Just how wide is your Elddis Mr Iggle ? I'm sure the Swift is 7'6" wide .

8ft wide which isn't too much of an issue, 44ft (behind the Ranger) can be more challenging! Shocked
Post #648846 7th Sep 2017 8:00pm
Iggle piggle

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Alpine White
ARC99 wrote:

A friend of mine and myself put together a humorous Health and safety notice for caravaners who put up awnings with there other half after spending an afternoon watching a couple put up and awing on a site.

It involved the use of safety helmets to prevent injury from falling roof poles, the working at height regs after the wife fell off a 2' high step, light weight mallets after both hit fingers and other body parts while knocking in pegs and enforced breaks after 5 minutes each in there own space to prevent anger build ups Oh and the best was "must be erected in silence or each party must erect the awning without the use of swear words"

Rolling with laughter definitely a spectator sport! Preferably when your all set up with a glass in hand!
My wife rarely swears but even I heard words I've never heard before! Never mind the kids!! Whistle
Post #648852 7th Sep 2017 8:06pm
ARC99

Iggle piggle wrote:
legin wrote:

8ft wide which isn't too much of an issue, 44ft (behind the Ranger) can be more challenging! Shocked

S.H.M.B.O. had one of those warning signs that HGV'S have warning of the length made up for our old van as we were sick of being carved up by drivers not leaving enough room when overtaking. We still get the same happening now I will have to get the tape out and measure the full length of the current out fit it must be getting close to your 44 feet. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #648866 7th Sep 2017 8:28pm
ARC99

Iggle piggle wrote:
ARC99 wrote:

It involved the use of safety helmets to prevent injury from falling roof poles, the working at height regs after the wife fell off a 2' high step, light weight mallets after both hit fingers and other body parts while knocking in pegs and enforced breaks after 5 minutes each in there own space to prevent anger build ups Oh and the best was "must be erected in silence or each party must erect the awning without the use of swear words"

Rolling with laughter definitely a spectator sport! Preferably when your all set up with a glass in hand!
My wife rarely swears but even I heard words I've never heard before! Never mind the kids!! Whistle

My mate was a Health and safety officer. We posted the notice on the notice board of the C.L. It was a source of conversation in the village pub for sometime. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #648868 7th Sep 2017 8:30pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
ARC99 wrote:
S.H.M.B.O. had one of those warning signs that HGV'S have warning of the length made up for our old van as we were sick of being carved up by drivers not leaving enough room when overtaking. We still get the same happening now I will have to get the tape out and measure the full length of the current out fit it must be getting close to your 44 feet.

If you mean the "Long Vehicle" or striped markings, I think you'll find that it is actually illegal to display them unless it is (a) a goods vehicle, (b) greater than 7.5t MAM and (c) more than 11m long (14m for the "Long Vehicle" sign).
Post #648919 7th Sep 2017 11:23pm
legin

Well I'm picking the Swift up on Wednesday am and have our first ever night under alloy so by Wednesday pm I'll be warm and comfy or DIVORCED !
Post #649068 8th Sep 2017 9:38pm
legin

Well we went to Scotland and got it

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It took us two nights to come home and we loved it.As it was our first nights in a caravan in both our life's ,I though thanks to all you lot I would leave the awning in it's bag Wink
Post #650727 16th Sep 2017 10:16pm
ARC99

blackwolf wrote:
ARC99 wrote:
S.H.M.B.O. had one of those warning signs that HGV'S have warning of the length made up for our old van as we were sick of being carved up by drivers not leaving enough room when overtaking. We still get the same happening now I will have to get the tape out and measure the full length of the current out fit it must be getting close to your 44 feet.

If you mean the "Long Vehicle" or striped markings, I think you'll find that it is actually illegal to display them unless it is (a) a goods vehicle, (b) greater than 7.5t MAM and (c) more than 11m long (14m for the "Long Vehicle" sign).

Due to my previous employment from which I retired I am aware of the requirements under the Act, those are requirements when a sign must be displayed ,it was made specially made sign and only affixed after I consulted the appropriate departments. No objections were raised even when stopped at a roadside VOSA inspection that I was directed into by a rather green P.C. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #650769 17th Sep 2017 11:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123