↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > 90 CSW Camper/Overlander Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Raddy

Guernsey 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Rimini Red
90 CSW Camper/Overlander Advice
We've been thinking about this for a while but have decided to take the plunge and start preparing my 90 as a camper/over lander to do some exploring and festivals next year.

Obviously the 90 isn't ideal for this due to size but with only two of us and a roof tent/decent awning I don't think it should be an issue. The rear seats have been removed and I have made a couple of wooden benches so far to make use of the space.

I just wondered if many of you had done this before, if there's any 'must do' upgrades and if there was a particularly good large awning compatible roof tents to go for (have looked at howling moon and also the tuff trek roof tent/wing awning combo)

Cheers!
Post #644651 17th Aug 2017 11:45am
R1200GS

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Been doing the same myself over the past couple of months and currently my
first choice is Howling Moon stargazer with a Foxwing Eco 2.1 awning on a Flatdog
rack,

I keep looking at James Baroud hardtop tents though...... Mr. Green
Post #644653 17th Aug 2017 12:00pm
roliver

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Tamar Blue
I'm looking at turning my 90 into an overland-capable vehicle too:

Does anyone have any experience with the Tuff-Trek tents and awnings? I can't see how it works, but it looks like their 270 awning integrates into the roof tent somehow?

From their website:

Click image to enlarge

My vehicle:

Click image to enlarge
Post #644666 17th Aug 2017 1:31pm
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I converted my 90 into an overlander a couple of years ago,after building a 110 specificaly for overland.
There were a couple of times the 110 just felt a bit too big,plus,only being 2 of us,I decided to sell the 110 & convert my 90,which at the time was my challenge truck.
I'd had a Maggiolina on the 110,the only down side to which was having to wind it up and down,so,I went for a James Barroud.
Definately the best RTT I have ever used.
Quick to put up and down.I have used it in all weathers from +38 degrees to -5,the last trip to Corsica we had storm force winds & the tent never budged. Thumbs Up
I have stored the ladder in the roof of the 90.
I paired it up with a full size Foxwing,& the combo works a treat.
IMO,anything that is a faff to put up you wont use simply because it's too much trouble.The Foxwing id deployed in no more than 5 mins.
I fabbed up a big drawer in the floor at the back,but leaving enough room at either side for storace of a folding table at one side,& a 5 compartment bottle rack at the other.
On top of the wheel arches I have a full legnth open box on the left housing 2 folding chairs the Foxwing extensions & the gas bottle.
2 burner stove with grill is on the back door.
On the right wheel arch I have built a 3 tier storage system housing heavy stuff on the bottom shelf,aux battry,compressor for air lockers & tire inflation,2nd shelf with see through containers for foodstufs,& top shelf for cloths,boots,towels etc.
This is fronted with an easy to operate rigid plastic roller shutter.
LED lights & electrical socket outlet for the ARB fridge.
Marc.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #644703 17th Aug 2017 4:21pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Barbara and I have travelled widely and normally use a 110 for our longer trips

It is possible to use a 90 as a overland vehicle but there are a few things to remember one of the main thing is weight, keep the vehicle as light as possible and as low as possible.

A roof rack with a hardshell rooftent on a 90 is a waste. A hardshell rooftent is typically 2.1 x 1.3m whereas the typical 90 rack is 2.0m x 1.4 m so there is no free space on the rack. Much better on weight and price front to use 2 or 3 roof bars. Even with a folding tent by the time you have allowed for space to put the tent away you will have little spare space left on the rack.

For hard shell rooftents on gas struts look at the Autohome, Airtop or Columbus range.

For soft shell/folding tents have a good look at the Roof Lodge tents, complete with roof windows and is the only range of rooftents that I know comes with anti condensation mat under the mattress as standard.

For extra fuel a wing tank is preferable to jerrycans.

We will be displaying at Peterborough show and hopefully will have some new items for overland vehicles (sadly mainly for 110)

Brendan
Post #644785 17th Aug 2017 10:53pm
Raddy

Cheers Guys, information much appreciated!

Don't think we'll be going too far off grid at first so I'm thinking additional fuel/water etc can probably wait but definitely worth thinking about, seen some cool ideas around. Maybe worth looking at leisure batteries/solar panels as that could be useful.

Defiantly keen to try and intergrate the roof tent/awning space with sides if possible as 'Roliver' mentioned above so that's something to look into too I think as space is a premium.
Post #644842 18th Aug 2017 10:29am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
roliver wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the Tuff-Trek tents and awnings? I can't see how it works, but it looks like their 270 awning integrates into the roof tent somehow?

