↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Loan of a magnet drill
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TVR Tommy

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
Loan of a magnet drill
Does anyone have a mag drill I could borrow (rent) in the Buckinghamshire area. I need to drill out 2 bolts in the rear crossmember. One now has a tap shattered in it. I've had a couple of goes at trying to get one of the snapped bolts out. They've both sheered flush with the inner rivnut in the rear crossmember member. .

It's proving a real bitch to get the bolts out.
Post #637377 13th Jul 2017 8:41pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I'm not sure you're going to be able to drill out a broken tap? Theyre as hard if not harder than drill bits.
Post #637422 14th Jul 2017 12:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As zsd says above, you won't be able to drill out a tap, you'll just break more drills trying. I think also that you'ii find that the crossmember is too thin and insufficient in area to get a mag drill to stick - they need an clear flat area as large as the base of the drill and generally around 6mm+ in order to get sufficient adhesion.

You should be able to drill out the bolt (without the tap fragment) sufficient to remove it with a hand-held drill, obviously grind the surface flat and centre punch first. Left hand bits are generally useful for this,. but if it's a large-ish diameter bolt I'd be inclined to use a conventional RH flute drill (much cheaper should you break one).

The one with the tap will give you a problem if you can't remove the tap fragment first (the best way to remove a broken tap with with spark erosion, so you could build yourself a spark erosion machine - books are available - but this isn't likely to be a sensible option). It is hard to suggest other courses of action without seeing the current situation - how much is protruding, how bing the sheared bolt is, how big the broken tap is, etc. A photo migt help.

Bottom line unfortunately is that it is going to be very difficult, you may even end up having to cut and plate the crossmember.

Next time, don't break a tap off in the bolt! Taps should only ever be broken off in workpieces that can be thrown away and started again!

Last edited by blackwolf on 14th Jul 2017 8:54am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #637438 14th Jul 2017 8:53am
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I may have the wrong idea on your problem, but have you thought about grinding the collar of the rivet away? Ive done this a couple of times when the bolt has seized then sheared at the face and the rivet lost its grip. If it will work, just remember to put lots of tape around the outer collar of the rivnut then use something like a Dremel or a chisel.
Post #637439 14th Jul 2017 8:54am
TVR Tommy

The reason I want to use a mag drill is that the bits are hollow centered. So tap won't come into play it'll drill around it and take out the captured nut collar. I could use a multi hole cutter but finding one that's 14mm is proving troublesome.

The description of it being a rivnut probably wasn't the best it's more of a captured nut.
Post #637454 14th Jul 2017 9:57am
Romadog

Could we have a pic of your predicament please?
If nothing else it puts some colour into thread unless its a black and white pic?!! Whistle

A good handle on the situation and locality helps when advising on next step forward Thumbs Up
Post #637457 14th Jul 2017 10:23am
blackwolf

How big is the tap you've broken?

The hole up the middle of a 14mm Rotabroach cutter is only going to be 6mm to accomodate the standard 5mm pilot pin.

You'd also have to run the drill without the pilot pin (and hence without coolant/lube), which tends to lead to cutter breakage.

Which insert/hole is it? One of the smaller towbar fastenings?
Post #637460 14th Jul 2017 10:42am
TVR Tommy

It is the bottom tow bar /nas step fasterning that's giving me greif.
I've now found a multi hole cutter that fits so I'll have a go at drilling out the captured nuts collar later.

I still need to get the middle snapped bolt out. I was thinking heat and a dreaded easyout. I must admit it's not easy drilling the hole centered and straight up whilst laying on your back.
Post #637467 14th Jul 2017 11:31am
blackwolf

Aha, I wondered if it was perhaps those!

You may find that it screws in more easily than out, so you could drill a hole in the end, tap a torx bit into the hole (without spreading the bolt) and try screwing it in, the theory being that the bolt thread in the insert is in better condition than the bolt thread in the crud in the crossmember. I imagine that you have already doused the offending fittings with PLus-Gas or similar through the access holes in the rear face of the crossmember?

I can well imagine how hard it is to drill accurately upwards, in an unfomrtable position and limited space, with swarf cascading on top of you! Been there, done that, more times than I care to remember. You may find that bolting some kind of bar or supporting structure onto the crossmember using the other holes may help.

One thing I can tell you is that unless you bolt a hefty flat plate on the bottom of the crossmember first, a mag drill won't help you at all to drill upwards in this case - the crossmember isn't big, thick, flat, or probably clean enough to provide adequate adhesion.

When you do finally manage to get them out and are fitting new ones, I suggest copious use of appropriate lubricant, grease, ACF-50, or similar to try to prevent the new ones corroding into place when the crossmember fills up with grot.
Post #637469 14th Jul 2017 11:43am
Lateralus

United States 
Use a hard punch and hammer to shatter the broken tap out. The only other way to remove the tap is with a carbide end mill in a vertical mill which is out of the question in your application. Wear gloves and goggles.
Post #637926 17th Jul 2017 7:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1