↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > A Plea For Advice From Dog Owners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
need4speed

A Plea For Advice From Dog Owners
I'm worried sick as I write this so please bare with me here if I'm a little long-winded.

We have very noisy kids around us just now. They constantly run around chasing each other screaming and shouting at the tops of there voices.
This distresses our Samson as he thinks that one kid is trying to hurt the other and he barks and cries. And believe me a big Akita is hard to ignore when he's distressed.
Anyway to cut a long story short after enduring screaming kids / crying Akita for 4 hours I could take no more and I politely asked the kids to go and play in the swing park that they have at the end of the street. Which surprisingly they actually did.

However. Later in the evening there is a chap at our door. One of the kids is standing there with his dad. He asks me did I ask the kids to go to the park etc. I said yes I asked them nicely and they did. To this I get a tirade of abuse and a false accusation that I had told his son if they didn't move I would set my dog on them! He then says that he's going to have my Samson confiscated from us!

I am both disgusted and worried in equal measure. Mainly because I am a responsible dog owner and NEVER walk Samson off lead because of his intimidating size. Even though all our immediate neighbours know he is a big gentle giant and would more likely lick you to death. Also our vet knows Samsons character and knows he would never hurt anyone.

I am aware that this moron has no grounds to have Samson confiscated, but these days you here of police taking dangerous dogs away without much reason.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm losing sleep at the thought of our boy being taken away...

Click image to enlarge
 4.6 RV8 110HT
Post #638261 18th Jul 2017 5:08pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Not a nice story, I can imagine your worry as we all know which side the police will fall on! Hopefully, it is nothing and will blow over. I just wonder if you're that worried if it would be worth a polite call to the local police station to report the incident? Get in their first, so to speak.

Also, have you tried playing a radio in the house constantly as back ground noise? It may make Samson less bothered by other noises.

Good luck. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #638263 18th Jul 2017 5:16pm
need4speed

Thank you for the speedy reply James. Yes I was considering having a polite word with the police. Just wanted the advice of the collective on here first to get different opinions first. 4.6 RV8 110HT
Post #638272 18th Jul 2017 5:37pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Firstly, are the kids now a permenant fixture in the area? If not the matter is unlikely to go any further. If they are likely to be living in the area long term then as above a call to the local station may be wise (although the matter is unlikely to go further anyway) it lets the police know that the kids are causing a noise problem. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #638273 18th Jul 2017 5:42pm
Outlaw1

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
+1 Good advice James,totally agree about a quite word with the police
Perhaps if it is possible you could introduce samson to them and educate at the same time
Post #638275 18th Jul 2017 5:45pm
Stripygitface

Obviously a cause for concern, however no doubt you have pointed out to the parent the actual facts, and hopefully they are intelligent enough to take this on board, and deal with their child.
If however the police do get involved they will take all of the facts into consideration, and it will not necessarily end with the dog being taken away. I have recently been involved with a situation where a pack of dogs were chasing our sheep, 2 of the dogs attacked and bit somebody badly enough the break the skin and draw blood, witnessed by the owner who at that point had appeared. We thought both offences together should be strong enough evidence to have the dogs destroyed, the police gave the caravan dwelling owner a caution!
Post #638279 18th Jul 2017 6:04pm
stigomery

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
I'm not sure if approaching the police first is a great idea as why raise an issue if it has not become an issue (yet). The police are not going to take any different a stance if you get to them first, they don't know you or your dog.

Fact is, the dog has not attacked anyone therefore it's his word against yours and the accusation of an aggrieved child.

Personally I'd get my ducks in a row, understand the situation fully from any of the non aggrieved children and deal with it if it comes up. (Edit, I misread and assumed you knew the children... regardless I'd not be running to the police too quickly however if noise/abuse does become an issue I'd be down there reporting it)

A friend was walking her dog locally and a known aggressive dog was also being walked, the two tangled, my friend's dog accidentally mouthed the other dog's owner as he tried to pull them apart. She is now restricted to lead-only walking of her dog (a blooming cuddly lab!!!) and the other dog, a husky type breed who has attacked my own dog is still roaming free...
Justice that is not!

