↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 198 of 265 <123 ... 197198199 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Was it the totally politically incorrect South Park who were going to have a town where all the vehicles were to be Toyota Prius?
The Town was not polluted with Smog, put the drivers polluted the town in Smug.
Post #646754 28th Aug 2017 1:51pm
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Now we have the mother of all politically correct gestures. An actor called Ed Skrien is refusing to play the part of a person of Asian origin. Many other luvvies are queuing up to pat him on the back but I wonder how loud they would have shrieked if the black actress playing Hermione Grainger in the Potter play had been refused the part on the grounds that Hermione Grainger is actually a whitey.
And where will they find a live Wookie with an equity card if there's another Star Wars, answer me that?
Post #647014 29th Aug 2017 6:50pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I have heard they are thinking of bringing back hanging as a punishment for Morris Men who black their faces and dance in public. Whistle Laughing

Anyway I thought acting was all make believe so what does it matter if a Chinese plays a Red Indian, or an actor pretends to be Asian. No one moaned when the American Dick Van Dyke played an east end chimney sweep with the worst accent in the history of film. Probably someone will ban the film now as he was not a real cockney. Neutral For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #647015 29th Aug 2017 6:53pm
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Clearly , natural selection isn't working and we need to introduce human culling 🙄
That's all I will say on the matter........
Starting with the Censored stirring press .... Have fun be happy
Post #647328 31st Aug 2017 8:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Highways Agency!
Last night ! drove from Pembrokeshire back to Chester in our 130 (a journey I have done may many times over the last 20 years) and the A483 was closed for overnight works from Llanymynech to Oswestry A5 junction. The diversion signs were almost non existent, the closure was so long that sat nav was useless as it juts wanted to bring me back to closed road. When I have a few minutes spare I'll review the dash cam footage to see if I can freeze frame the unreadable signs warning of the closure (font was minute, impossible to read past the Welsh to find the English and the sign's were hidden). Worked out my own diversion and it added 40 minutes to a 4 hour drive, the area to East of A483 is a nightmare of country roads all as rough as hell but I was in the 130 so I bounced about.

There seems to be a programme of overnight works lasting for a couple of months - so why don't they put up decent signs and arrange sensible diversion routes.

Checking Highways Agency website is a waste of time with the A483 as it runs in and out of England and Wales and due to stupid politically correctness and a policy of letting the muppets of the welsh assembly believe they are important (not just a glorified district council) there is a separate Welsh Highways Agency with its own website so you have to check two website neither of which show the complete road.

Got to bed very late and so I am grumpy and tiered now!!! 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #647348 31st Aug 2017 9:59am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Highways employees who can't be bothered to actually read their work order and just paint the road regardless of whether there should be lines there or not. Grrrrr. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #647397 31st Aug 2017 2:16pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
We had resurfacing delayed through bad weather.
Someone forgot to tell the white line people.
Guess what.... 
Post #647401 31st Aug 2017 2:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rashers

They council cut the grass verges at our end of our village. Looks nice.

The other end got missed. Road is getting narrower and narrower. Looks untidy.

Seen the tractor with the verge cutter parked up our end of the village a couple of times now. Paperwork being read, verges cut neat and tidy, tractor driver scratching head and then disappears without doing anything.

Grass verges on the other end of the village still overgrown.
Post #647413 31st Aug 2017 3:44pm
lambert.the.farmer

Oh its universal with all local authorities, I think that the old "pay peanuts, get gibbons" couldn't be more appropriately applied. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #647435 31st Aug 2017 5:16pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
In some ways the way the bloke that cuts the verges round here on the Council contract is a good thing for the traffic, he doesn't hold up the traffic flow much as he's going so damned fast but the job he's doing isn't that special. Where the cutting head is near the verge he's mainly flattening it so in a couple of days its all sprung back up again!

A word of warning for anyone thinking of driving through Hereford in the months to come is to not bother, we have enough hassle in having no bypass round the "city" on the A49 but the amount of extra roadworks and closures we've got to come is going to make it even worse Embarassed Embarassed
Post #647496 31st Aug 2017 9:34pm
Rashers

Although this hasn't happened in the last couple of years, The Highways Agency regularly sent the verge cutting Crew out on to the A47 near me on the morning of the Royal Norfolk Show. It was unbelievable

Banging Head

Thanks for the heads up on Hereford, JWL

Don't try and drive through Norwich either - for the rest of your life! It seems that pedestrianisation is the way to go for our fine City. The concept that if you have two roads and close one of those roads to cars this will half the traffic. Nice try but this then pushes twice as much traffic on the remaining thoroughfare. Obvious?

Norwich has an inner ring road (which isn't a ring as it was never completed)
It has an otter ring road (which isn't a ring as it was never completed)
It has a Southern Bypass and a soon to be completed Northern Bypass (called the Northern Distributor) which - wait for it - doesn't go all the way round either. Can you see a pattern emerging here? Whistle

As the TV series title says - Normal for Norfolk (I really wouldn't live anywhere else Thumbs Up )
Post #647525 31st Aug 2017 10:37pm
lambert.the.farmer

The NHS. I thought it was meant to fix people not break them even more. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #647549 1st Sep 2017 5:27am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Sorry...is it me - why are we naming storms now, when did we become american?!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41175100 Mike
Post #648629 6th Sep 2017 4:07pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
JWL - don’t get me started on Hereford! As if the bridge by Curry’s isn’t enough of a bottleneck, making it single lane is going to be hell. For what? 9 weeks or something? https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #648631 6th Sep 2017 4:16pm
Slideywindows

England 
mse wrote:
Sorry...is it me - why are we naming storms now, when did we become american?!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41175100

Since we started calling them hurrycanes rather than hurricuns.
Post #648653 6th Sep 2017 5:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 198 of 265 <123 ... 197198199 ... 263264265>