↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Puma Instrument Cluster Change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Uss

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Sumatra Black
Puma Instrument Cluster Change
Hi, I am new to the forum and was wondering if someone has had a similar issue & a solution.

The odometer display on my cluster has faded out so I bought a new cluster. When the LR workshop tried to program it after the install it went through the whole process but wouldn't let it start so they put back the old one till a solution is found. The workshop uses SDD 150.4 software.

The part that needs to be replaced is Instrument Cluster/Clocks: YAC 502810 PUY. The new part which was not being programmed is FH 1210849BB. I have attached a photo of both with part labels which may be able to offer more details & information. A solution will be much appreciated Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #644414 16th Aug 2017 1:30pm
annette

Costa Rica 
How did they do it?
I wonder HOW they ry to reprogram it.
It is usually not a problem..

Are they using a diagnostic that is uo to it? Like GAP, Blackbox etc? Fixing Land Rovers in rural Guanacaste
Post #670400 11th Dec 2017 10:14pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
The cluster is synchronised with the 10AS unit, something only Land Rover can do
Post #670443 12th Dec 2017 8:04am
annette

Costa Rica 
1 the information is NOT stored in a Lucas 10 AS which are by the way a piece of cake to reprogram.

2 ¿¿ only Land Rover ??
The only technical bits they do is making ridiculously high quotes.

3 yes my IID TOOL does this and more . Blackbox does, too. Fixing Land Rovers in rural Guanacaste
Post #670503 12th Dec 2017 2:07pm
bpman

I bow to your superior knowledge

When I imported my defender and tried to get a new cluster installed I was told only land rover can do it because the mileage/kilometers needed to be transferred and just popping a new cluster in would not work.
I ended up just swapping the decals to mph
Post #670506 12th Dec 2017 2:20pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Might be worth speaking to Dan Padmore at Defender Electronics on Facebook, seems a bit of a whizz with this sort of thing. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #670510 12th Dec 2017 2:39pm
proloFort

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I have a KM cluster which I want to put into my defender. When we tried there was not start, I knew this would be the case so took to Land Rover dealer. They tried for 30mn to transfer data from the old to new but could not. The Land Rover software just stalled. Still have the MPH one for now.
Post #670559 12th Dec 2017 6:44pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
“When I imported my defender… I ended up just swapping the decals to mph”. Only legal if the instrument illumination shines THROUGH the decal, sticking numbers over the existing ones doesn’t count. I found that out the hard way.

As for re-programming, this time round I ordered from the Norwich Main Dealer a Puma in LHD, it came with KPH only speedo and LHD dipping headlights (reversing and fog lamps wrong side for the UK too). Free of charge lamp changeover no problem, instruments too, BUT my truck was in the workshop for three days before the dealer could get the speedo to function correctly. So although it’s not easy, it can be done and your dealer should liaise with JLR.

Peter
Post #670681 13th Dec 2017 1:45pm
bpman

^^ exactly what I experienced, but if you take the dash unit apart you can simply swap the plastic decal over (I had kph only, bought a second hand UK mph unit and took the mph/kph decal out)

The fog and reverse are easily swapped, under the bonnet at the top of the tunnel there are 2multi plugs, grey and black, I can’t remember which one but I swapped the fog And reverse wires over in the connector and swapped the lenses over
Post #672151 20th Dec 2017 12:00am
annette

Costa Rica 
Just FYI
The instrument cluster also does the translation between 100AS and the engine ECU.
The engine ECU is on the CAN bus the 10 AS isn't.
Hence I recommend to leave the speedo alone.
Just transfer the odometer display
Otherwise you have to do a new security learn!

Ps
Can't see why one would change kms to miles myself
All spare km units please pm me. Fixing Land Rovers in rural Guanacaste
Post #673243 25th Dec 2017 6:04am
bpman

^^ Rolling with laughter What’s a 100AS?

- UK cluster decals have MPH and KPH - but ROW have kph only (where appropriate)
Post #673257 25th Dec 2017 9:22am
annette

Costa Rica 
proloFor�t wrote:
I have a KM cluster which I want to put into my defender. When we tried there was not start, I knew this would be the case so took to Land Rover dealer. They tried for 30mn to transfer data from the old to new but could not. The Land Rover software just stalled. Still have the MPH one for now.

Don't take it to Land Rover.. take it to a woman or man who wants tp do the job.
a French Land Rover concessionaire used to send BECM problems to me.. under the condition that I told nobody that I repaired it for them.

Whistle Whistle

so.. go and ask in Landmania or Landroverfaq Fixing Land Rovers in rural Guanacaste
Post #681357 24th Jan 2018 4:36pm
Terravecchia

Italy 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Re: Puma Instrument Cluster Change
Uss wrote:
Hi, I am new to the forum and was wondering if someone has had a similar issue & a solution.

The odometer display on my cluster has faded out so I bought a new cluster. When the LR workshop tried to program it after the install it went through the whole process but wouldn't let it start so they put back the old one till a solution is found. The workshop uses SDD 150.4 software.

The part that needs to be replaced is Instrument Cluster/Clocks: YAC 502810 PUY. The new part which was not being programmed is FH 1210849BB. I have attached a photo of both with part labels which may be able to offer more details & information. A solution will be much appreciated Smile

Click image to enlarge

Hi, Just wondering if you solved your problem - My issue is that I have changed ECUs in my 2.4TDCI. At first it would not start due the Cluster preventing it, but after bridging two wires I got it started, the only problem is that my Nanocom tells me that it can find the VIN number and then stops, I can't proceed. Is there a way to get the Vin from the ECU back onto the custer? or change the VIN on the ECU? If anyone knows please let me know.
Post #980760 1st Feb 2023 4:51am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
If the replacement cluster is used then you basically cannot get away with it. Otherwise only a fully licensed SDD will be able to write the VIN into the cluster + the synchro with the immo. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #980789 1st Feb 2023 11:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1