↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Oil Catch tank - breather hose
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
sherifsalem

Portugal 2005 Defender 90 Td5 ST Java Black
Oil Catch tank - breather hose
Appreciate the help on "OiL Catch Tanks" being added to the breather tube of the TD5 engine to retain oil vapour to circulate in the air intake.

Are there significant benefits? My Landy is a TD5 2005 model under 50K - removed EGR

One thing i read is by installing an oil catcher i would lose positive ventilation, in my case i dont have a re-mapped or chipped landy, is positive ventilation would still be an issue (If I respect the gravity hose rule)

Last question fellows, do these oil catch tanks connect again to the airintake or is it a stand alone (meaning the breather hose is connected to the catch tank that collects the vapours and it ends there) no back circulation.

Do you fellows recommend it.....as an adaptation that would retain significant oil vapours from circulating in the air intake

Thanx Happy Travel
www.thegippo.wordpress.com
Post #198455 2nd Jan 2013 7:42pm
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Hi and Welcome,

I have just fitted a Provent 200, seems to be working well. Much better than a cheap aluminium breather tank bought off ebay.

Do a search on AULRO.com for provent 200, this should help you out. I only fitted it over xmas so not much to say yet. I have it vented to atmosphere not back into the inlet system.

Steve 
Post #198533 3rd Jan 2013 12:16am
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
There is a poorly designed hybrid labyrinth/cyclonic chamber in the rocker cover on the TD5. I't 2 major floors are

1. The gasket that "seals" the chambers which allows free passage between them

2. That any oil captured by the process has no where to go.

So all it really does is restricts crank case ventilation.

I have 2 modified covers here which I will try out to see if I have improved the design at all once I get my defender back. I will test as accurately as I can be fitting a catch tank and measure the blow by volume.

The ProVent as it is both cyclonic and coalescing seems to be a good solution. Steve, where did you route the oil drain? Into the turbo oil return pipe?
Post #198539 3rd Jan 2013 1:07am
Steve B

Hello,

Interesting thoughts on the camcover, would be good to read what you find out.

I have not routed the drain anywhere, I have about 250mm of clear pipe capped off to keep an eye on any oil collected. Nothing yet, but I have only done about 15 miles so this is good Smile

Click image to enlarge

Post #198558 3rd Jan 2013 8:39am
sherifsalem

Thanx Steve, i am checking the Provent 200 solution.

I am looking at your picture and i am getting the idea that your breather hose has been routed to the provent filter (left) and there is another tube coming out below ( cant see where it is routed)

I checked a Provent fitting
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutoria...110-a.html

1- The lower hose was re-routed again to the air intake using existing depression valve control (TOP). is that what you did? or did you re-routed to a simple canister to keep an eye on the Oil.

Appreciate clarifying where the lower hose from the provent goes.

Thanx Steve Happy Travel
Post #198573 3rd Jan 2013 11:57am
sherifsalem

my thoughts fellows are the following:

Cant i simply route the breather hose directly to a simple canister ( and since my landy is not chipped) i should not worry much about the positive ventilation issue

Here is a link by a french guy who did just that :

AUTOpsie Moteur TD5 LAND ROVER, supprimer l'EGR, améliorer en restant d'origine.

1- He routed the hose to a canister (therefore eliminated completely any oil in the circuit)

2- You need as well to block the DCV (depression control valve) with a rubber or cap (otherwise you risk damaging your turbo.

i see it as a simple straight forward....or am i missing something Happy Travel
Post #198579 3rd Jan 2013 12:10pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
You must always maintain a positive crank case pressure. Not having a valve in the system could lead to vacuum being drawn in the crank case.

If not using the DCV you should put an alternative PCV somewhere in the system. Dead simple to include in a pipe between the rocker cover and your catch tank.
Post #198614 3rd Jan 2013 1:31pm
sherifsalem

Hi Steve , i guess i understood something more if you can confirm that....

the lower hose that you have must go back to the valve (marked Top) correct??

What you did is in the Bottom of the Provent there is a outlet ( and this is where you placed a canister to check the oil mist depositing)

i hope you can enlight me on this.... Happy Travel
Post #198618 3rd Jan 2013 1:38pm
sherifsalem

Thanx Me,

So what you are saying that blocking my DCV and routing breather hose to a canister i will lose positive pressure (ventiliation from crankcase ) something that i should defenitely avoid.