From their website:

Click image to enlarge

I was looking a the same yesterday and it seems that this is a light weight version of the fox wing and is a good price with al the sides included.
I believe that the roof tent isn’t incorporated into the awing, just fits to the back of it so you access the top tent from the far side.
Looking at a pop top roof for our 110 next year after I have saved enough pennies!! Whistle Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #644849 18th Aug 2017 11:34am
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
It is surprising how much you can fit in a 90 if you pack smart, Me and my mate managed 6 weeks in Kenya in a 90 acting as VM cover 3/4 of our load was tools/spares etc. Depending how much comfort you want to take with you will massively impact what you carry, we each only have a bergen (120l)ish and finished with some kit unused.

When me and Swmbo take the 90 camping however it's a different story as she likes her comforts but again it all fits well if you plan how to pack and use comman sense storing items in order of necessity, we have a 9x9 tent for camping which works for us as we can have access to the rear of the 90 when in the tent. 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #644864 18th Aug 2017 12:59pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Why do you need a roof tent ?
A ground tent is much better value for money, lighter and won't affect your CoG like a roof tent will.
I realise it doesn't look quite so ''Overland'' but lions are unlikely to be a threat at Billing or the South of France.
HTH
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #644878 18th Aug 2017 2:38pm
Raddy

Roof tent is mainly just for ease of use - if we're moving location every day or two or camping out in the sticks it seems like a quicker/easier option than having to pitch and then pack our regular ground tent.

Partly I just like the idea of the stargazer type roof tent and being up high with living space below, plus it would be up away from bears and wolves as we want to head up north to Scandinavia too but I'm sure they'd get to you if they wanted to!
Post #644893 18th Aug 2017 5:12pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
We travelled for 5 months around Australia in 2014 in our 90 with HM roof tent.

We have a blog http://landytravels.com/ which gives loads of info about the build, kit, etc and then the trip of course (latest posts are what we have been working on since, as things changed when we got 2 dogs! But see the early posts from Dec 2011 onwards )

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #648338 4th Sep 2017 10:57pm
Coatesyyy

United Kingdom 
sharkey964 wrote:
I converted my 90 into an overlander a couple of years ago,after building a 110 specificaly for overland.
There were a couple of times the 110 just felt a bit too big,plus,only being 2 of us,I decided to sell the 110 & convert my 90,which at the time was my challenge truck.
I'd had a Maggiolina on the 110,the only down side to which was having to wind it up and down,so,I went for a James Barroud.
Definately the best RTT I have ever used.
Quick to put up and down.I have used it in all weathers from +38 degrees to -5,the last trip to Corsica we had storm force winds & the tent never budged. Thumbs Up
I have stored the ladder in the roof of the 90.
I paired it up with a full size Foxwing,& the combo works a treat.
IMO,anything that is a faff to put up you wont use simply because it's too much trouble.The Foxwing id deployed in no more than 5 mins.
I fabbed up a big drawer in the floor at the back,but leaving enough room at either side for storace of a folding table at one side,& a 5 compartment bottle rack at the other.
On top of the wheel arches I have a full legnth open box on the left housing 2 folding chairs the Foxwing extensions & the gas bottle.
2 burner stove with grill is on the back door.
On the right wheel arch I have built a 3 tier storage system housing heavy stuff on the bottom shelf,aux battry,compressor for air lockers & tire inflation,2nd shelf with see through containers for foodstufs,& top shelf for cloths,boots,towels etc.
This is fronted with an easy to operate rigid plastic roller shutter.
LED lights & electrical socket outlet for the ARB fridge.
Marc.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now that's a brilliant set up! Thumbs Up
Post #653671 29th Sep 2017 4:54pm
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thanks Coatsey. Thumbs Up

Marc.
She looks a bit smarter now,after a coat or 2 of Raptor.
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic57091.html
Post #653678 29th Sep 2017 5:37pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
wyvern wrote:
roliver wrote:

From their website:

Click image to enlarge

I was looking a the same yesterday and it seems that this is a light weight version of the fox wing and is a good price with al the sides included.
I believe that the roof tent isn’t incorporated into the awing, just fits to the back of it so you access the top tent from the far side.
Looking at a pop top roof for our 110 next year after I have saved enough pennies!! Whistle

Bought this awning at Peterbourgh and its very good, well made and easy to put up, as long as you follow the procedure.
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #653689 29th Sep 2017 6:40pm
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
if an extended roof rack is an option on a 90, then go for a James Baroud or Maggiolina. I had a Hannibal tent which was fine in hot weather but flaps in the wind and is not suited to Brecon in the winter. I love my maggiolina. 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #654302 2nd Oct 2017 10:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1