↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Yet another audio upgrade tale - with a happy ending
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
glpinxit

United Kingdom 
Yet another audio upgrade tale - with a happy ending
I've been dipping in and out of various sound upgrade threads for a while and thought I'd start a new one now I'm finally done with improving the sound in my MY 2014 90 XS. I've kept the standard Alpine CDE133BT head unit and added Alpine KTP445A amplifier, Audison speakers (2 x AP1 tweeters and AP4 4" mids in the front and 2 x 4" APX4 coax in the rear) and Alpine SWE1200 sub.

Various things to say -
- I'm really delighted with the sound. Even Mrs GLP thinks there is enough bass and it isn't giving much away to her SLK Mercedes overall.
- Without the sub, there isn't a huge difference between the standard and Audison speakers at low volumes. At higher volume the Audisons sound much smoother and less harsh. Model numbers are AP1, AP4 and APX4.
- The tweeters need a mount fabricating to fit in the standard dash-top locations - I simply cut round the original tweeters perforated grilles and carefully fettled the resulting bezel to fit.
- The sub really does make a big difference. And it is fully controllable from the Alpine HU so there is no need for the (supplied) controller (2 knobs plus a phase switch).
- I hadn't heard of Audison before I started looking for upgrade speakers. But Focal is having an identity crisis and Audison seems to be well regarded (deservedly as it transpires).
- The Alpine amp is a real treasure. It is really easy to install (plug and play to the Alpine head-unit) and small enough to go in the dash. It gives 45 watts RMS each into 4 channels (probably why the standard speakers were a bit overwhelmed).
- Lastly, i bought one pair of the matching Audison 4" grilles. They match the speakers well, as you would expect. But they are too big for my taste- both in depth (over half an inch) and diameter (nearer five inches) so I've reused the original ones which fit fine. Cheers, Guy.
Post #635445 3rd Jul 2017 10:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1