↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Stolen Overnight-A1HTY
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
At least the police seem to be taking an interest in the theft. Let's hope their search for DNA is successful and leads them to the scroats. Fingers crossed. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #634846 1st Jul 2017 7:07am
ROBBONTHEROCK

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Firenze Red
How did they find the tracker, i wonder?

Cheers
Andy
Post #634849 1st Jul 2017 7:15am
Darcy Fairfax

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Was it raining the night it was nicked?
Post #634862 1st Jul 2017 8:46am
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Robbo, sounds to me that the police found the tracker because they looked for it. Credit where it's due.

Other items worth searching for at or around crime scenes are cig butts and drinks cans etc
Post #634869 1st Jul 2017 9:51am
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Also yes, by definition you must have a suspect vehicle to cross match tread patterns. Hope that wasn't a police excuse for ignoring the tyre tracks.

Evidence found at a scene needs to be preserved/recorded so that a comparison can be made should a suspect vehicle subsequently come to notice. Basic Inspector Morse stuff Thumbs Up
Post #634870 1st Jul 2017 9:58am
isacs

United Kingdom 
I'd put money on it being the same crew that took ade90's defender not long ago
Post #634873 1st Jul 2017 10:16am
corgi1

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I thought I had put a reply to this, about cutting their hands off, but its disappeared, does someone take off posts that are slightly risky ?
Pete
Post #634875 1st Jul 2017 10:49am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I believe it is a PC website.

I'm often amazed (not here) but just how much stuff these days is not deemed PC.
But it this of course a one way slippery slope.
Post #634882 1st Jul 2017 11:33am
isacs

United Kingdom 
It is now making me question defender ownership
Post #634883 1st Jul 2017 11:51am
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
corgi1 wrote:
I thought I had put a reply to this, about cutting their hands off, but its disappeared, does someone take off posts that are slightly risky ?
Pete

Maybe cutting their testes off would have less of a religious connotation Sheep 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #634885 1st Jul 2017 12:45pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hands and head should work Twisted Evil
Post #634886 1st Jul 2017 1:05pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
i thought sky tags were supposed to alarm when they are disconnected from the battery?

another reason I'm glad i got rid of mine...
Post #634888 1st Jul 2017 1:13pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
i thought sky tags were supposed to alarm when they are disconnected from the battery?

They do by text and email but if people are asleep what can you do.

If mine moves out its normal parking area at night all the phones ,mobile and L/L start ringing. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #634902 1st Jul 2017 2:56pm
HTY30

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Alpine White
I have been at work again but will try and answer some of the points raised:-

Yes it was raining at the time of the theft.Not heavily but enough to turn the dust to mud.

Cigarette butts,cans of drink etc etc-left by amateurs or kids.

Sky Tag-it worked and was effective but ultimately was easily located and defeated. I had it fitted professionally as I don't have the time or skill to do it myself. I know where it was and it was obviously too easy to locate. So those of you who has one in the rear estate headlining think again!!!

Sky Tag is a relatively cheap and simple tracking system.It works but you have to be realistic-it won't stop theft.Tracker/TrackStar and all the other systems are good (and I have used them in other vehicles) but again these just provide a small window of opportunity ,after the theft to locate the vehicle.What someone needs to develop is a system that works as soon as it senses someone in the proximity of your vehicle. it needn't sound an alarm just alert you. I am sure that this is possible seeing as to how modern vehicles have very good and reliable sensors to aid reversing etc. I haven't found a reliable system that does this but I am still looking.The other option is something mechanical to prevent the lifting of vehicles which seems to be the preferred M/O now.

