↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Philips Racing Vision Bulbs 150% better ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
legin wrote:
I too was thinking of LED'sbut when looking on ebay the different price's ,what one's did you get I was thinking of these midprice at 255 and a UK seller.Here's the listing below.

Land Rover Defender LED Juwel Headlights with DRL E-Marked RHD

Our Land Rover Defender Juwel 7" LED Headlights with DRL are specifically designed for use with Land Rover Defenders. The anti-flicker harnesses prevent radio interference and contain technology that eliminates flickering caused by the CAN-BUS electrical system on later models making these headlights simply plug & play drawing a mere 2.0 Amps for each 30/36 Watt light.

Our Juwel LED Headlights offer 4200lm (High Beam) /2400lm (Low Beam) and are easily adjusted using the standard Land Rover headlight adjustment bezels. Instantly upgrade the look of your Defender with our road legal & E Marked LED lights.
Daytime Run Light
Energy efficient
Premium performance high-output CREE LEDs
Surpasses DOT & European requirements (E-Marked)
Easy plug and play installation for a 7″ LED headlight

The headlights are IP67 rated. Simply put; they are water/dust proof and can withstand being submerged underwater for 30 minutes without damage. Ideal when off-roading.

I liked the ip rating and the fact they were E marked

Legin, It is true that these lights have the following marks on the lens DOT SAE and a E in a circle

However they are ILLEGAL and are not E marked under the UN ECE regulations.

They are FAKE

They are ILLEGAL to use on the public highway

The UN ECE regulations clearly state what the correct approval markings are and what other markings should be on a headlight.

May I suggest you have a good close look at your Wipac headlights and look at the amount of markings on them.

A VALID E mark consists of 3 parts. The E and a number in a circle is the country which has done the approval. There should also be the regulation or amendment number and the ACTUAL approval number. These are missing on those headlights so they are FAKE.

Also MISSING are the letters defining the function of the light typically HCR for a headlight. No symbol for a plastic lens. No symbol saying they are suitable for use in the UK. No symbol for DRLs etc etc

I can also state that these mid price ILLEGAL LED headlights actually have a much larger profit margin and a larger profit in 's then someone selling genuine E marked headlights.

It is NOT a legal requirement for a manufacturer to put their own name on the lens. However all the reputable headlight makers put their names on their products and it is a simple way of checking if a headlight is genuine E marked.

If they put a fake E mark on what else is fake? Would you trust the light output figures, the IP rating?

I would also suggest you check your motor insurance policy. The chances are that there is a clause saying something to the effect that it is your duty to keep your vehicle road legal/road worthy etc. Look under what conditions your motor insurance company can void your insurance policy.

It is a legal requirement that ALL obligatory vehicle lights have to carry a valid APPROVAL mark

Brendan
Post #643980 14th Aug 2017 9:31pm
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Wow Leeds you have just blown me out of the water,I was just about to put my hand in my pocket to me they looked good UK seller and the right price.I'm a watch enthusiast so the words fake don't hold any light for me .The Philips bulbs are definitely not the way to go they are just another can of worms ,there are pages of why not which have been pointed out to me .So is there a good price LED headlight out there ,I don't really want to go with the spot light route so it will be down to decent headlight.Help needed.
Post #643995 14th Aug 2017 10:06pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Nolden that Leeds sells @ 4x4 Overlander.

A one off purchase. You wouldn't regret it! Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #644003 14th Aug 2017 10:18pm
EastFreo

Australia 
Quite a while back I bought one of the Phillips sets. To be honest I can't quite recall which one it was but it was one of the white vision ones.

What a difference! Where I was really impressed was with the low beam. Previously I found I had hardly any vision when I dipped my lights. Now it is pretty good.

And the high beam - like chalk and cheese compared to what I had.

Note I have previously had my wiring upgraded and a relay installed.

Also I will now jinx myself but the bulbs have lasted for about 18 months. Longer than the sets I had before. And I run with my lights on whenever I drive. So I have well and truly passed the hours I was expecting.

I will certainly buy again and probably will try the 150% version.
Post #644007 14th Aug 2017 10:23pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I ran a 90% Philips version too and thought they were great for a Halogen. And never had any issue at all.
With loom upgraded they were even better and you could see a real difference.

I do like my Noldens even more though. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #644009 14th Aug 2017 10:27pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Legin, if I was a hardnosed sales person I would say go to our website and buy some of our LED headlights.

However I think people should make INFORMED decisions and then buy from their preferred trader.

Note their are reputable traders who are ignorant of the law and their are unscrupulous traders who just look at the profit they can make.

With LED headlights the easiest way of telling if they are genuine E marked is does the light have the manufacturers name on it. This is NOT a legal requirement however all the reputable makers do put their names on their headlights.

'Good priced LED headlights'? This means different things to different people

Light Output?

IP Rating?

Appearance?

Budget?

Light Output learn what it actually means

RAW Lumens is basically a theoretical guess at what the light output is. If only one figure is given on light output then it will be this guess at the light output.

EFFECTIVE Lumens is a theoretical guess at what the actual light output is.

