↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Jack advice for upcoming trip.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Welkman

United Kingdom 
Jack advice for upcoming trip.
Hi,

I have the standard Td5 highlift style jack in my 2005 defender. Should I think about chucking the trolley jack in the back for a pyranees traverse or would you recommend a proper hi lift ? Hopefully I will get through without needing to resort to a jack but I would rather be prepared.
Post #639732 25th Jul 2017 9:24pm
Panda

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Fuji White
Hi Welkman

As long as the jack does the job. I would recommend an air bag jack fed from the exhaust fumes in the interest of safety. Have a chat with Richard at RST, he will be able to help. Thumbs Up

I have an off-road base for a high-lift going spare if you need one, never used.

(sorry its a Toy o ta ) Monty-2015 2.2 110 XS Puma Station Wagon
Yoda Disco 3-Sold
Larry Disco 1-Sold
Muddly XS 90 TDCI-Sold
Pearl Disco 2-Sold
Larry Disco 1-didn't want too but sold

Last edited by Panda on 25th Jul 2017 9:45pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #639736 25th Jul 2017 9:39pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
For changing wheels (flat tyre) a bottle jack and some wood blocks is most useful, while a (proper) high lift jack may get you out of trouble if you're stuck somewhere ...
I carry both... Wink Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #639738 25th Jul 2017 9:41pm
Sadi

Namibia 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Bottle jack very nice to use as you you do not need to lift the whole suspension in order to lift the wheel. Also compact, lighter and safer.

Same with air jack - more bulky but lighter (than HL jack) - and you use exhaust power to do the work. But you lift the suspension.

Old OEM high lift jack - bulky, heavy and slow - but easier mechanism than farm-style HL Jack.

Last 2 - should you choose - also practice with them at home - especially the ratchet mechanism on the farm style jack. (prone to dirt and subsequent recalcitrance/stickiness)

Also practice with air jack - if chosen.

For me - bottle jack upright in a transparent plastic 40L ammo style case in the back - together with chocks and other emergency-/recovery stuff - and air jack in custom cover on the roof rack. (more for getting out of stuck situations in sand/mud/etc. - not for changing tyre)
Post #639774 25th Jul 2017 11:50pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Welkman, I have done many trips abroad and have NEVER had to use a Hi Lift jack in anger!

A good bottle jack, best stored upright or a penny washer over filler plug taped on to avoid loss of oil.

Casting out of ruts? Either back off or carry a good quality shovel.

Never carried an exhaust jack.

Brendan
Post #639796 26th Jul 2017 7:40am
Thon

United Kingdom 
The standard wind-up jack is good for changing wheels at the side of a road, and if that's all you intend doing then stick with it. It's simple, easy and reliable.

If however you want a jack that can be used for many functions including that, then the hi-lift does that, if not brilliantly at least functionally. The problem I found with the hi-lift is storage - if you want to keep it inside the vehicle and not be hit by it in the event of an accident.

I carry a 4 foot Genuine Hi-Lift, with the adaptor for Defenders (round bar section for fitting into jacking points, rock sliders), which is also suitable for my Penman trailer, secured using a Nakatenga fitting bracket that uses the space under the 2nd row seats:

Adaptor: https://www.nakatanenga.de/en/optional-equ...mber=AD-WH

Bracket: https://www.nakatanenga.de/zubehoer/innena...r-110?c=12

I would suggest if you do go for a hi-lift that you do some trial lifts with it too, as they take some getting used to, and the consequences of getting it wrong can be severe. I've used a hi-lift for decades, mostly for changing wheels, but on occasion for casting a vehicle out of ruts, which it does quite nicely but as Brendan says, probably safer to use a shovel!
Post #639807 26th Jul 2017 9:18am
custom90

United Kingdom 
A hi lift or equivalent is perfectly safe if treated with due care and respect.
They have more versatility than a bottle jack hence often used.
But of course in typical situation a bottle jack is quicker and easier to use.

My biggest annoyance with hi lifts is the time it takes to jack up, and just as long to lower. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #639826 26th Jul 2017 11:19am
Welkman

United Kingdom 
Thanks for all the replies ! I think I might go with the standard defender jack and chuck my trolley jack in for this trip to save a bit of cost. So far prepping for extended travel has hit the wallet quite hard ! Rebuild of transfer box, twin batteries, fridge, full service and I decided to add a madman engine monitor.

I am hoping to have everything fairly secure in the back ratchet strapped down in boxes.
Post #639851 26th Jul 2017 12:58pm
Welkman

United Kingdom 
I will have a go with the defender jack before I leave to make sure it works. I do have a different bumper and steering guard which might get in the way.
Post #639852 26th Jul 2017 12:59pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If I was doing a trip like that I would take the standard Defender bottle jack only, if I was predominantly on tarmac. If I was expecting to be off-road for a significant time then I would also take a proper HiLift, since it is such a useful and versatile tools, and is much better that a bottle jack on soft or difficult surfaces.

I would not bother with the Landrover bumper jack abomination, since I think it is barely fit for purpose - a scrap skip is the best place for that thing - get a bottle jack instead!

I wlso wouldn't bother with a trolley jack, they are big, heavy, difficult to carry safely and securely in the vehicle (you really don't want it flying about in an accident) and they are generally not suitable for use on many surfaces. Even on good tarmac, the jack will sink in the ground, so you would also need a board to place it on. If you are the AA man, it is useful to have. If you are not, then it takes up space, weighs down the vehicle, and is more likely to be unsuitab;e than a bottle jack when you need it anyway.

HiLift jacks if used foolishly or by incompetents can hurt and cause damage (the jack itself is entirely safe, it's the user who sometimes is not), and are invaluable if off the beaten track. I carry a 4-foot one in the vehicle at all times and keep it secured to the front mounting points of the secodn row seats (110 DC) where it is out of the way, doesn't impede tipping the seats, and is kept clean and secure.
Post #639863 26th Jul 2017 1:42pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
HiLift jacks if used foolishly or by incompetents can hurt and cause damage (the jack itself is entirely safe, it's the user who sometimes is not

I'll second that. The closest I have ever knowingly been to losing my life was when I was foolishly using a high lift jack on the rear cross member of a Series II on a sloping yard. The rear end was completely off the ground when it rolled back on the front wheels. This caused the jack to lose grip on the cross member and fly backwards as the full weight of the landy slid down the frame of the jack. It missed my head by a fraction of an inch. Lesson learned big time.
Post #639895 26th Jul 2017 4:07pm
Welkman

United Kingdom 
wow - sounds very close!

The route is about 600km of tracks in the pyranees. Hopefully I can source a hi lift from somewhere overnight.
Post #639954 26th Jul 2017 8:36pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
RECOVERY FROM THICK MUD. A new way of doing it!
I little long winded but some excellent old footage showing why a hi lift jack is useful, also note the alternative use of a steel wheel...not sure I would want to do that with an alloy...

Post #694932 20th Mar 2018 4:23pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Bottle jack and hi lift

Practice with both and take chocks Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #694951 20th Mar 2018 6:13pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i use a bottle jack and base plate made from a piece of old waffle board

and then if i know im going places ill need more variety i would take my hi lift jack.

no point in the std jack apart from tarmac and no need to have any size of trolley jack small or large kicking about the back of the motor.
Post #695052 20th Mar 2018 10:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>