↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Fuel can storeage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Fuel can storeage
What is the view on storing a diesel jerry inside the vehicle? I don't have a roof rack or want to screw any additional things to the bodywork to allow external storage. Clearly the can will need to be secured so it can't move in the event of an accident, other than that are there any reasons why not? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #642167 6th Aug 2017 9:55am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
No. In fact many will advocate storing it inside rather than on a rack due to the weight, although the latter can be done as long as you're sensible. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #642170 6th Aug 2017 10:00am
VeeTee

Netherlands 
I see no reason why not. I carry a small plastic jerrycan with diesel, as long it is securely stored no problem. Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #642172 6th Aug 2017 10:02am
Panda

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Fuji White
Hi

Max 10 liters petrol
20 liters diesel but check your insurance as they may say no.

https://www.jerrycans.co.uk/blog/are-jerry...aw-on-fuel

interesting read if nothing else. Monty-2015 2.2 110 XS Puma Station Wagon
Yoda Disco 3-Sold
Larry Disco 1-Sold
Muddly XS 90 TDCI-Sold
Pearl Disco 2-Sold
Larry Disco 1-didn't want too but sold
Post #642207 6th Aug 2017 12:14pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I carry 20L of Diesel in an approved metal jerrycan for longer trips.

Gives me another 120 mile approx range on top of the standard 90 fuel tank with out fiddling with aux fuel tanks.
(Around 300 miles total ish with no fill ups with both filled.)

I strap mine securely to the rear seat frame.

I don't like holders for the reason of, A, poor selection of locations to mount. B, Outside and theft is a real issue.
C, Internaly it can take up lots of room and isn't removable.
And D, the worst one for me, is that most are that awful stuff Powder coated mild steel.
If I ever did have one I'd want Stainless, I suppose unless there are some in the market?
A good skilled welder, which I think many of you may be on here probably could knock one up in Stainless.

You've also, got to be careful where you put them as lifting them they are very heavy when full.
I'd say you are talking 26kg - 29kg range ish.

I don't see much point in carrying smaller in diesel, as it won't put much in really.
However, petrol is a different matter for safety reasons all together.

A 110 or 130, you do however have more scope.
Butt with a 90 it's best in my view to keep things removable, space is a premium. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #642208 6th Aug 2017 12:25pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Panda wrote:
Hi

Max 10 liters petrol
20 liters diesel but check your insurance as they may say no.

https://www.jerrycans.co.uk/blog/are-jerry...aw-on-fuel

interesting read if nothing else.

Unless there have been recent changes I haven't heard about, the legal max for diesel is 1000 litres, above which you need a transport licence.
Post #642213 6th Aug 2017 12:40pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
First question, why jerry cans?

The trip you are planning is 4-5k miles in total with 11 days in Morocco.

Travelling through France and Spain you are likely to clock up 2.5-3k miles. Fuel stations will be about 30 miles apart maximum.

That is a maximum of about 2,500 miles in Morocco or just over 200 miles a day. IMO you will struggle to average 200+ miles a day for 11 days.

Fuel tank on a 110 is 80 litres and assuming very bad driving conditions in soft sand you will average at least 3+ miles per litre or a minimum range of 240 miles

Morocco is not a desolate place devoid of fuel stations so just keep your main tanks topped up every day.

If you need extra range go for a wing tank.

Jerry cans, if going down that route either get a good steel one with a good gasket, or a proper plastic jerry (such as Sceptor) and not the elcheapo ones in garage forecourts. Cheap plastic ones will deform under change of temperature and air pressure resulting in fumes leaking. Also you drop a cheap plastic one on corner and they will split. (Guess how I know!)

Ferry companies do not like extra fuel jerry cans even if they are empty. This situation does change with time and political events. So check with your ferry company. Coming back from Morocco with full vehicle fuel tanks is fine. Full jerry cans you are technically importing fuel and duty is technically payable so keep jerry cans away from prying eyes.

I have only had to use a jerry can once. That was in Norway on a Sunday night when the self service fuel stations only accepted Scandivian credit cards. Five miles further on was a manned 24 hr fuel station which I would probably have made.

In remote places the rule of thumb is to have enough fuel on board to get to the next fuel station beyond the nearest fuel station. This gives you your built in safety factor just in case the nearest station is out of fuel.