Will I have another Landy? Not at the moment. I can't safely look after it and prevent another theft where I leave it. But I am working on it and will have another when I have resolved some issues and have ensured that I can look after it properly. I loved my truck,it was more than a truck and the children as much as anyone have been upset by its loss. It took us on those small irrelevant holidays and trips that identify what/who we are.It was great fun and had character and spirit.It was fun and as the children have said 'made every boring trip seem like an adventure'.The biggest loss by far is not so much the vehicle (which can be replaced) but the stickers stuck to the inside rear panels that we bought whenever and wherever we travelled.By never having another I feel that I would be giving in. I can't do that.

One thing that I think would also be a significant help is people asking questions.We all cruise Ebay,Gumtree and other spare part websites looking for a bargain. But how many of us honestly ask how a set of 5 undamaged alloy wheels, full interior sets or low mileage engines/gearboxes etc from newish vehicle have become available for sale. All of these stolen parts are not going abroad -they simply can't be.

In addition we all need to be aware of the less honest amongst website visitors.There is little or no security on these forums. I can access the content from any computer without signing in. It would be naive to believe that the thieves and traders who profit from the misery of others aren't reading this or any other comments.They have a vested interest in knowing all about these vehicles-its currently the way that they pay their bills.

There-rant over!!I am annoyed and Censored off!!! I shouldn't be I know-its just a car. Just a lump of metal and plastic. Unreliable,grouchy when cold,in need of constant maintenance and expensive to run.But it was mine and it made me happy.
Post #635008 1st Jul 2017 11:14pm
HTY30

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Alpine White
I have been at work again but will try and answer some of the points raised:-

Yes it was raining at the time of the theft.Not heavily but enough to turn the dust to mud.

Cigarette butts,cans of drink etc etc-left by amateurs or kids.

Sky Tag-it worked and was effective but ultimately was easily located and defeated. I had it fitted professionally as I don't have the time or skill to do it myself. I know where it was and it was obviously too easy to locate. So those of you who has one in the rear estate headlining think again!!!

Sky Tag is a relatively cheap and simple tracking system.It works but you have to be realistic-it won't stop theft.Tracker/TrackStar and all the other systems are good (and I have used them in other vehicles) but again these just provide a small window of opportunity ,after the theft to locate the vehicle.What someone needs to develop is a system that works as soon as it senses someone in the proximity of your vehicle. it needn't sound an alarm just alert you. I am sure that this is possible seeing as to how modern vehicles have very good and reliable sensors to aid reversing etc. I haven't found a reliable system that does this but I am still looking.The other option is something mechanical to prevent the lifting of vehicles which seems to be the preferred M/O now.

Will I have another Landy? Not at the moment. I can't safely look after it and prevent another theft where I leave it. But I am working on it and will have another when I have resolved some issues and have ensured that I can look after it properly. I loved my truck,it was more than a truck and the children as much as anyone have been upset by its loss. It took us on those small irrelevant holidays and trips that identify what/who we are.It was great fun and had character and spirit.It was fun and as the children have said 'made every boring trip seem like an adventure'.The biggest loss by far is not so much the vehicle (which can be replaced) but the stickers stuck to the inside rear panels that we bought whenever and wherever we travelled.By never having another I feel that I would be giving in. I can't do that.

One thing that I think would also be a significant help is people asking questions.We all cruise Ebay,Gumtree and other spare part websites looking for a bargain. But how many of us honestly ask how a set of 5 undamaged alloy wheels, full interior sets or low mileage engines/gearboxes etc from newish vehicle have become available for sale. All of these stolen parts are not going abroad -they simply can't be.

In addition we all need to be aware of the less honest amongst website visitors.There is little or no security on these forums. I can access the content from any computer without signing in. It would be naive to believe that the thieves and traders who profit from the misery of others aren't reading this or any other comments.They have a vested interest in knowing all about these vehicles-its currently the way that they pay their bills.

There-rant over!!I am annoyed and Censored off!!! I shouldn't be I know-its just a car. Just a lump of metal and plastic. Unreliable,grouchy when cold,in need of constant maintenance and expensive to run.But it was mine and it made me happy.
Post #635009 1st Jul 2017 11:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>