↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Where do stolen Land Rovers go?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
24heuer

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Where do stolen Land Rovers go?
Rather than hijack someone else's thread I thought I'd pose this....

Where do people think the stolen defenders are actually going?

My 110 stolen in May hasn't reappeared and various theories have been suggested from being broken down for parts to shipped complete to somewhere in Africa or Asia.

One reoccurring hypothesis is that it's broken down and the thieves sell the parts indirectly via eBay or gumtree - i.e. they sell a legit part but then hook the buyer by saying they also have other parts for sale...that way they don't need to list the stolen parts.

Someone else suggested they get put in a container and sent to Nigeria - I asked a Nigerian friend who laughed and said they weren't interested in Defenders there - it's the big Mercs and BMWs that they're after.

Anyway, interested to hear people's thoughts on this as the cops didn't seem to have a clue. Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
http://24heuer.com
Post #642757 9th Aug 2017 2:43pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Stripped n sold would be my best guess as a lot of the time the actual truck isnt nicked but all the body/doors/bonnet etc...

Lots are made into ringers, can find em on ebay quite a lot.

I expect higher end ones are shipped out the country, the Police did find a fair few Defenders in containers last year destined for UAE, Africa and the US
Post #642758 9th Aug 2017 2:57pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would think that nearly all stolen Defenders are broken for parts, or are rung (or should that be ringed?).

Non-Defender JLR products probably 50:50 broken and exported.
Post #642760 9th Aug 2017 3:05pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Not so much these days but it still does happen.
Stolen for RAM raids. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #642765 9th Aug 2017 3:31pm
24heuer

blackwolf wrote:
I would think that nearly all stolen Defenders are broken for parts, or are rung (or should that be ringed?).

Non-Defender JLR products probably 50:50 broken and exported.

Too many parts to mark I guess but maybe something like datatag data dots might be handy...pretty sure i had something like that on my motorcycle a few years back. Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
Post #642767 9th Aug 2017 3:38pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
E BAY
Post #642770 9th Aug 2017 4:08pm
gilarion

24heuer wrote:

Too many parts to mark I guess but maybe something like datatag data dots might be handy...pretty sure i had something like that on my motorcycle a few years back.

A new security marking kit for Defenders, a little like Data Tag but cheaper at £35.76 and with the benefit that the kit also includes a window etching kit that Data Tag does not.

This marking system works on the principle of UV light. And is backed by The International Security Register which having googled the register seems very comprehensive. I think this kit is good value.

http://www.paddockspares.com/security-mark...a37713c7e1 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #642773 9th Aug 2017 4:16pm
dorsetsmith

@Ecco - that is the million dollar question and one I'd love to know the answer to.[/quote]

answer to the question you can not buy brand new defender in EU (PARTS ONLY) and thieving Censored have not trouble ship as not border control
Post #642774 9th Aug 2017 4:21pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
The evidence is anecdotal in many cases, but there does look to be a 'breakers mentality' for car thieves which is clearly not limited to just Land Rovers.

Security Etching a Vehicle can be a valuable Security Layer to possibly help deter the 'steal it to break it' market that appears to be the fate for some Defenders.

I used the Security Coded System ISR and dealt directly with the Retainagroup to increase the quantity of both the Glass Etching and Panel Marking elements issued against my number.

Very helpful service, low cost, and no yearly subscription to maintain the register.

Every piece of Glass (there are 13 on my 90, including the Sunroof)
and every major exterior and interior Body Panel is now marked.

Click image to enlarge

LRO did an article in 2012

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Worth considering... Thumbs Up
http://www.retainagroup.com/motor-industry.html

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html

Last edited by X4SKP on 10th Aug 2017 3:59pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #642784 9th Aug 2017 5:46pm
gilarion

I like that idea. Thumbs Up

Much better than Data tag or Smart Water as it’s a very visual deterrent

Do you know if they still do the home kit? Or if they have franchises elsewhere in the country, Kent is a little too far for me. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #642805 9th Aug 2017 6:35pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
coleford Gloucester Rolling with laughter , police found 23 so far and loads of other parts ,even had a shop their selling it .
Post #642838 9th Aug 2017 9:24pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Ohh must have the etching kit! Mr. Green Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #642848 9th Aug 2017 10:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
gilarion wrote:
Do you know if they still do the home kit? Or if they have franchises elsewhere in the country, Kent is a little too far for me.

Hello gilarion

I dealt with the Retainagroup over the phone (Sales No.) they 'tailored' their Vehicle Kit to my requirements
(for a minimal extra charge) and it was posted out to me.

Small point this also ensured that I got the Retain Group ISR Credit Card for my wallet rather than the Britpart one... if you get this from an alternative source (the Standard Kit is however the same).

The Retain Group were also developing a Kit for Caravans, basically the same, but using an alternative etching solution for the windows typically fitted (polycarbonate / acrylic / perspex...(all the same))

I'm about to follow this up... Thumbs Up

I was really impressed with the Glass Etching, I expected it to be 'so-so' as this is a DIY kit, I had my windows on a previous Defender 'etched' which was essentially a fine 'bead blasting' technique, so more engraving than etching, (this was very good) but this Chemical etching was super crisp, being careful and keeping everything scrupulously clean gave a very good result.

The Labels (Body Panels) are easier to apply (again to a clean surface...I removed all polish, clay bar and used a mild alcohol to get things the best as I could). These Labels, with the application of a UV fluid, etch into the Paint Work over a number of days, with the full effect I think reached in about a week, If removed there is a 'permanent' visible marking left behind, requiring that all Panels and Plastic Parts would need surface refinishing to hide this. You have to apply these Labels carefully...as soon as they touch anything...(anything) you are committed to follow through...they will break up if you attempt to re position them...think twice apply once.

I did all my Wheels, all bolt on stuff (KBX front end) Bonnet, all Body Panels, internally Dash Board, Centre Consul, etc. I was aware that I didn't want the vehicle to look like a riot of Labels, and it doesn't but at all the approach / entry points these are in a (hopefully) prominent position...then when these are seen and you 'tune in' to start looking for them...one piece after another is marked up.

The deal is, if Stolen you let ISR know (this is possible 24/7). They are not involved actively in searching for or trying to recover your vehicle, but they will, with you involvement, as the registered owner, liaise with you and the Police as required. If the Police come across parts marked up, they can establish the link to the registered owner by contacting the ISR.

If you sell the Vehicle, you contact ISR and they will update the details of the new owner onto the ISR Data Base

So if this is of interest...add up what you need, and give this a go...you just need to prep' really well, and wait for a dry day to apply... Thud

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html

Last edited by X4SKP on 10th Aug 2017 4:00pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #642925 10th Aug 2017 10:46am
24heuer

This looks really good so i just called them up on the number in the LRO article and the price is the same @ £35.25.
Can't complain at that - for 35 quid it has to be worth it Smile
Should be in the post shortly. Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
Post #642931 10th Aug 2017 11:15am
gilarion

Thank you X4SKP for that information I will give it a go Thumbs Up For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

Post #642953 10th Aug 2017 1:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>