↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Am I missing something in Birminghams response
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Am I missing something in Birminghams response
Just been reading about Birmingham and its issue with cruises. I see that they have got a high court injunction banning such things. Does that not just drive their problem underground making it harder to deal with? Would it not be more appropriate to provide a facility away from residential areas to let people have a little release in an environment that can be monitored for the really serious excesses? Or am I being too liberal and progressive? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #639556 25th Jul 2017 6:43am
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Seems to be the answer to everything nowadays, let's just ban it!
Post #639559 25th Jul 2017 7:34am
lambert.the.farmer

Can that be extended to those who actively seek to be local politicians? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #639560 25th Jul 2017 7:40am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
i concur , they have all those empty car parks by the NEC they could charge for attendance, put on some food and entertainment
and perhaps do a few events such as best modified, best ICE etc etc

police the access roads well and hey presto got to be worth a try DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #639664 25th Jul 2017 5:32pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Have I missed a relocation of Birmingham to a costal location? I cannot see how anyone one could get a Cruise liner near to Birmingham so why have they band cruises.? Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #639668 25th Jul 2017 5:40pm
MaxRPM

England 
They use the canals of couse!
Post #639670 25th Jul 2017 5:51pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
You mean people take cruises around Birmingham. Is this a new sexual practice? Shocked
Post #639678 25th Jul 2017 6:22pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I have 'cruised' the canals of Birmingham.

The only thing I managed to pick up was an old tyre and a load of discarded plastic round the prop of the narrowboat

Whistle

That is a tad cruel as the backwaters away from Brindley Place (Birmingham's Disney World) are an amazing history of industry and metal bashing. Well that is until the developers turn those same backwaters into des-res (and all probably lease hold)

As for the real 'cruises', can't they pay for a track day like everyone else has to? There is a time and a place for everything.
Post #639699 25th Jul 2017 7:26pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Scoobeenut wrote:
Seems to be the answer to everything nowadays, let's just ban it!

Yes and criminalise and it's wrong!

Only brummies get obsessed with canals...it's never going to be Venice Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Mike
Post #639733 25th Jul 2017 9:33pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I'm not a Brummie....... but I quite like canals.

Brum. More canals than Venice. I thought I'd get that in before the rest of the population #yawn#

I don't believe Venice gets too many issues with fast cars but it was said by Francesco Da Mosto (the only famous Venetian alive that I know of), the only thing the gets the fear of God into an Italian is a Venician behind a car wheel.

Now if you got a small enough cruise ship, take it from the Atlantic and up the River Severn, Gloucester and Sharpness Canal, River Severn to Diglis Lock, Birmingham and Worcester Canal, up Tardebigge Locks (70ft x 7ft, hope that Cruise Ship is not too big, also a few tunnels to negotiate, not too high either) you will end up in the centre of our second city. So not entirely impossible, just highly improbable.

It also worth noting that a trip on the Birmingham Canal Navigations is a lot better value for money than a Gondola in Venice. I have done both £7.50 for the first, 90 Euros for the second (few years ago, mind). Now if you are trying to pop the question to your loved one, or impress the other half in your life, may I suggest Venice and the Rialto Bridge than perhaps Birmingham, Smethwick Locks or Telford's New Cut?
Post #639750 25th Jul 2017 10:07pm
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
I took my wife to Devizes to look at the locks and canals,we had already married 22 years earlier so she knew what she was in for !
Post #639760 25th Jul 2017 10:48pm
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Sorry just been told it was 24 year earlier !!
Post #639761 25th Jul 2017 10:50pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Re: Am I missing something in Birminghams response
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
Just been reading about Birmingham and its issue with cruises. I see that they have got a high court injunction banning such things. Does that not just drive their problem underground making it harder to deal with? Would it not be more appropriate to provide a facility away from residential areas to let people have a little release in an environment that can be monitored for the really serious excesses? Or am I being too liberal and progressive?

Sunderland had a right old crack down with cruises and boyracers around about 10 years ago, the police really did come down hard with people with noisy exhausts, they used to "tour around sunderland town centre" Also some used to race up and down with the coast too. Which the police again cracked down on too, so its been a long process really.
As soon as the police started with the noise from the exhausts, it all dried up very quickly. But its all down to the idiots that spoil it, which makes it harder for car clubs to have a local meet up in a car park and have a bite to eat.
When I used to sort out the 306 meets for the north east, I just used to pick a quiet corner of a retail car park and that was it.
no trouble at all, chat, took photos, had a bite to eat chat again and we all went home.
We did see a few people drive around wheel spinning etc, but they were been well watched by security cameras. we just used to laugh at them.

I remember one southern 306 meet was nearly told to move on, when they had met up at a local industrial estate.
Someone had rang the police stating that they were driving erratically or something, 5 police vehicles turned up and they went through every one of their cars, looking for anything! They let the lads stay though only due to the fact it was car club, but give them a warning about the crack down. So most meets like that now are now a thing of the past and most just catch up at planned events. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #639776 26th Jul 2017 12:23am
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Rashers wrote:
I'm not a Brummie....... but I quite like canals.

Brum. More canals than Venice. I thought I'd get that in before the rest of the population #yawn#

I don't believe Venice gets too many issues with fast cars but it was said by Francesco Da Mosto (the only famous Venetian alive that I know of), the only thing the gets the fear of God into an Italian is a Venician behind a car wheel.

Now if you got a small enough cruise ship, take it from the Atlantic and up the River Severn, Gloucester and Sharpness Canal, River Severn to Diglis Lock, Birmingham and Worcester Canal, up Tardebigge Locks (70ft x 7ft, hope that Cruise Ship is not too big, also a few tunnels to negotiate, not too high either) you will end up in the centre of our second city. So not entirely impossible, just highly improbable.

It also worth noting that a trip on the Birmingham Canal Navigations is a lot better value for money than a Gondola in Venice. I have done both £7.50 for the first, 90 Euros for the second (few years ago, mind). Now if you are trying to pop the question to your loved one, or impress the other half in your life, may I suggest Venice and the Rialto Bridge than perhaps Birmingham, Smethwick Locks or Telford's New Cut?

Venetians are also trying to ban cruises, and I can see why. Some of these 🚢 are enormous.
I love the place.

Click image to enlarge

(The Rialto's a bit crowded for popping the question though)
Post #639783 26th Jul 2017 5:35am
lambert.the.farmer

Birmingham has canals? Wink

Any logical way of looking at this and a myriad of other similar things like green laning or hand guns for example suggests that criminalisation doesn't stop the minority of people who are determined to go too far but it does penalise the majority whom took a degree of pleasure from the activities without causing a problem to anyone else. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #639790 26th Jul 2017 6:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>