↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 124 of 265 <123 ... 123124125 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Dual carriageway today, doing touching 70 an diot comes up behind at speed. Obviously speeding.
Tailgates me, I suppose thinking I'll move over so he can do 90?
I stay put, why shouldn't I, I'm in the lane I need to be.
He undertakes me, then moves back to the lane beside me again when I get to the roundabout.

They say young drivers, this guy was about early 70's. Rolling Eyes
Post #415256 10th Apr 2015 9:16pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Age is not a barrier to bad driving!

Recently got overtaken in a 30mph zone. Have no particular issue with being overtaken, however at a traffic light control crossroads where they go the wrong side of a keep left bollard and across the cross roads on the wrong side of the road without blues and twos going should be an instant removal of driving licence.

There again there is the driver who wonders why you shake your head at them. They want to turn right from a minor road onto an A road. Lets ignore the double dash give way sign and stopped at the centreline of the A road as there is a keep clear box. A winch equipped 110 with a full ARB winch mounting system doing an emergency stop about 1 foot away from drivers door. Hmmm winch bumper on a 110 v side of standard Eurobox. Makes you wonder which one would have come off worse!

I know where I would put my money!

Brendan
Post #415278 10th Apr 2015 11:17pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
custom90steve wrote:
Dual carriageway today, doing touching 70 an diot comes up behind at speed. Obviously speeding.
Tailgates me, I suppose thinking I'll move over so he can do 90?
I stay put, why shouldn't I, I'm in the lane I need to be.
He undertakes me, then moves back to the lane beside me again when I get to the roundabout.

They say young drivers, this guy was about early 70's. Rolling Eyes

Surely if the left hand lane is clear you should move over ?
Post #415281 10th Apr 2015 11:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I am amazed/horrified/disgusted by the number of drivers nowadays (including emergency services drivers) who completely ignore solid white lines up the centre of the road when it suits them. There seems to be an epidemic of illegal, stupid, and dangerous overtaking.
Post #415285 10th Apr 2015 11:57pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Yes, I've seen that too.

BP (Steve) - No joy this time as I had to turn off right so needed to be in that lane. If I moved over loads of em would go fying past and I wouldn't be able to get back there.
Thus I'd end up in the wrong lane going in a direction completely opposite to where I was trying to go.
70 is the speed limit after all and undertaking is illegal.
Post #415327 11th Apr 2015 10:04am
Projectblue

England 
Custom90, I'm with you on the right lane for turning right, Totally understand why you choose to do that. But the justification of "70 is the speed limit and undertaking is illegal" isn't a good one. Turning right just up the road is. Someone cannot elect themselves to be a rolling block. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you don't sit at 70 in lane 3 of the motorway, you were only talking about the instance quoted. I just wanted to pick up on a point that doing the above will create confusion and frustration and people will undertake you. Sometimes illegally. New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #415335 11th Apr 2015 10:33am
Projectblue

England 
blackwolf wrote:
I am amazed/horrified/disgusted by the number of drivers nowadays (including emergency services drivers) who completely ignore solid white lines up the centre of the road when it suits them. There seems to be an epidemic of illegal, stupid, and dangerous overtaking.

Emergency service drivers can elect (and are trained to break) to ignore certain elements of the Highway Code in order to make progress. Of course should anything go wrong when they do, they are invariable automatically in the wrong. There is a fine line between an advanced trained driver making a calculated decision, and someone on their way back to knock off being sloppy Laughing New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #415336 11th Apr 2015 10:37am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Agreed, but emergency service drivers are NOT allowed to cross solid white lines, it is one of the things they cannot legally elect to do. They are only allowed to do so under the same conditions as any other motorist, ie if the carriageway is obstructed by a stationary object - anything moving, even at pedestrian speeds, is not legally an obstruction - or to turn off the carriageway.

ACPO guidlines in fact instruct ES drivers to turn off blues and twos when they encounter traffic on a carriageway with solids in order to try to stop the motorists in front from illegally pulling over and stopping. ACPO guidelines to motorists under these circumstances are to keep going normally, until the solids end, then to co-operate with the overtaking emergency vehicle.