Brendan
Post #642242 6th Aug 2017 3:30pm
Panda

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Fuji White
Hi Blackwolf

Providing those cans are UN approved, marked UN 1203 and labelled with the flammable diamond, the only requirements are

Driver training in accordance with ADR 1.3
Carry 2 kg fire extinguisher
Stow the jerry cans correctly to avoid damage or loss from the vehicle Monty-2015 2.2 110 XS Puma Station Wagon
Yoda Disco 3-Sold
Larry Disco 1-Sold
Muddly XS 90 TDCI-Sold
Pearl Disco 2-Sold
Larry Disco 1-didn't want too but sold
Post #642243 6th Aug 2017 3:34pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
As an aside, I come across someone who planned to put 8 20 litre jerry cans of diesel on his roof rack. Now that in theory would treble the range of a standard 110. Now a 20 litre steel jerry can of diesel woul weigh roughly 25 kg or about 200 kg for 8. The ROW limit on a Defender roof is 150 kg so with a roof rack looking at least 250 kg on top. It would drive like a pig.

Now where was this guy going somewhere extreme remote? No he was heading down to Croatia and diesel was cheapest in Luxembourg! His argument was that he would save money on fuel!

Have come across a Defender driver topping up his diesel tank to the maximum of 330 litres. With tanks and pumps etc talking about 500 kg there. This guy needed the fuel as he went into the desert for 3 weeks at a time without returning to town. I met this guy in Central Australia and his occupation was research into sand movement in deserts.

Think carefully what you actually need rather then look at me "I am a cool overlander guy with everything including the kitchen sink strapped down on a roof rack"

Brendan
Post #642245 6th Aug 2017 3:47pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Hi guys, thanks for the input. Brendan I know you have vast experience in this area, so thanks for taking the time.

The reason why? Our guide for Morocco has said we should ensure we can comfortably cover 250 miles without refuelling. Now, on the Peage @100km/h I can do that without breaking a sweat, it'll be a further 100 miles before the red light However, I do not know what terrain, remoteness or conditions is planned for us in Morocco.

Seeing as I already own 20l metal Jerry, it seemed to make sense to put it in the car. I wouldn't be filling it up before Morocco anyhow and find a descrete location for it for the Channel crossing. They don't like Calor gas bottles in cars either but I've never been picked up yet. Worst case I'd play dumb and they can have it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #642251 6th Aug 2017 4:06pm
hafman

United Kingdom 
custom90steve wrote:
You've also, got to be careful where you put them as lifting them they are very heavy when full.
I'd say you are talking 26kg - 29kg range ish

Heavy, but not that heavy! The Wavian jerry cans are 4.3kg; 20 litres of diesel weighs 14.9kg, and 20 litres of petrol weighs 16.6kg. So max weight = 19.2 or 20.9 kg, depending on fuel type.
Post #642326 7th Aug 2017 6:40am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
You won't need a jerry can in Morocco, there are plenty of filling stations within reach of a full tank, even down to the Erg Chebbi.
They are heavy, will stink the car out, take up valuable room and are easily the most identifiable ''unnecessary overland accessory''
Mo 😊 The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #642332 7th Aug 2017 7:52am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Hafman - You got it, to be fair I've never weighed it. One thing for certain it's heavy enough!
But the good thing is there is a good volume of fuel, so well worth it.

Thumbs Up

P.S. The Wavian cans are excellent, I store mine empty in a warm dry place.
Plus the have a special lining, but all the same I have no need to store any Diesel except for time due for use. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #642356 7th Aug 2017 11:31am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Mo Murphy wrote:
You won't need a jerry can...easily the most identifiable ''unnecessary overland accessory''
Mo 😊

Isn't that always the case till the time you need it? Mr. Green
I have 3 five litre cans left from when I drove a VX220. Never needed a jerry can, got stranded 3 times. After I sold the car I discovered mine didn't hold 38 but 32 litres.
Never carried a jerry can in a Defender, but maybe... Rolling with laughter
Post #642364 7th Aug 2017 11:59am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Did you keep them on the roof rack of your VX220 along with the roof tent and 2 spare wheels ? 😂
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #642391 7th Aug 2017 3:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>