I didnt understand the DEAD SIMPLE part.

You mean that i should be using instead of a canister, i should use an OIL CATCH TANK between the crankcase and the DCV.

can you elaborate please me. Happy Travel
Post #198638 3rd Jan 2013 2:28pm
Steve B

sherifsalem wrote:
Hi Steve , i guess i understood something more if you can confirm that....

the lower hose that you have must go back to the valve (marked Top) correct??

What you did is in the Bottom of the Provent there is a outlet ( and this is where you placed a canister to check the oil mist depositing)

i hope you can enlight me on this....

Hi Shefifsalem,

The outlet hose just goes under the vehicle and out the back, you can return it into the pre turbo inlet if you wish but I have this capped off.

Yes, the lower pipe which the collected oil from the breather pipe exits goes into a clear pipe which is an oil collector. This could be drained back into the sump but I am guessing this wont be necessary, it will be another service item and drained on an oil change.

It will be interesting to see how much it collects over time. If you do return to the sump then a valve is available to stop oil coming up the pipe into the provent and out the air out into the pre turbo pipe (if connected) and being consumed by the engine.

Steve 
Post #198828 4th Jan 2013 8:40am
quentin

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
About 50,000 klm ago I removed the intercooler from Td5 to clean it out, it had 120,000 klm from new at that stage, I poured about 250ml oil out of it.

I then installed a Provent200 "catch can" with hose and stopcock on bottom, every 5000klm I drain it and get about 1/2 a teacup of oil. This oil would otherwise be going thru your turbo (not good) and thru your intercooler coating the inside and settling on the bottom, and gunging up your MAP sensor.

a few weeks ago I took the intercooler out again to install a Allisport job and happy to say there was NO oil inside the old intercooler after 50,000 klm - the Provent REALLY works.

heres some pics of my install on this AULRO page (Im banned on there at the moment)

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/90-110-130-defen...ost1813668

happy new year
Post #198849 4th Jan 2013 11:08am
sherifsalem

Thanx you all for helping me out.... true LR enthusiats

So far from all what i read Provent 200 is a more sophisticated solution for filtering oil vapor than a normal oil catch Tank in Ebay.

the superiority of mechamism and filtering really cope better with our TD5 turbo charged diesel engines.

An oil catch tank will as well and do the job but not as good as provent 85%-90% filtering....mist will continue to pass to the airintake. (looks like a fast half solution)

Maybe be you wont feel improvement in the engine but this will sure drastically eliminate the oil vapour in the air intake ( you will get rid of sludge that is if you have removed your EGR as well)

As for the pretty basic setup of taking out the breather hose and routing it to a canister and just blocking the Decompression control valve......you will affect your crankcase positive ventilation ( i dont know how serious this is but looks doubtful)

my 2 cents Happy Travel
Post #198875 4th Jan 2013 1:03pm
Steve B

That's pretty much it, don't worry about PCV. Ideally you want negative pressure in the crank case, the less pressure the better.

The PCV just helps regulate gasses going back into the inlet by creating a positive pressure before the PCV opens at a preset pressure and purges the gasses in a regulated fashion into the inlet. Pretty sure the TD5 does not have such a valve, I just chucked it in the bin.

Another positive of deleting this return is that should you have an engine problem for example 'lots of diesel in the oil from a cracked head' then the engine will not be able to run on its own oil until destruction.

Did 50 miles today, much better than the cheap eBay tank. The cheap tank probably did very little, you could smell the breather. Now there is nothing, nothing in the drain pipe either. Quentin's information is pretty solid. Definitely not worth draining back into the sump.

Steve 
Post #199001 4th Jan 2013 8:57pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Steve

Where did you get your Provent from ?

All that I have found so far are in Aus or the US.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #199032 4th Jan 2013 9:40pm
Steve B

I'm afraid I lucked in to 1 new old stock.

Here do them but very £££. http://inlinefilters.co.uk/index.php?main_...s_id=21884 
Post #199801 7th Jan 2013 9:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>