MEASURED Lumens is the actual measured light output of the light and is the figure that is best.

IP rating is the water and dust ingress protection figure. IP67 is the minimum figure you want. IP69K is the best IP rating.

Budget and appearance are personal decisions so no comment from me.

Hopefully you have more information to ask the correct questions and see what the traders actually answer.

Some of the wording I see from UK suppliers can be quite laughable.

Take this as an example from a UK supplier

Quote:

DOT Certified Driving Light
Take your Vision X Vortex LED Headlight anywhere without worrying. Every part of the headlight has been approved and certified by the DOT in all states. Theres also E-MARK and ADR models available, just in case you from another corner of the world.

I wonder what corner of the world that this particular UK supplier is in!

That is typical of some traders just copying and pasting the manufacturers wordings without thinking what is actually says.

The ones from the cheap end of the Chinese makers are also equally amusing!

Brendan
Post #644017 14th Aug 2017 10:39pm
legin

Just found these Truck-lite Generation 2 LED headlights Phase 7 on your web site, looks like a fair price ,UK seller and do we erm I get a discount ? I have seen Truck-lite headlights talked about on here but can't remember if it was good or bad or one model being better than another Truck-lite model.I will sit back and wait for the info.
Post #644019 14th Aug 2017 10:51pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Legin, go wash your mouth out with soap and water for muttering that nasty d word! Razz

Truck-lite spec

Functions: low beam, high beam, parking light / position light
Two separate LED arrays
9-33V multi-voltage design, for use in 12V and 24V systems
Power consumption (12.8V): 1.8A (low beam), 3.6A (high beam)
Power Consumption (25.6V): 1.0A (low beam), 1.8A (high beam)
Reference number (per headlamp): 17.5
Working temperature range: -40 C to 50 C
Surge protection: up to 600V
Coated, sturdy polycarbonate lens
Aluminum housing with coated reflector
Connection: Standard H4
Design: Direct replacement for # 6014, 6015, 6016, H6024 and PAR56 lights
Encapsulated electronics for maximum insensitivity to vibration, moisture or rust
Approval according to ECE

Fully E marked, fully road legal with the correct markings on the lens.

IP rating 69K which is the best you can get.To my knowledge it is only Nolden and Truck-Lite who have the highest IP rating of 69K

I have not personally used the Truck-Lite lights, have used Nolden, Vision X and JW Speaker LED headlights

HTH

Try speaking to Barbara Whistle

Brendan
Post #644292 15th Aug 2017 10:51pm
legin

Who's Barbara your PA ?
Post #644627 17th Aug 2017 9:17am
DuncanS

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
You'll get beaten for calling her that! Barbara is Brendans better half haha! A good family run business.

We sell the TruckLite headlights and I can vouch for their performance. North Cumbria Search and Rescue - Team Leader
Post #644628 17th Aug 2017 9:24am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
legin,...if ya wanna go LED, & ya really wanna go quality,....the "right" product, why don't ya simply buy NOLDEN, OE on the factory celebration edition Defenders?
Pickles.
Post #644635 17th Aug 2017 10:25am
legin

I'm a poor old retired fellow and e'm Holden's are too much for me,Sorry to Brendan I didn't have a clue who Barbara was I will get in touch with her.
Post #644690 17th Aug 2017 3:42pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
But isn't your 2.2 worth it, adds value. Whistle Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #644717 17th Aug 2017 5:00pm
legin

600 for a pair headlights I can remember buying a drive away car for that sort of money and I was just going to buy a couple of 21.95 bulbs at the start of this post Big Cry
Post #644723 17th Aug 2017 5:57pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
legin wrote:
I'm a poor old retired fellow and e'm Holden's are too much for me,Sorry to Brendan I didn't have a clue who Barbara was I will get in touch with her.

I am a poor state pensioner with a wife and 4 Defenders to keep!

Yes 4x4overlander is a small company run by Barbara and myself and our basic principle is to source and sell good quality products that we have used ourselves or are prepared to put on our own vehicles. Yes we use our vehicles and they have been to some 'interesting' places.

Back to conventional style headlight bulbs. Apart from light output from a bulb you need to know the B3 and Tc time. B3 is the time span when 3% of the bulbs will fail. Tc is the time span where 63% of the light bulbs will fail.

Now all the extra bright headlight bulbs will have a lower Tc then the conventional bulbs. The extra bright bulb filaments burn at a higher temperature and are more susceptible to shocks from rough road surfaces etc. so the Tc will be lower.

That is some of the type data you should be looking at when comparing bulbs. It can be difficult to find.

As for so call LED replacement bulbs take a look at the small print on the back of Halfords LED bulbs. Cleary states for 'OFFROAD USE ONLY'

Click image to enlarge

As stated earlier I believe people should make informed decisions about their purchases.

However there are certain traders who sell illegal items in the 4x4 market and are not prepared to give good accurate information to their customers.

Places such as auction sites are full of illegal items to use on the public highway.

Brendan
Post #644774 17th Aug 2017 10:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>