↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 208 of 265 <123 ... 207208209 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Nothing a good tyre stuffed with straw and covered in used engine oil won’t sort out, apparently. A local farmer waits for decent cloud cover before lighting a fire, mostly containing feed bags and bailer twine......that smokes well.
Post #669354 6th Dec 2017 6:36pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Back in the day, My Grandad was quite partial to a T.V.O filled tyre every now and then. Laughing 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #669360 6th Dec 2017 6:44pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Polystyrene goes a treat after dark Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #669361 6th Dec 2017 6:50pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
So does roofing felt..... Whistle 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #669366 6th Dec 2017 7:17pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Although we have a fire about twice a year, I wouldn't mind a bit if the government banned them altogether. We have a neighbour (he gardens completely nude, by the way) who is always finding stuff to burn, usually wet leaves. Next door to him is an old woman who does the same - bonfire, I mean, not nude gardening. He and she are a complete pain - totally unsociable.

I left a fire going in a steel incinerator once, at our old house, with the chimney hood placed on it. Middle of the night we can see blue flashing lights. Looked out of the window and a fire engine is cruising the street trying to find it. The air is thick with smoke! I ran out to the incinerator (2.00 in the morning) and doused it with water. What had happened was that the fire went out and all the stuff simply smoked. Two mornings later I had a bag of human sh*t thrown onto my back lawn (unbelievable smell). I don't know if it was a neighbour or one of the firemen who didn't like his sleep disturbed. It was a genuine error on my part as I didn't realise that it would turn to smoking rather than burning (amateur!). One tip I will pass on is to have at least a can full of water to hand. I've seen sparks come out and set fire to what were wet leaves - that quickly become like a bomb fuse! Now I soak the ground before and after a fire. Now left.
Post #669368 6th Dec 2017 7:20pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Few things get my goat more than anti-social neighbours. Mrs Grenadier is waiting for the day when I pack up our things and move to some isolated location in preparation to be the next Ben Fogle 'New Lves in the Wild' episode. Hate neighbours. Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #669370 6th Dec 2017 7:25pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
ARC99 wrote:
People who decide to have a BBQ when its a hot day any I have the windows and doors open to keep cool, the stench of smoke gets into every fabric of the house and last for months. BBQ's should be banned under the clean air act.

I barbeque almost every evening from March to October on a proper charcoal barbie.
Never had a complaint yet. 
Post #669380 6th Dec 2017 8:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Thanks Laurie. I too am rather partial to the odd BBQ. Christmas meal will be cooked on it again.

I’m not sure about the rest of the UK, but Norwich has only a couple of small geographical areas where fires are not allowed.

We only found out when the bloke beside the old office I worked in tried to dispose of several hundred unsold Christmas tree in January. The bonfire lasted a week (on and off). We called environmental health who did go and have a friendly chat, but there was very little they could do. As far as I could see it was trade waste?

As for Farms and bonfires, November 5th is a favourite although the Environment Agency have got cute about this and prosecuted a few a couple of years back.

TVO and a tyre. Now we’re talking Thumbs Up
Post #669408 6th Dec 2017 9:53pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
I have a proper licence to burn windfall. I take it seriously. Burning plastic and other nasty things is illegal for a good reason. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #669475 7th Dec 2017 5:29am
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Well said Lambert Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #669477 7th Dec 2017 6:13am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Hell is other people
Grenadier wrote:
Few things get my goat more than anti-social neighbours. Mrs Grenadier is waiting for the day when I pack up our things and move to some isolated location in preparation to be the next Ben Fogle 'New Lves in the Wild' episode. Hate neighbours. Big Cry

The older I get the less tolerant to neighbours I become - that makes me an anti social neighbour Hey -Ho. Evil or Very Mad
Post #669547 7th Dec 2017 1:50pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
I have decided that I despise wind chill it's horrible, I'm cold and it shouldn't be a thing, i can't see air so why should it be allowed to make me cold? The government should ban wind chill and those bif spinning outdoor fan things, they make it worse but they never put them on whe its warm and i need cooling down. Grrr. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #669549 7th Dec 2017 2:34pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium) cable instead of the better and higher performing OFC cable. (Oxygen Free Copper.)

Always seeing CCA up for sale and it's not something I'd use. Rolling Eyes Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #669607 7th Dec 2017 8:19pm
Slideywindows

England 
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
I have decided that I despise wind chill it's horrible, I'm cold and it shouldn't be a thing, i can't see air so why should it be allowed to make me cold? The government should ban wind chill and those bif spinning outdoor fan things, they make it worse but they never put them on whe its warm and i need cooling down. Grrr.

You should tell the BBC.

Then they can announce that the air has got a lot colder and Winters have got worse, since Theresa May decided to hold that election.... Whistle
Post #669619 7th Dec 2017 8:54pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
,,,,,, Burning plastic and other nasty things is illegal for a good reason.

Too true.

The poisonous gases emitted when polymers/plastics are burnt is not to be underestimated! In a previous existence by mistake I managed to degrade about 2 grammes of polyoxylemethylene otherwise know as Acetal or trade name Delrin. I could not enter the large room to switch off the equipment. 72 hours later the smell from this degraded 2 grammes of material was still extremely noticeable in an extremely large room, say 30 x 30 metres.

Brendan
Post #669650 7th Dec 2017 11:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 208 of 265 <123 ... 207208209 ... 263264265>