↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Windows Screen Brackets Corrosion - How Long To Fix?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Windows Screen Brackets Corrosion - How Long To Fix?
My defender is suffering from the usual window brackets corrosion plus on the window screen surround.

The dealer has had the car for 2 weeks. Just been told they may need it for up to another 3 weeks.

Whats's the usual fix (dealer said roof comes off) and how long does it usually take? I know it's taking the mick but just wanted to know how much of the mick they were taking.
Post #646064 24th Aug 2017 12:57pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
The brackets are a speedy DIY job. Just unbolt and swap.

As for the screen, no idea, but can't believe it's more than a day's job...

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic51785....n+surround
http://www.defender2.net/forum/post344818.html
http://forum.lro.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=61755 Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #646069 24th Aug 2017 1:13pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Hi Sockpuupet,

I can't answer your question directly about how long it takes, but my 65 plate 110 Adventure edition, is already doing the same. Near side window block is shedding paint badly, and I also have corrosion starting at the bottom of windscreen surround (drivers side). Totally crap for an 18 month old vehicle. I'll be interested to see how you get on, and how you rate the repair when it's down.

I only live in Ashby de la Zouch, and work in Leicester, so would love to see the results in the flesh, if that's possible. I'm happy to come over in my 110, and compare corrosion,

Cheers for now

Andy

Quick further question, how old is your Defender ?
Post #646070 24th Aug 2017 1:18pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Yes more than happy to have you over. It's a 63 plate. The only reason it's going to the dealer is that it's being covered under the warranty.

I told them about this a year ago and had to chase a lot to get them to accept it so I'd start now if I was you.
Post #646082 24th Aug 2017 2:48pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
For what it is worth, I would try and go and see the vehicle before you let them have it any longer. Also, try and see it after its been painted and BEFORE its been put back together.

The reason, Mine went in for the same. It took 5 weeks! Only found out later that the job hadn't been started until week 3. I got the vehicle back thinking all was ok. Then spent 6 months with a really bad cough and feeling unwell. Noticed hinges, door blocks and window surround were starting to bubble only now it was all out of warranty. Had an issue with wipers seized so stripped the dash out only to find that the wiper cables were solid with sanded paint and filler, the vents also had sanded paint and filler in them and basically every other nook and cranny behind the dash was covered in sanded paint and filler. Took me ages to clean and wipe it all down, but I finally found the reason why I was feeling unwell and that the inside of the Defender was constantly covered in fine dust.

Bear in mind that just because it should be covered in warranty, JLR will only be contributing X amount to dealer who will then in turn pay as little as they can to whatever bodyshop to do the work. It felt good at the time getting it done under warranty, but Ive now got to do it all over again although this time it will be done right and I won't have to live with the cr.p the dealer caused. Plus at least now I won't have to have endless arguments with some numpty behind a desk denying everything!!! Rant Over...
Post #646089 24th Aug 2017 4:01pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You don't have to remove the roof to remove the windscreen surround, you merely have to loosen the roff enough to lift the fron an inch or so. I reckon that I could have the windscreen surround off a 110 with any style of body in well under an hour, and around the same to refit. The job would require two people for a few minutes now and again, otherwise just one.
Post #646090 24th Aug 2017 4:03pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Took two of us an afternoon to replace the windscreen surround and that was with lots of tea breaks and time spent looking for tools that I had put down and then could not find them, with the usual, I can’t understand it had it my hand the other minute.

I have noticed with some dealerships that they carry out warranty work on add hock basis when a mechanic has a few spare minutes between other jobs, on that basis it can take weeks to do a few hours work. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #646109 24th Aug 2017 6:39pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Thanks all. At least I have a nice Disco to cruise around in and it's savings miles from my own cars Laughing

I suspect it's more they haven't started it yet rather than they are taking a while to do it.
Post #646127 24th Aug 2017 7:37pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Re: Windows Screen Brackets Corrosion - How Long To Fix?
Sockpuppet wrote:
My defender is suffering from the usual window brackets corrosion plus on the window screen surround.

The dealer has had the car for 2 weeks. Just been told they may need it for up to another 3 weeks.

Whats's the usual fix (dealer said roof comes off) and how long does it usually take? I know it's taking the mick but just wanted to know how much of the mick they were taking.

10 weeks they had ours Mike
Post #646150 24th Aug 2017 8:55pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Wow. Shocked

If that happens all holy hell will be kicked off at the dealership.
Post #646151 24th Aug 2017 8:56pm
Browjam

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
After the 2-3 months trying to get the JLR head office to authorize the warranty work for this very problem Stratstone Aylesbury only took 3 days
Post #646223 25th Aug 2017 9:22am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
2 days for mine. Less than 6 months later corrosion is back. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #646225 25th Aug 2017 9:40am
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I decided that since the dealerships are so variable and the result is so often disappointing, to simply replace those window blocks with decent after-market ones, in my case Croytec ones in black to match the roof. They'll never corrode again.

Overall, it cost me less in time, effort, frustration, disappointment and diesel than making a warranty claim.

Sad isn't it? Best vehicle in the world - we love them to bits, and yet the dealerships and JLR don't really care.

Our 110, lovingly called Gracie, will never visit a main dealer ever again if we can help it. Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #646229 25th Aug 2017 10:08am
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Yep it's a shame. If it was just the brackets I'd have done it myself with some paint and sprayed at home.

The fact it was removing/loosening the roof I just don't have time for at the moment it took me 4 weeks to get around the doing the discs and pads - they did say they were just going to replace the window surround and paint to suit.

We will see, worst case they do a shift job I'll just have to get it done again somewhere else.
Post #646231 25th Aug 2017 10:11am
Browjam

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
I was told that there was no need to remove the roof. I also asked them to see if they could source the leak that deposits small lakes into the footwell......... still leaked but by regular application of Dt Tolley's Creeping Crack Remedy along the window seal this seems to be reducing the ingress !
Post #646235 25th Aug 2017 10:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>