↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 300tdi Underpowered?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Interlet

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
300tdi Underpowered?
I might update this on Friday with a no fault found, but I'm still confident that it's not quite right.
My 300 is a replacement disco engine, sourced from a good dealer with warranty, receipts and everything legit. The engine had done approx 140k miles... about 15k more than the rest of the my 110.

I've driven it for years and kind of knew what to expect from it, power-wise, on hills and everything.
Since this engine has been in, I've always felt it does not pull as well as the old one.

I've put injector cleaner through it, serviced it regularly, checked for fuel leaks, replaced injector seals. Replaced an exhaust manifold gasket. It doesn't use a large amount of oil or coolant. Fuel I haven't done a MPG check on it for some time.

I initially was suspecting compression...but a diesel would be a bitch to start with poor compression...and this lump starts literally instantly.

Apart from just adjusting the fuel pump etc, can anyone think of why this thing would not feel like it had as much oomph as the last one? 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #642844 9th Aug 2017 9:59pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
injectors and pump may need overhaul
Turbo not giving sufficient boost
exhaust partially blocked
intercooler / hoses blocked / collapsing
lift pump on its way out?

good luck
Keith
Post #642854 9th Aug 2017 10:16pm
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Should put a td5 in it 😂😱 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #642856 9th Aug 2017 10:23pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
EGR leaking? if you have one on, id bin that off straight away. I found that mine wasn't too keen to pull away, in 1st and 2nd gear. Until I binned the full EGR system off. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #642883 10th Aug 2017 5:50am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
as it should have had a cam belt replaced before you got it, is it correctly timed?
Post #642948 10th Aug 2017 1:02pm
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
1. Check the accelerator cable is giving full movement on injection pump 👍
2 check lift pump
My bet is someone's hacked cable off to get through MOT Have fun be happy
Post #642974 10th Aug 2017 4:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Interlet

Been a while since I got round to it.

I did the boost pin mod, and did that screw up half a turn on the back of the injector pump. Power-wise it's good, although it smokes some under acceleration now...however I have an EGT gauge and and an utterly knackered intercooler - I'm pretty sure it's the original IC, and the view of the fins from the front looks pretty grim.

So, I'll keep an eye on my EGT, try not to rag it too much, and save up for a new uprated intercooler.

I'm fairly confident that a duff IC will be the reason for some mild to moderate black smoke, so I'm tempted to leave it for the time being. 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #646100 24th Aug 2017 5:06pm
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
pj2106 wrote:
Should put a td5 in it 😂😱

...TD5 Neutral .....Cummins 5.9 Evil or Very Mad
Post #646161 24th Aug 2017 9:24pm
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
Interlet wrote:

I did the boost pin mod, and did that screw up half a turn on the back of the injector pump. Power-wise it's good, although it smokes some under acceleration now...however I have an EGT gauge and and an utterly knackered intercooler - I'm pretty sure it's the original IC, and the view of the fins from the front looks pretty grim.

So, I'll keep an eye on my EGT, try not to rag it too much, and save up for a new uprated intercooler.

I'm fairly confident that a duff IC will be the reason for some mild to moderate black smoke, so I'm tempted to leave it for the time being.

I messed with my 200TDI and could'nt get exciting power from it. Some seem better than other. The 300's seem a bit like it too..Some feel like that have a bit more to give than others.

EGT...I'm not sure if you can push them high enough to worry? I know people used to leave IC out when doing series conversions. I think they was about 20hp without.

Mine rolls coal nicely from low-mid range and a nice grey colour on max boost. Cool
Post #646162 24th Aug 2017 9:30pm
L110CDL

England 
Cant beat 'rollin coal ' Whistle 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #646169 24th Aug 2017 9:58pm
Interlet

LANDROVER wrote:
Interlet wrote:

I'm fairly confident that a duff IC will be the reason for some mild to moderate black smoke, so I'm tempted to leave it for the time being.

I messed with my 200TDI and could'nt get exciting power from it. Some seem better than other. The 300's seem a bit like it too..Some feel like that have a bit more to give than others.

EGT...I'm not sure if you can push them high enough to worry? I know people used to leave IC out when doing series conversions. I think they was about 20hp without.

Mine rolls coal nicely from low-mid range and a nice grey colour on max boost. Cool

I've heard quite a bit around various forums of people turning their pumps up and unknowingly cooking the engine, so I'm a bit cautious. I bought an EGT years ago with the aim of tweaking it a bit, but never got round to it.

My EGT before turning it up in this engine has never done much more than 580 which is somewhat low, but then I've been thinking it's gutless for quite some time. The original engine got up to around 630 on long climbs, and felt like it had more poke. After I turned it up a bit, EGT shot to 650 or so, with my foot not even on the floor. 1998 110 300Tdi White Hard Top
Post #646238 25th Aug 2017 10:38am
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
Interlet wrote:
I've heard quite a bit around various forums of people turning their pumps up and unknowingly cooking the engine, so I'm a bit cautious. I bought an EGT years ago with the aim of tweaking it a bit, but never got round to it.

My EGT before turning it up in this engine has never done much more than 580 which is somewhat low, but then I've been thinking it's gutless for quite some time. The original engine got up to around 630 on long climbs, and felt like it had more poke. After I turned it up a bit, EGT shot to 650 or so, with my foot not even on the floor.

Certainly worth checking EGT as it's easy to install on a 300. Like you say worth being careful and doing the job right if you have issues. Measuring boost and checking turbo condition.

A guy I know has messed quite a bit with TDI's for years and just adjust's the Diaphragm and Star wheel under the diaphragm. Also removes the Nylon spacer which affects fuel at boost. I removed mine.

He never checks EGT or Boost. He adjust's and drives them until he get's the required power. I've not known him to melt pistons or cook engines before, and he uses max throttle Evil or Very Mad

I'm a bit more conservative and don't use full power often.

Some have covered a few hundred thou and they tend to get killed by other issues. They all get used fairly hard...bent axles and exciting problems! Laughing
Post #646344 25th Aug 2017 9:31pm
LANDROVER

United Kingdom 
L110CDL wrote:
Cant beat 'rollin coal ' Whistle

Laughing I know it's great! People always look so concerned Shocked I run a straight pipe turbo back no mufflers. Sounds great under load.
Post #646348 25th Aug 2017 9:37pm
L110CDL

England 
It is great Cool i have no centre box but have the back box still on Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #646822 28th Aug 2017 9:16pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
[/quote]Laughing I know it's great! People always look so concerned Shocked I run a straight pipe turbo back no mufflers. Sounds great under load.[/quote]

That rather depends upon your perspective
Post #646932 29th Aug 2017 11:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1