Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rough idle and no throttle response
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DaftOldGit

United Kingdom 
Rough idle and no throttle response
I have a 2007 2.4 TDCi

It starts first time and runs great in all conditions until, and this is only intermittently, I stop at a junction and the engine is idling, the idling changes to very rough and the throttle has no effect at all. No warning lights come on, it just ticks over really rough as if its only running on two cylinders.

I turn off the ignition (and the engine stops as it should) then restart the engine first time and the throttle response is normal and all seems fine and i can drive away as normal.

This might happen several times when im driving in traffic, but then it might be fine for a couple of days.
It can happen when it's cold but other times it's been fine all day and plays up just as i get home. Long journeys or short journeys make no difference. It seems completely random.

I had a very similar issue about a year ago and cleaning and remaking the earth connection from the ECU appeared to cure the problem. I've done this again now but no change this time.

It seems clear that it must be an electrical or ECU issue. If it was an alternator problem (causing low power to the ECU) then i would expect the Battery light to come on. Presumably the next step is to swap out the ECU.

Any thoughts anyone?
Post #634868 1st Jul 2017 10:44am
custom90

United Kingdom 
EGR getting stuck open possibly, if it's intermittent it doesn't be always trigger the MIL.

When was MAP and MAF sensors last cleaned? If you can rules these out you can proceed from there. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #634871 1st Jul 2017 11:03am
DaftOldGit

United Kingdom 
Thanks Steve

Ive just got an Ultraguage, so i can monitor all different readings, although ive no idea what they mean!

What is the normal operation of the EGR valve? I've just been out for ten minute drive to see what it tells me. When i'm driving the guage shows varying EGR% flow between 0% and 65%. When im stationary it reads around 98% and after about a minute it gradually drops to around 20%.
The motor behaved fine this time but i'll keep the guage plugged in to see what it reads when the motor is playing up.

The Ultraguage has two Mass Airflow guages: MA1 g/s and MA2 g/s. These both vary around 8-15 is that normal?

The MAF sensor was replaced about a year ago, ive done about 10 000 miles since then. I have a spare one that i could put in. I don't know what a MAP sensor is. What is it and how do I clean it?
Post #634881 1st Jul 2017 12:25pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
EGR should stay fully closed at idle and when the engine is cold. It should only open when you're cruising with a warm engine. If it gets stuck open it'll be choking the engine with fumes which will upset the idle.

But it could also be a blown pressure relief valve on the fuel rail or a worn VCV on the pump. Neither give a fault.
Post #634895 1st Jul 2017 3:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'm not sure about the parameters to be honest a bit out of my scope of knowledge.
Although many members on here will know, or a call to the main dealer you may get after a while some answers.

There is also the possibility of the VCV, however, in my opinion it's best to check the other things I suggested first as they are easier and generally cheaper fixes.

It's very easy to shell out for a perfectly working part and there is nothing wrong with it.

The MAP created a rough idle on mine, and your MAF sounds to me to be quite okay.
Ther EGR can cause rough idle but usually coupled with poor performance is that so?
Typically hesitation in acceleration.

The VCV does cause erratic idle also, and can be a real pain as it doesn't put up any MIL at all Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #634898 1st Jul 2017 3:22pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 
I would suggest the VCV (volume control valve) on the back of the injection pump too.
If you look at the high pressure readings when it's playing up, they vary when faulty. Also you can usually hear quite a diesel knock intermittently.
Be warned though, if it is the VCV valve, renewing it may not be the end of your problems, as one reason they fail is sticking because of contamination, so check the fuel filter, by draining. If it has water or debris in it. drain remove & clean the tank & renew the split tank vent hose(s) & reposition the breather behind the splash shield in the N/S rear wheel arch.

regards
Steve
Post #634900 1st Jul 2017 3:46pm
DaftOldGit

United Kingdom 
Thanks for your input.

The general performance seems fine normally, although it's never been particularly smooth when i first manoeuvre in the car park where i live.

I'll go out for a longer drive and keep an eye on the EGR readings and try to see whats going on.

Should it shut (0%) as soon as I stop and the engine is idling or is it normal to gradually close. Even then, mine doesn't fully close when i'm idling, it just drops to around 20% flow.

It does drop to 0% when I'm driving and I accelerate, so i guess that tells me that it's not stuck and it does fully operate.

What actually triggers the EGR? Could this be the pressure relief valve or the VCV that zsd-Puma mentioned? Is there some other attribute that I need to monitor to give more clues?
Post #634904 1st Jul 2017 4:00pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
the EGR is electronically operated by the ECU, depending on load, engine revs etc.

The PRV is just there to dump the fuel out of the fuel rail if the pressure goes too high, if the PRV fails though it intermittantly leaks fuel back into the tank, so the fuel pressure will fluctuate when it shouldn't.
Post #634978 1st Jul 2017 9:46pm
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
So what was the end result of all this. Was it the EGR or the VCV or something else? "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #638196 18th Jul 2017 9:58am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
zsd-puma wrote:
the EGR is electronically operated by the ECU, depending on load, engine revs etc.

The PRV is just there to dump the fuel out of the fuel rail if the pressure goes too high, if the PRV fails though it intermittantly leaks fuel back into the tank, so the fuel pressure will fluctuate when it shouldn't.

The pressure relief valve on the common rail is more of a safety valve than a relief valve, it is non-resettable and uses a ball bearing crimped into a seat designed to pop out at a certain pressure. Although it is possible for the valve to weep slightly without popping, once popped they are not resettable and normal operation is not possible - there will be consistent low fuel rail pressure, poor running (if running at all), as well as stored DTCs.
Post #638205 18th Jul 2017 10:34am
DaftOldGit

United Kingdom 
B4Lamb wrote:
So what was the end result of all this. Was it the EGR or the VCV or something else?

Frustratingly, the problem seems to have gone away again. So I'm none the wiser.
Post #638348 18th Jul 2017 11:06pm
B4Lamb

zsd-puma wrote:

The PRV is just there to dump the fuel out of the fuel rail if the pressure goes too high, if the PRV fails though it intermittantly leaks fuel back into the tanuk, so the fuel pressure will fluctuate when it shouldn't.

DO you know if the ECU controls the position of the EGR using pulse width modulation? "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #638358 19th Jul 2017 2:48am
B4Lamb

DaftOldGit wrote:
B4Lamb wrote:
So what was the end result of all this. Was it the EGR or the VCV or something else?

Frustratingly, the problem seems to have gone away again. So I'm none the wiser.

I'm sure it will come back just when you don't want it to! "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #638359 19th Jul 2017 2:50am
B4Lamb

If any of you have any EGR valves from 2.4 TDCi engines that stopped working I woukd love to get hold of them so I can build up a picture of what is the main failure mechanism. I've heard of drive pinions coming loose and in my case bad electrical contacts inside but I'm sure there are others. Most, like those I have identified I'm sure are repairable but maybe not cost effectively by a garage with their hourly charge rate. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #638360 19th Jul 2017 2:59am
DaftOldGit

United Kingdom 
Sure enough, it's started happening again.

Very intermittent. Always when idling. Sometimes when I first start the engine, sometimes when I've been driving all day and just stop at a junction.

I set the UltraGuage to monitor the fuel pressure.
At idle, it's generally around 2800-3400psi.
When it plays up and I have no throttle response, it's around 950-1100psi.

Sometimes the engine cuts out and sometimes it continues to idle (roughly) and doesn't respond to the throttle at all.
Usually I can restart the engine ok and all seems fine, but sometimes it's still the same and I have to restart a couple of times, but the it's fine for a few days.
Post #642084 5th Aug 2017 9:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>