Home > Puma (Tdci) > Brake lamp on dash comes and goes on its own
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Brake lamp on dash comes and goes on its own
Hi Folks,

I've tried searching for this on here to no avail, so I'd appreciate some thoughts please.

The red 'brake' symbol on the lower half of my fuel gauge (2014 110 van) flickers on and off intermittently. It comes on with the handbrake as it should, but often does it after I've used the footbrake during normal driving.

I've stripped and cleaned the little switch under the handbrake gaiter in the cab, but it still does it. Is it operated by any other switches or sensors on the brakes anywhere please?

Thanks very much for any help.
Post #637319 13th Jul 2017 4:08pm
dorsetsmith

all so brake fluid level switch

if it proves to be ok check wire loom beside gear box chafing
Post #637320 13th Jul 2017 4:16pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Make sure that the fluid level is well up in the reservoir. On my Puma, if I let it drop to the MAX mark, the light will flicker on if I brake going down hill, and I keep the fluid just in the bottom of the neck of the reservoir.
Post #637322 13th Jul 2017 4:37pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
The terminal on the top of these often become a corroded mess too, check the wires havent broken off and touching each other.

The Fluid level switch is basically a very crude brake pad wear indicator. When the pads wear the pistons come further out so take up more fluid, which makes the level drop and brings the light on.
Post #637325 13th Jul 2017 5:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I would also suggest the same as Blackwolf above. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #637331 13th Jul 2017 5:30pm
Joe the Plumber

Thanks very much folks. I'll have a look at that.
Post #637391 13th Jul 2017 9:22pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Check your brake pads before adding brake fluid. When they are worn down, the fluid level will go down as well. BUT! If you added brake fluid then changed out the pads, you will find that the brake fluid will overflow.
Post #637425 14th Jul 2017 2:42am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I am no mechanic, so this might be mis-guided, but the Defender I used on the LR Experience done the same thing. The instructor blamed a poorly adjusted hand brake??
Post #637430 14th Jul 2017 7:07am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
HardCharger wrote:
Check your brake pads before adding brake fluid. When they are worn down, the fluid level will go down as well. BUT! If you added brake fluid then changed out the pads, you will find that the brake fluid will overflow.

Good workshop practice says that you always check the fluid level before changing pads and lower the reservoir level if there is likely to be an overflow issue beforehand. Also changing the pads in one caliper at a time then firming the pedal before moving to the next minimises the increase in fluid level.
Post #637434 14th Jul 2017 8:31am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I had this and the flickering light drove me mad! Research directed me to check the brake fluid level but as it was within the 'min' and 'max' marks on the reservoir I assumed this not to be the issue.

I went on to clean the contacts on handbrake switch, brake pedal switch and brake fluid reservoir level sender but the light still flickered.
Next I replaced the brake pedal switch (because I broke it cleaning the contacts Embarassed) but the light still flickered.

I then did a bit of playing with the brake fluid reservoir level sender. Connecting both spade terminals together with a piece of wire causes the light to fully illuminate, therefore breaking the circuit (disconnecting the level sender completely) should put the light out. I unplugged the fluid reservoir level sender for a few days and the light no longer flickered so I was fairly sure the problem was here however on replacing the sender unit for a new JLR part the light still flickered - infuriating!

I had read online that wiring insulation can wear through causing a short to earth which can lead to light flickering so I had pretty much given up hope thinking this was likely to be the issue. Then months later I had some brake fluid handy so topped up the brake fluid reservoir slightly above the 'max mark' and low and behold, problem solved!

Lesson learned - always start with the basics!

As said, if your fluid level is plentiful just be careful of overflows next brake pad change
Post #637444 14th Jul 2017 9:21am
Joe the Plumber

Just to update this, I've finally got around to topping up my brake fluid (it was literally just below maximum) and, sure enough, the flickering warning light has stopped appearing.

I suppose it seems obvious after the event. Perhaps the warning lights do actually work...!

Thanks again for the help folks.
Post #642511 8th Aug 2017 6:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1