I was once very nearly wiped out by an ambulance forced to overtake an ignorant fool who'd pulled up in solids just before a blind bend. Result 2.5 tonnes of Defender at 50mph and ambulance avoiding a head-on by inches. If we hadn't missed (but still survived) the ambo driver would probably have lost his licence/job, the patient would have presumably suffered, all because of of an "ordinary" motorist's ignorance and lack of imagination. I bet the car driver didn't know then and doesn't know now that what he did was dangerous and illegal, and would do it again!

It is an offence for a motorist to stop, pull over, or park on a carriageway with a solid line on the right or left of the traffic lane. Solid whites on the left of the traffic lane (edge markings or cycle lane markings etc) have exactly the same legal status as those on the right and no-one is allowed to cross them.
Post #415374 11th Apr 2015 12:50pm
Projectblue

England 
So, given that emergency vehicles can, like any other vehicle, cross solid white lines to get around an obstacle, should the vehicle in front of them stop within the solid white lines (which they shouldn't, but in experience or panic caused it) then they can pass around it, thus crossing the lines by choice. Clearly in your case they should have waited behind but nothing is ideal, and drivers try to cover everything but there is always something that pops up - that's how collisions between bluelight vehicles and other road users occur. New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #415408 11th Apr 2015 3:42pm
munch90

England 
you can cross double white lines to go pass anything 10mph or less
Post #415415 11th Apr 2015 4:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Project - Yeah, I would move over normally but in this instance I would have ran out of road. If I moved over I wouldn't have been able to move back due to traffic that would then overtake.
Different on a motorway as there is no turning off to the right.

The part that amuses me is the fact he undertook and then went back to the left lane anyway in about 500yards.
Why not just move over to the left and stay there as I was in the right.... It was coming up to a multilane roundabout anyway and he was going straight on thus left lane.

It didn't even add up what he was doing.

C'est la vie I guess lol.
If it'd been an emergency vehicle then I'd have definitely moved over regardless..
Post #415561 11th Apr 2015 10:24pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
When I was taught to drive, the odd decade or two ago, I was taught, emergency vehicles no lights on treat as a normal vehicle.

Emergency vehicles with lights on you give them maximum room possible.

Do not dither, do not change your mind be decisive and make sure that emergency vehicle driver knows what you are doing. If emergency vehicle is approaching from the rear move over as far as possible to left or right as it is safe to do so and put foot on brakes. That way emergency vehicle driver knows you are not about to move.

Emergency vehicle approaching from the front move over to near side as far as possible to give them maximum room to pass.

Safety is paramount, being decisive is important. An emergency vehicle in a minor prang ties up a lot of resources and means that what ever situation the emergency vehicle was responding to could worsen.

Drive safely and engage brain before engaging gear.

Brendan
Post #415628 12th Apr 2015 10:11am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Your last sentece sums it up Leeds !!!!!

If more drivers engaded there brain and concentrated more on what they where doing rather than others the roads would be alot nicer and safer place ! Todays blame culture has lead to the majority blaming others for there own incompetence, we all make mistakes, grow some admit and apologise, then we can all move on.
Post #415638 12th Apr 2015 10:39am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Why is that neighbours come and tell you that they thing that the fuel tank has a leak today when it is throwing it down when they have noticed it a few days ago when it was warm and dry. Then give you a strange look when you decline to got out in the rain, lay down and have a look. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #415658 12th Apr 2015 12:26pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I try my best to keep all my bills paid via the internet.

But it so annoys me when I wish to pay bill and I receive this message, 'Sorry! We're not able to show your bill and usage details at the moment as the website is undergoing maintenance'. Please try again later.

Bast*rds do you want my money or not, the next email I get is you have not paid your bill by the due date etc. etc.

What happened to the time you could pay your bill at the hight street offices of these multi national companies that are earning so much money they cannot be keep their web sites active.

Yes, I know you can pay at the post office if you want to stand in a queue for half an hour, and I know that you can pay by direct debit and leave your bank account open to these Tory led vultures who run energy companies that can take from your bank account more than you owe. Personally I wish things were the same before the government sold off all are energy companies on the cheap to make certain people rich. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #416971 18th Apr 2015 12:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 124 of 265 <123 ... 123124125 ... 263264265>