↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2014 Puma 90 noise from rear during coasting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landyman61

South Africa 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Tamar Blue
2014 Puma 90 noise from rear during coasting
Hi, my 2014 Puma 90 CSW has developed a noise that is coming from the rear, possible drive train related. Sounds like a harmonic rumble when coasting at about 60kph, goes away when I get back on the power. The dealers have replaced the rear diff, checked wheel bearings and rear drive shafts, no wear found. The diff that came out had visible wear on the gears. Changing it has not made any difference to the noise. I have 45,000 km on the clock, about half tread life on the original tyres, the dealer believes that the noise could be tyre related, saying a vibration could be causing a harmonic rumble through the rear diff? Has any one else had this problem & if so what was the fix. I am very reluctant to replace R20k worth of tyres based on an unproven assumption. They checked the rear prop shaft and found no wear in the UJ's. The noise almost sounds like backlash in the gear train?
Post #641874 4th Aug 2017 2:16pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Assuming its on standard rims/tyres and you have a new or lightly worn spare, why not ask the dealer to fit your spare wheel and a wheel of theirs and see if the noise goes away. Would it still be under warranty in South Africa ? If so, they should be trying to help trace the problem. Or even try swapping the front and rear tyres if the fronts aren't worn as far.
Post #641913 4th Aug 2017 6:47pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I have just had my transfer box replaced under warranty for the same thing - I have poor hearing and only noticed it when I had the radio tuned off ... there was a bearing gone in the unit and there was no quibble with the exchange (mine is a 2012 2.2 )
But we have the wrangler MT tyres on the newer 110, and these have a lot more road noise than BFG ATR’s that were fitted to the previous 110. Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #641916 4th Aug 2017 7:07pm
Landyman61

I have a new spare, LR are trying to get one more to try. I also want to swap front with rears. I am just not convinced that the noise is coming from the tyres. I reduced tyre pressure and it made no difference. This noise is mechanical, sounds like a rumble only when coasting. I am also inclined to think transfer box causing the vibration to travel down the prop shaft to the rear diff. LR were convinced it was the diff and replaced it under warranty. I think the next step is to get them to check further down the drive train towards the engine. It almost sounds like a mechanical version of a digeredoo! After nearly 40 years of operating high speed printing machines, I know a mechanical sound when I hear it. Very frustrating, spoiling what is an exceptional vehicle!
Post #641920 4th Aug 2017 7:26pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I can I make what sounds like a ridiculous suggestion.

Try strapping down with tie wraps the diff lock linkage. It sounded like the rear diff to me but it would appear it was the linkage rattling. It's an easy one to eliminate if nothing else.
Post #641926 4th Aug 2017 8:16pm
Landyman61

I will try that over the weekend. Would a problem in the transfer case resonate in the rear diff? What about wear in the output shaft? It's only when coasting between 50 & 60 kph, when under full power there is no noise or vibration other than the normal road noise etc.
Post #641934 4th Aug 2017 9:15pm
Deadeye

South Africa 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zambezi Silver
Hi there. Did you ever resolve this? I think I have something similar going on. When I am slowing down I have a speed related knocking coming from the rear. I have opened the rear diff, transfer box etc but no resolution. I also get a vibration when I hit around 80kmh. Not sure if the two are linked.
Post #710702 4th Jun 2018 11:16am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A knocking could be caused the handbrake shoes snatching the drum (a well-known problem with the TDCi). Try slackening off the handbrake adjuster (on the drum backplate) a few clicks and see if you still get the same problem.
Post #710715 4th Jun 2018 12:46pm
Landyman61

Yes, found the cause of the noise. Both rear tyres had wear on every second tread block on the inside of the wheel. Replaced both rear tyres & the noise was solved. The service guys at Land Rover really kept going until we solved this one, no knocking noise, just this harmonic rumble at certain speeds. They have advised that I rotate tyres more frequently to even out the wear.
Post #710765 4th Jun 2018 7:01pm
Landyman61

Deadeye, have you checked the UJ on the prop shaft for wear, the knock could be coming from the prop as you come off the power due to play or wear in the joint?
Post #710767 4th Jun 2018 7:05pm
Deadeye

South Africa 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zambezi Silver
Yes I have checked the UJ and changed them. Next trick is to change the prop shaft. Poor car had a hard life before I bought it so just trying to iron out all the creases! Land Rover service guys here are useless and cost the price of a new Landy just to look at it!
Post #712053 12th Jun 2018 3:28pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Landyman61 wrote:
Yes, found the cause of the noise. Both rear tyres had wear on every second tread block on the inside of the wheel. Replaced both rear tyres & the noise was solved. The service guys at Land Rover really kept going until we solved this one, no knocking noise, just this harmonic rumble at certain speeds. They have advised that I rotate tyres more frequently to even out the wear.

Can I ask what tyres you are running?

This is a very common phenomenon with KM2s, on which the small tread blocks on the inner shoulder always wear faster than the larger tread blocks.

Whilst is it fairly obvious why the smaller blocks wear faster, it is less clear why the inner shoulder wears faster than the outer which is perhaps counter-intuitive. On my 110, this happens on both front and rear axles, although faster on the front, and consequently rotating the tyres doesn't really help.

At the moment this uneven wear is causing horrible wheel-wobble through the steering which starts abruptly at dead-on 50mph and clear again at 60, the imbalance is clearly larger than my Dynabeads can compensate for. I am considering dumping a load more beads in to see if that can mitigate the wobble.

This uneven wear is accelerated by sustained high speed driving on tarmac, which is of course not the forte of a mud tyre.
Post #712063 12th Jun 2018 4:08pm
Will17will17

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
My 2.2 90 HT is in at the minute, similar knocking noise from the rear when accelerating or letting foot off the pedal, and crunching noise from gear box, following being repaired,

Steering U joint has free play
Excessive movement in A frame ball joint
Free play in both rear half shaft flanges
Free play in shaft between gearbox and transfer box

Hope this cures it, have you checked a-frame ball joint?

Will
Post #712255 13th Jun 2018 9:20pm
Landyman61

blackwolf wrote:
Landyman61 wrote:

Can I ask what tyres you are running?

This is a very common phenomenon with KM2s, on which the small tread blocks on the inner shoulder always wear faster than the larger tread blocks.

Whilst is it fairly obvious why the smaller blocks wear faster, it is less clear why the inner shoulder wears faster than the outer which is perhaps counter-intuitive. On my 110, this happens on both front and rear axles, although faster on the front, and consequently rotating the tyres doesn't really help.

At the moment this uneven wear is causing horrible wheel-wobble through the steering which starts abruptly at dead-on 50mph and clear again at 60, the imbalance is clearly larger than my Dynabeads can compensate for. I am considering dumping a load more beads in to see if that can mitigate the wobble.

This uneven wear is accelerated by sustained high speed driving on tarmac, which is of course not the forte of a mud tyre.

Have stuck to the original Goodyear Wrangler that it came with. Found that this 90 tends to wear the rear more than the front, I can see the fronts needing a change soon as well.
Post #712716 17th Jun 2018 2:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1