↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 Oil pressure warning light operation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
4wd-junky

United Kingdom 
My paranoia about this all started when I read about PCJ problems in early 2.4 engines, which I have. But I guess if it was going to blow, it would have before now. Mr. Green
Post #638204 18th Jul 2017 10:31am
Thon

United Kingdom 
Mine's of the same era I believe - 2007 - so I suppose it's as likely to go as yours, but I don't tend to worry unduly about it I must admit.

I'm currently over 1000 miles away from home, and it needs to transport me and my family back to the UK in a couple of weeks, but I keep it well serviced and drive it sensibly, plus have very comprehensive breakdown insurance!
Post #638206 18th Jul 2017 10:48am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As the owner of a 2007 myself, I queried the PCJ issue with a friendly LR tech some time ago (I was concerned that the TSB had expired, so now if you suffer complete engine destruction from PCJ malfunction you are on your own), and his reply was that the nature of the problem meant that if you were going to experience it, you would have done by now. An engine that has been running without the PCJ problem for 10 years is an engine that doesn't have sticky PCJs.

I was a little reassured, but it remains in the back of my mind!
Post #638213 18th Jul 2017 12:00pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Thanks Blackwolf - good to know, and even better that it came from a technician, not from the service manager.

Seems much more believable somehow.
Post #638215 18th Jul 2017 12:06pm
ROBBONTHEROCK

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Firenze Red
blackwolf wrote:
As the owner of a 2007 myself, I queried the PCJ issue with a friendly LR tech some time ago (I was concerned that the TSB had expired, so now if you suffer complete engine destruction from PCJ malfunction you are on your own), and his reply was that the nature of the problem meant that if you were going to experience it, you would have done by now. An engine that has been running without the PCJ problem for 10 years is an engine that doesn't have sticky PCJs.

Totally agree.

If it was ever an issue, after 10years of running on your motor it would have done it by now.

Even if the motor is mileage young at say 50k, it should still have manifested itself as a fault by now.

Cheers
Andy

PS I have a 2.4, on 80k miles now, and had the same concerns, but have since talked myself happy Smile
Post #638217 18th Jul 2017 12:28pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
err, what's a PCK+J? --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #638218 18th Jul 2017 12:30pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
http://www.defender2.net/forum/post331817.html

Piston cooling jets apparently.
Post #638221 18th Jul 2017 12:41pm
4wd-junky

United Kingdom 
After I bought my 2.4, a local indy scared the life out of me by saying buying an early 2.4 is a lottery. But he did say if its not using oil or breathing heavily when you pull the breather pipe, it's probably ok.

As you say blackwolf they weren't all bad, I even know a one owner 90 CSW 2.4 with over 200K miles and it's never gave any trouble and was only serviced by the owner which I think is might be the secret to keeping them going.

Thon, I was out in mine this morning and I can confirm I have identical oil pressure warning light characteristics to yours ..... it's weird how the glow plug operation can cause a delay in the oil light.
Post #638224 18th Jul 2017 12:49pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
ROBBONTHEROCK wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

Totally agree.

If it was ever an issue, after 10years of running on your motor it would have done it by now.

Even if the motor is mileage young at say 50k, it should still have manifested itself as a fault by now.

Cheers
Andy

PS I have a 2.4, on 80k miles now, and had the same concerns, but have since talked myself happy Smile

Mine is on 42K so just a baby, but i'm figuring that the likely triggers to activating the problem that the jets experience (cold starts & high oil pressure) would have manifested itself when it was new: (highest oil pressure) and living in Cumbria (cold) in a lean-to (slightly less cold). Very Happy
Post #638225 18th Jul 2017 12:50pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
[quote="4wd-junky"... I even know a one owner 90 CSW 2.4 with over 200K miles and it's never gave any trouble and was only serviced by the owner which I think is might be the secret to keeping them going.
...[/quote]

Mine is now over 220k miles, serviced by the owner (me!). Thumbs Up

There are plenty of things to worry about on all Landrovers, if you are the worrying type. Cracked heads on the TD5, output adaptor shafts on the TDCi, variable displacement oil pump on the 2.2, etc., etc. They all have their strengths and weakenesses (front swivel hubs falling off is a good one, too).

Best not to worry, take it as it comes.

However to say that buying an early 2.4 "is a lottery" is pretty stupid, very few vehicles actually had PCJ problems. There are also plenty of things other than PCJs whcih can cause a smokey motor, such as turbo seals/bearings. I would be rather disinclined to use an Indy who displayed this kind of judgement (although I suppose he may be softening you up to give you a bill for a new engine)!
Post #638226 18th Jul 2017 12:59pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
If you are that way inclined, there's always something to worry about if you own a Defender, whichever one it may be.

The list of potential catastrophic failures is long and well documented should one choose to torture oneself with it.

I chose life instead Smile
Post #638232 18th Jul 2017 1:24pm
4wd-junky

United Kingdom 
Thanks blackwolf, good to hear 220K is possible Thumbs Up

I agree with you about the indy's comments, but he's just the sort that gives you his opinion no matter how bad.

Also from the manual, it appears the glow plug light going out should be used as a signal to start the engine. Laughing
Has anyone ever noticed the glow plug light not coming on when hot?

Glow Plugs Active Indicator
The glow plugs active indicator is illuminated by the instrument cluster software on receipt of a high speed CAN bus message from the ECM. The indicator illuminates in an amber color when the ignition is turned to position II. The indicator illumination period varies with ECT and if ECT is high, will not illuminate.

The indicator is controlled by high speed CAN bus messages from the ECM, which equate to the time the glow plugs are energized to pre-heat the combustion chambers. When the glow plug heating time is complete, the indicator is extinguished indicating to the driver that the engine can now be started.
Post #638233 18th Jul 2017 1:27pm
hornet

Re: 2.4 Oil pressure warning light operation
4wd-junky wrote:
Hello again Very Happy

Can anyone please explain exactly how the Oil pressure warning light on a 2.4 operates?

Click image to enlarge

It might help changing it, there may be a problem with the "membrane" of yours. You could use a switch that operates close to 1barg or .8barg as long as it is an opener, the oilpressure is about 1.2barg when warm and in idle. Due to the length of the genuine one, I mounted a Hella 6ZL003259-321. Attention: The genuine one has a 1/4-18 NPT-thread!
Post #638247 18th Jul 2017 3:39pm
hornet

dorsetsmith wrote:
if you think have problem use oil presser gage and check the oil presser

workshop Manuel below

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AtZSoWFHDgnGhQoLf-ZCjkI5M0R7

Brilliant source! I can confirm the oil pressure-values Smile
Post #638250 18th Jul 2017 3:51pm
4wd-junky

United Kingdom 
Thanks hornet, for your suggestions and photos.

I think my oil pressure switch is working 100%, as I can now predict exactly how quickly it will turn off depending on how I start the engine. Under certain conditions the glow plug system appears to somehow delay the low oil pressure light switching off.

Also, I have now convinced myself that all is well with my oil pressure Thumbs Up
Post #638262 18th Jul 2017 5:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>