↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 262 of 265 <123 ... 261262 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
/\ I missed that lesson, or had been sent out half way through it. Never again came the refrain from the kids, and that was just to spending two weeks with me, never mind the boat.

Still, home now. The 300tdi did a grand job of boat lugging, and for the first time I can remember didn’t sit and leak oil in the boat park at Batson! The new cassette in the turbo has made a real difference, I got caught in the right hand lane once or twice on the way home and ended up at 80 for a brief moment. I’m now deaf obviously, but it was good while it lasted.

Loaded up with ‘stuff’.

Click image to enlarge
Post #852940 29th Aug 2020 5:17pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Toilet Rolls. Is it me, or since lock down, are toilet rolls getting smaller?

I keep a good stock in my toilet (we have a his and hers toilet arrangement) within a plastic box. It wasn't long ago that the rolls were very tight as I pushed them into the box for storage and in case of emergency. Unless my box has stretched in some way, my bog roll bounces around inside the thing now. I've also noted the amount of free board that there is around the loo roll holder on the wall and I seem to be getting through loo roll a lot quicker these days. No change in diet, consistency or regularaty so there has to be something happening, and it's got nothing to do with me and my constitution!!

Now all of you people who were desperately stocking up on the rolls just before lock down, you probably haven't noticed as you still have four and a half years of stock left and no chance anytime soon of anyone sleeping in your spare bedroom - and it's got nothing to do with social distancing has it? Rolling with laughter

Maybe you hoarders have had the last laugh? As the loo roll size diminishes the price doesn't seem to have reduced at all Whistle
Post #856097 14th Sep 2020 10:51pm
Tim in Scotland

I noticed yesterday that B&Q have started selling bog roll , my local branch had packs of 9 rolls of Andrex on a special offer too! I don’t remember ever seeing loo paper on the shelves in B&Q before, must be a profit to be made stocking it as home decorating equipment. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #856119 15th Sep 2020 8:24am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Getting very irritated by the adverts for cars using perverted and distorted rock classics to try to capture past values.

Born to be Wild - totally gutted into a lift music drone advertising a Volvo - just wrong.

21st Century Schitzoid man - advertising some sort of hybrid thing - plainly wrong.

There are others.

But Steppenwolf and King Crimson (and many others) should be left out of the advertisers fantasies. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #856654 18th Sep 2020 1:41pm
Tim in Scotland

There is one manufacturer who is advertising their car being driven by a young girl who looks way too young to be driving, with a bunch of similar aged girls rammed into a car when they should be paying attention to distancing but also driving along using the car as a mobile disco, bouncing around inside it as they drive along. No wonder so many young people come to grief in accidents if that is how manufacturers portray how you should be driving. Grump over. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #856655 18th Sep 2020 1:51pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
When did 'for sure' replace 'certainly', 'absolutely', 'definitely' and other similar adverbs during interviews with sports men and women? I'll forgive foreign sportsmen and women with patchy English but not their British counterparts or the handful of stars (such as the Scandinavian drivers in F1 and WRC) who speak otherwise impeccable English. Everybody says it now and it is unnecessary. It's lazy and for sure I find it hugely irksome. Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #856782 19th Sep 2020 7:07am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
My recollection of the first time I heard 'for sure' was when a certain German F1 driver with a red car started using it. 😡

Today's grump though is the bloody council landscaping contractors who decided that 0740 on a Saturday. Owning was an appropriate time to fire up their 2 stroke hedge trimmers & strimmers & tidy up the bushes that have been over growing the path outside our bedroom window for the whole of the summer.

Why do this so early on a Saturday morning rather than on a weekday!!!! "I don't believe it!"
Post #856794 19th Sep 2020 8:17am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Double-time at weekends, well worth slipping jobs until Saturday to get more dosh.
Post #856798 19th Sep 2020 8:31am
Rashers

Paid Overtime. That brings back good memories. Time and a half Saturday Morning till 1, then double bubble Saturday afternoon and Sunday. 37.5 hours paid for two 10 hour days. Double your wages for two days work (well not quite as we never worked a flat 7.5 hour day). It was great if you wanted to save for something. Not great for the social life.

Now I am expected to work overtime for no pay where required. No good for saving and still not good for the social life.

How did that happen?
Post #856802 19th Sep 2020 8:45am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Sven Goran Eriksson was famously a ‘for sure’ user back in the day, & was much impersonated at the time - might be his fault?
Post #856803 19th Sep 2020 8:52am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
VVS210 wrote:
the bushes that have been over growing the path outside our bedroom window for the whole of the summer.

Is it that they can't do anything until September and then it's a mad dash around a large patch to get it all done before the weather turns nasty.
Post #856811 19th Sep 2020 9:18am
Bian Considine

United Kingdom 
A few grumps from me.

I hate the "Americanisms" that are creeping into use...

"sneekers" - we wear trainers.
"flashlight" - we use a torch.

& in the owners book that came with Mrs. C's new Ford Kuga - it refers to the "trunk", "hood", "lug wrench" & apparently it has a "gas tank" & "tires".
ONE of the reasons it will be her last Ford.

Oh, & another thing - all the car/vehicle adverts that show only LHD models.
Post #856995 20th Sep 2020 8:47am
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
"Can I get" Mad Twisted Evil
Post #856998 20th Sep 2020 8:54am
Slideywindows

England 
The Coca-colanisation of the English language is not just the changing of our words, but also the pronunciation of English words.

If you speak American, the emphasis is always on the first syllable, eg:

BAGHdad

WEEKend

REsearch.

If you speak crown English, the emphasis is on the second syllable.

It is a shame that most employees of our National Broadcasting Corporation have taken to speaking American.
Post #857042 20th Sep 2020 12:53pm
Rashers

I struggle with English as I am born and bred in Norfolk Laughing

What does upset me is the way that local dialects are being watered down by TV, Radio and the media in general. Children are growing up listening to broadcasters, very few up until a few years ago have any discernible accent.

There isn't much that can be done about it, but my parents generation were probably the last to have a true dialect. Although I speak Norfolk, my vocabulary has been tainted by the telly.

The actress Jane Horrocks, if I remember correctly, was told by her drama school that she needed to lose her strong accent. What a crying shame it would have been if she had of done what they wanted. What would the world be if we all talked like Sue Lawley*

*I have nothing against Sue, other than the way she used to pronounce the word issue. She said "isoo" whereas being a country bumpkin I would pronounce it "Ishoo".

We were probably both getting it hopelessly wrong but it did used to wind me up. Apart from that, a very good old time journalist who gave you the news and informed the listener rather than giving her opinion Thumbs Up
Post #857045 20th Sep 2020 1:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 262 of 265 <123 ... 261262 263264265>