↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Roof tents
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Patriot roof rack without luggage rail?

No objection to drilling the slats on the Patriot rack?

Then yes you can fit it.

The only problem will occur if you do not have thin arms to reach under the roof rack.

It is possible to do by unclamping the roof rack, detach the ladder if need be, lift up back of the roof rack and you can reach under it to do nuts up.

HTH

Brendan
Post #159544 2nd Aug 2012 9:22pm
Ninetenths

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Thanks, rather not drill, might try clamping some unistrut to the slats - don't suppose you know centres of fixings? Pimped black '07 Puma
Equally Pimped Black Pick up Truck

Rollin deep
Post #159548 2nd Aug 2012 9:30pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
i have not fitted an Overland, however since it has a wooden base within reason you can drill the wooden base to suit.

If you need any more advice just ask and I will do my best to answer.

Brendan
Post #159551 2nd Aug 2012 9:37pm
Ninetenths

Ok thanks again Pimped black '07 Puma

Rollin deep
Post #159557 2nd Aug 2012 9:46pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
No problem in drill the patriot. Four small holes is all that's required, you won't even notice them. Had my Patriot and Howling Moon 1.4m tourer for 4 years great pieces of kit. 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #160826 8th Aug 2012 8:43pm
Ninetenths

As said drilling wasn't the problem, it transpired that fixing/unfixing the tarpaulin cover bungee to the securing hooks underneath was! Using timber spacer blocks raises the tent base off the roof rack and solves this. Pimped black '07 Puma

Rollin deep
Post #163979 23rd Aug 2012 4:27pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
My cheapskate rooftent will be in action this weekend ar Eastnor, it works for me and that is all that matters Thumbs Up If you're curious pop by the C4H stand.
Post #164021 23rd Aug 2012 7:35pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Well, our new HM will have its first outing over the coming week. Apparently it is going to be wet and windy. Oh joy!

Ah well, it will sort out any 'issues', help us learn techniques for windy and rainy conditions. If we can cope with the bad stuff anything else will be easy peeasy! Very Happy Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #164037 23rd Aug 2012 9:07pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Well, spent 4 nights in the Star Gazer last week and have to say I'm still pleased as punch! And as predicted had to endure some pretty nasty weather, but it was fine. The worst of the wind was the flapping noises from the fly sheet, the tent itself was very stable! Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #166714 6th Sep 2012 3:38pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
still not tried my airtop out, plan to try it on the London to Brighton in a few weeks time, I should have the insulation completed by then too Thumbs Up

I don't think i will be needing the d2 air heater though
Post #166965 8th Sep 2012 7:26am
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
eezi awn
our eezi awn is surplus to requirements now we have brought an afrispoor.

Click image to enlarge
Post #172450 1st Oct 2012 4:15pm
216lcg

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Guys, I have on order a Howling Moon stargazer 1.4m roof tent and have been pondering the best way to fit this to my 90 csw XS. I won't be carrying anything else on top but the tent so was thinking of using just roof bars. I have an overhead crane in my workshop so my thougths are to lift the tent and rails off in one go, leaving the roof rails attached to the tent base. Firstly does anyone have ant thoughts if this is a sensible option and secondly can anyone recommend some suitable roof bars. I was thinking i would need 3 of these. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Post #174821 11th Oct 2012 12:37pm
chopcat

216lcg wrote:
Guys, I have on order a Howling Moon stargazer 1.4m roof tent and have been pondering the best way to fit this to my 90 csw XS. I won't be carrying anything else on top but the tent so was thinking of using just roof bars. I have an overhead crane in my workshop so my thougths are to lift the tent and rails off in one go, leaving the roof rails attached to the tent base. Firstly does anyone have ant thoughts if this is a sensible option and secondly can anyone recommend some suitable roof bars. I was thinking i would need 3 of these. Thanks in advance for any advice.

The thing to think about is where you are going with it. We found that the pounding our defender took with just a roof rack (loaded with roof tent etc) bolted to the gutters in morocco started to lift the roof section at the front corners. Hence some nice extra leaks.

The solution was to go for a roll cage and mount the roof rack to that.

Obviously if you expect less shaking about a gutter mounted rack or bars might work.
Post #174916 11th Oct 2012 8:46pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
216lcg wrote:
I have an overhead crane in my workshop so my thougths are to lift the tent and rails off in one go, leaving the roof rails attached to the tent base. Firstly does anyone have ant thoughts if this is a sensible option

Bow down Thumbs Up At the L2B last weekend we were discussing the merits of such a system. Great system and will be looking to set up a similar system soon.

chopcat wrote:
We found that the pounding our defender took with just a roof rack (loaded with roof tent etc) bolted to the gutters in morocco started to lift the roof section at the front corners.

What sort of roof rack were you using, we use a Patriot and have no problems with the roof. The patriot uses full length supports to spread the load along the full length of the gutter. Roof bars distribute the loads through each point of contact therefore place a lot of stress on those points. Might have been the type of roof rack / bars more than the weight of tent. 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #174928 11th Oct 2012 9:03pm
chopcat

Landlord wrote:
216lcg wrote:
I have an overhead crane in my workshop so my thougths are to lift the tent and rails off in one go, leaving the roof rails attached to the tent base. Firstly does anyone have ant thoughts if this is a sensible option

Bow down Thumbs Up At the L2B last weekend we were discussing the merits of such a system. Great system and will be looking to set up a similar system soon.

chopcat wrote:
We found that the pounding our defender took with just a roof rack (loaded with roof tent etc) bolted to the gutters in morocco started to lift the roof section at the front corners.

What sort of roof rack were you using, we use a Patriot and have no problems with the roof. The patriot uses full length supports to spread the load along the full length of the gutter. Roof bars distribute the loads through each point of contact therefore place a lot of stress on those points. Might have been the type of roof rack / bars more than the weight of tent.

FrontRunner.
Post #174932 11th Oct 2012 9:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>