Sorry to hear about your predicament.
Post #638280 18th Jul 2017 6:09pm
Baz8046

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Sorry to hear your news.
It can be awkward when you fall out with neighbours and it's not nice to be falsely accused.
I wouldn't worry about this too much.
Nothing actually happened so it is only an alleged threat that your neighbour can't back up.
I don't think the police would be interested and they would certainly ask you for your side of the story.
Hopefully it will just blow over. Defender Td5 Commercial 2002
Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE 2005
Discovery 4 SDV6 Landmark 2016
Post #638312 18th Jul 2017 9:27pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Bit late now, but next time, if there is one, when you need to ask the kids to move, video it on a smartphone... This will give you evidence to show the parents.

Tough one really though, as much as I love dogs (and HATE kids), the kids have every much of right to be outside playing as your dog does to have some peace and quiet, some would say more so.
Post #638314 18th Jul 2017 9:31pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Don't worry about confiscation.

We had a problem with a neighbour years ago who got RSPCA and Police involved. They can tell pretty quickly if there is an issue. There wasn't with us and there isn't with you.

Just had a moaning whinging neighbour round a couple of weeks ago (not about our dogs) but it really upset me as I don't go out trying to upset people who live round me. Just the one complaint. No one else. Just wants to make a point.

I would also find out who your local neighbourhood policeman is and have a quiet word about your concerns and the accusation. Parenting is worryingly aggressive these days. Just look at kids sporting events.

Please don't worry. I know that doesn't help much.
Post #638319 18th Jul 2017 9:46pm
need4speed

Thanks guys for all your thoughts on this. It has set my mind at ease.

I didn't go to the local police station as it happened. Not because I didn't think it was a good idea but my partner thought it was best to see if it went further first.

Also, a close friend of mine reckoned that, seeing as the incident happened last night, if the moronic neighbour had made an accusation to the police they would have been round by now. Especially seeing how hot they are on the dangerous dogs act these days.

Fingers crossed it has blown over... 4.6 RV8 110HT
Post #638321 18th Jul 2017 10:03pm
Lateralus

United States 
Next time you see the dad outside ask him to come over and talk. Tell him to keep his rugrats under control and then urinate on his shoe to show him your the dominate one.
Post #638361 19th Jul 2017 4:30am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
We had a similar issue of a parent trying to give me abuse about me threatening his boy with my dog, right up until I pointed out that his child had deliberately crashed through my hedge into my back garden and that my dog was an aging springer who was more likely to fart on someone than savage them.

Also I am increasingly noticing that many parents especially of younger kids don't seem to be able to restran their kids from petting my cat or dog without asking me if it is safe or appropriate. Makita has had a few very near misses when out and about in my arms when kids and even adults have just reached out for him. Sorry not my fault, you startled my cat and he defended himself, what did you think would happen? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #638362 19th Jul 2017 5:27am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Well that was a great lesson mutton head gave his brat offspring to ensure his moronic attitudes are passed onto the next generation. Rolling Eyes If anything requires taking away its the brat. Evil or Very Mad Why is there's not compulsory parenting lessons in the UK, its so clearly needed. Pass a test and then you can breed, fail and get the snip. Thumbs Up

BTW, I'd be wary about videoing them, that could and probably will be twisted into something far worse by the parents and you wont want that.
Post #638401 19th Jul 2017 9:52am
Capt_Steve

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
What a lovely looking boy your Samson is.

I have a situation where my boy, a 3 year old Rottweiler, doesn't like the postman driving up to the gate, getting out in his hi-vis jacket and approaching the postbox. Now our vet, friends and family will say until they are blue in the face that he is the softest dog you could wish for, but we have had two visits from the Royal Mail HSE department telling us to move the box further away, raise the gate and all fencing to five foot otherwise they would no longer deliver. Whilst that was easily done, what was pointed out to us was that our boy was jumping around on his two back legs and getting himself into a state, which obviously isn't good for him. So I have someone that is going to do some training with my boy when I get home, and he assures me that it wouldn't take much to get him over the postman problem. Now, not knowing how often you have the brat problem, four hours is a long time for a dog to be stressed, and I wonder if you can seek help from a local trainer to teach him to not bother whilst the brats are within ear shot. This could save you a drama if he was to ever get out, and actually approach any of the brats he thinks is in trouble.

Cheers

Steve
Post #638424 19th Jul 2017 11:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>