↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > A Plea For Advice From Dog Owners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
“… I politely asked the kids to go and play in the swing park that they have at the end of the street. Which surprisingly they actually did”

You don’t mention whether or not you were accompanied by Samson when you did this?

If not, no real problem. If yes, then I can perhaps understand why “this moron” thought you were using a dog to intimidate the kids…

Peter
Post #638428 19th Jul 2017 10:29am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
The law now is that the dog does not have to have done anything wrong - the person just needs to 'feel' threatened.
Someone suggested filming yourself speaking to the problem kids - great way to go straight on the sex offenders register.

Get membership of Dog's Trust - it provides you with some excellent legal cover for situations just like this.
Post #638430 19th Jul 2017 10:33am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Capt_Steve wrote:
... doesn't like the postman driving up to the gate, getting out in his hi-vis jacket and approaching the postbox....

Out of interest, how does he react (do you know) if the postie isn't wearing hi-vis?
Post #638435 19th Jul 2017 10:59am
Capt_Steve

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Blackwolf,

I don't know how he would react without the jacket. It will be interesting to see when the trainer comes round.

I will let you know.

Steve
Post #638440 19th Jul 2017 11:16am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
AMBxx wrote:
Someone suggested filming yourself speaking to the problem kids - great way to go straight on the sex offenders register.

It was me... so why would you go "straight onto the sex offenders register" then, just for filming for your own safety and honest view of what happened?

Maybe YOU need to adjust how you hold a camera when kids are present then if it makes you look like a perv Rolling Eyes
Post #638492 19th Jul 2017 6:16pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Unfortunately this is everything that is wrong with the uk...to many people think they have an opinion that matters at the expense of others, too many people can't just exist and work stuff out, no common sense and too much h&s ... certainly not enough tolerance! Mike
Post #638544 19th Jul 2017 11:22pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Stripygitface wrote:
Obviously a cause for concern, however no doubt you have pointed out to the parent the actual facts, and hopefully they are intelligent enough to take this on board, and deal with their child.
If however the police do get involved they will take all of the facts into consideration, and it will not necessarily end with the dog being taken away. I have recently been involved with a situation where a pack of dogs were chasing our sheep, 2 of the dogs attacked and bit somebody badly enough the break the skin and draw blood, witnessed by the owner who at that point had appeared. We thought both offences together should be strong enough evidence to have the dogs destroyed, the police gave the caravan dwelling owner a caution!

My parents had a pair of dogs attack their flock. We didn't hesitate and simply shot the pair with a 243. Mum reported the incident to the police and when they came around they implied if we'd simply have reported it that they wouldn't have been able to do much apart from caution them. However they asked us to get the vet in to assess the rest of that part of the flock. Along with the 10 killed and a further 5 put down the police were extremely helpful and despite us knowing the owners said they'd deal with everything so if there was any abuse they'd get it not us. They made sure all loses were covered from the value of the sheep to all bills, including all the fuel for various people having to come over.

So getting the police involved is not necessarily a bad thing, but they can have their hands tied quite often. Ours were superb. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #638779 21st Jul 2017 12:16pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I love dogs and can feel your worry about confiscation. Though I doubt this will happen as there are no real grounds on the face of it.

However, and I say this only on the adage there are two sides to every story: Children by their very nature are noisy and while playing become excited and even noisier, it is not the children’s fault that you’re dog becomes stressed at the children’s noise and actions. Perhaps you could remove the dog to another room while the children are playing outside where he is not aware of what is happening outside.

From the fathers perspective and I say this without knowing the persons character I can see why he may be annoyed at your actions, and while you say you politely asked his children to play elsewhere as a father he could possibly believe that by asking these children to go and play away from their immediate surrounding (because they are upsetting your dog) they could be placed in further danger, did the children inform their parents or guardian they were going to the swing park and the reasons for doing so?

As for being accused of using your dog to threaten the children, whether the dog accompanied you or not, (as the children know you have a big dog), is a difficult one should the authorities be notified as it becomes your word against another, and though as you say your dog is loving and gentle that does not matter if a complaint of you using the animal as a threat is raised.

I only use the above as the other side of the story, the only way to resolve this issue and hopefully it will just blow over without any action being taken, is perhaps to try and train your dog to ignore what is stressing him and make a training game of it with the children, obviously with the parents’ consent, so that in time your dog will see the enjoyment the children are having and realise there is no cause for him to be alarmed. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #638793 21st Jul 2017 1:01pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I wonder if the dad was upset with the kids for playing "out of bounds" and so they kind of embellished the story to cover their own backsides? Wouldn't be the first time... 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #639090 23rd Jul 2017 7:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12